Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Top Tips for the Le Puy Route?

Discussion in 'Le Puy en Velay to Santiago de Compostela' started by IrishGurrrl, Feb 26, 2014.

1. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

Hey folks - as some of you know I'm heading on my third camino in April to walk the Le Puy Route [​IMG]

I've already walked the Camino Frances and Finisterre but was wondering if there are many things different to the Camino Frances I need to watch out for on my upcoming French camino... such as shop opening hours etc., which stages lack shops/provisions, how much money to carry (i.e. are there many ATMs) etc.... Also I was curious as what you found were highlights on this particular route......

Your top tips and highlights welcome please [​IMG] Hopefully this thread will be of use to all future Le Puy'ers! [​IMG]

Eilish

2. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    My first tip is get the Mein Mein Dodo, it lists all the Gites and albergues along the way.

i highly recommend walking boots, I walked with walking shoes and suffered for it. The tracks are much rougher than Spain. Don't plan to walk as far each day compared to the Camino Frances, it is much hillier with lots of up and downs. It is more expensive to stay each night.

I wrote a bit of info on this when we walked, I carried a little computer, (mad), but I have not put the info up on the site, this should spur me to do so. I also have GPS traces for the days till Conques where we finished - so should be able to put up the elevation for this shortly.

it is nearly two yrs ago when we walked and I found it hard going, also it was very, very hot at the time we went.

it would also be helpful if you know a bit of French, I don't but my other half does, so she was able to book the hostels ahead each day.

3. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

Thanks Leslie for the tips... Have the Miam Miam Dodo and my trusty boots - wouldn't leave home without them! We're scaling down the distances dramatically for the first 2 weeks and going to take a rest day every 4 or 5 days hopefully based on advice from people who have already done it - I've 6 weeks so that's more than plenty of time even with the extra days off sightseeing :) Heading in mid-April so if anything it might be a little chilly with snow for at least the April bit! I do expect it to warm up considerably in May although from what I gather it can be very wet :) I prefer it to be on the cool side than hot for walking so provided its not windy wet and miserable I will be happy out :) A little bit concerned on my fitness levels this time around as its been virtually impossible to go hillwalking at weekends with the weather we've been having but I'm going to be upping my game with weekday evening walks in hilly Cork City so hoping that will make all the difference :)

Luckily I have some French even if its a bit rusty I will get by :)

What time of year did you walk it Leslie -did you walk the full route to St Jean?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  4. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    We walked the first two weeks of June 2012.

I doubt that that I will likely get a month off for the next few years, it was easier when I had less responsibility - so I am now more a long weekend and a week or two at the time, still it's not a hard life, I get to do a lot of what I like.

i have thought about going back and finishing it, however we moved last year to Prague and there are two Camino routes in the south of the country here, so they will likely be first.

i can agree with the fitness, mine has dropped quite a bit, I have a constant battle in this area - like most of the human race....

5. clearer_skies

clearer_skies Member

Home Page:
  6. Kennyt

Kennyt New Member

im hoping to walk Le Puy route in September, and is it essential to speak French ?? may be i will meet some other treker that does have a understanding of French, hoping to go all the way to Santiago....:rolleyes:

7. Orla

Orla New Member

HI Kenny

Im planning on walking part of the way from Le Puy. Have three weeks, but I think as it is steeper that distances will be shorter. At least at the beginning. I think a lot of Quebecqois walk this stretch and most have pretty good English....so you should be fine.
    Best of luck
    Orla

8. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Has anyone taken the variant route along the Cele river from Figeac to Cahors? Thinking about it but would like some data if anyone has any.

9. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

Hi Rocky, yes a few people on this forum have done the Cele Valley route. Rather than repeat everything again here I suggest you do a quick search in the Le Puy Section of the forum and you will get all the info you need

10. Hi, I plan start in around April 25 and would appreciate your input on the weather in April

11. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

Hi Roger,

the weather really depends on the year and to a certain extent... luck! Starting at the end of April is a good idea as the likelihood of snow at higher elevations is greatly reduced. When I walked it in 2014 I started from Le Puy around the 15th April. We actually had unseasonally warm to hot weather for the time of year (in the 20's for a few days!). Once you get up to higher elevations (Aubrac) it can get cooler (and much cooler at that). We did get some rain (and some heavy rain at that), but from memory it was only a handful of days out of 6 weeks. It really is so hard to predict the weather and temperatures but you will probably have a good idea of temperatures and expected rainfall in the run up to your departure date if you check out the extended forecasts on sites like this http://www.accuweather.com/en/fr/le-puy-en-velay/132161/january-weather/132161. In any event, prepare for all seasons... just layers, raingear etc as you would normally do hiking.

You are definitely picking a great time of year to hike the trail so enjoy!

12. Mike from Canada

Mike from Canada Member

I walked SJPDP to Finisterre last June/July and this may sound like a silly question but is the Le Puy route marked with shells and arrows making it easier to stay on course?

13. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

@Mike from Canada its marked with "balisages" aka red and white stripes (blazes) directing you either straight ahead, left or right. You'll find the balisages on trees, rocks and walks etc as you walk along. It's fantastically marked and even has signposts in some of the most popular sections. The only thing you need to watch for is when it crosses another trail. :)

Mike from Canada likes this.
  14. Mike from Canada

Mike from Canada Member

Thank you. I actually remember seeing those for the first few days outside of SJPDP. Great to know, not sure when i'll be doing this as we plan to do the Del Norte in June 2019. Le Puy has really spiked my interest as well though :)

15. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

Yeah it's definitely worth doing. By the way, I'm currently on the Camino Primitivo (near the del Norte) and I would HIGHLY recommend it. Takes 2-3 weeks depending on fitness levels. It's a tough Camino (reputedly the toughest) so it's recommended to keep the distances lower than normal. Pilgrims sometimes divert off the del Norte to do it.... It's a stunningly beautiful trail so far is all I can say :)

16. Mike from Canada

Mike from Canada Member

Did you begin on the Primitivo or stray from the Del Norte?

17. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

I'm just doing part of the Primitivo this time (as far as Lugo) as I've already done the Camino Frances and want to avoid the crowds. It officially starts in Oviedo and joins the CF in Melide but there are other options so as to avoid joining the CF. Some people recommend sticking to the del Norte the whole way if it the first time you're doing it as you may never get to see that last bit if you divert to the CP... Choices choices! :) Regardless I highly recommend doing the Camino Primitivo at some stage. If you want to check out some photos and micro videos of the trail I'm currently posting daily on my Instagram account at www.instagram.com/mayogurrrl

Enjoy whatever you decide to do :)

hindsfeet likes this.
  18. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

IrishGurrl, really enjoyed your pics......beautiful!!

IrishGurrrl likes this.
  19. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

Thanks! :)

hindsfeet likes this.