1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tortilla Española

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wily, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

I was craving something Spanish this morning! So, a tortilla española or tortilla de patatas seemed like the perfect dish to take me back to a few of my culinary memories from the Camino. I’ve tried this recipe a couple times and it always turns out perfectly (do be sure to use a good non-stick skillet).

https://www.thespruceeats.com/spanish-omelet-tortilla-espanola-3083734

My only variations on the recipe is that if I’m using a 12” skillet, I add an extra egg. I also boil my potatoes and onions (al dente) instead of frying them. It’s a great brunch dish for home or to bring to a get-together.

85323671-EA15-4389-A099-9CAC010BA98E.jpeg

Buen provecho!

2. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

Wily, that looks delicious! I consumed many of those....a dab of hot sauce on it hits the spot. Ok, I guess now would be a good time to mention my 5 hour trip to the emergency room while on the Camino, in which I named you as an accomplice.
    My blood pressure has always been really low. Never had a problem with it. I felt amazing on the Camino everyday except ONE. In the middle of the night, I woke up at 3:00am to use the restroom. I was on the bottom bunk. I could NOT get out of the bed. I was not just dizzy, the entire room was spinning. A little green light that was on the wall kept going round and round so that I could not even stand. I thought that I was having a nightmare and just closed my eyes to try and exit the dream. Well, was not a dream. Of course, I had no phone of my own. I knew no one in the Albergue. My Camino family had bussed ahead because of injuries. I couldn't wake a snoring Pilgrim up at 3:00! I felt so sick to my stomach and couldn't stop the twirling in my head. An hour later it seemed to get worse. The German Pilgrim in the top bunk (who spoke NO English) woke up at 4:00 to use the restroom. I communicated with him to call 112. An ambulance came and took me away. My blood pressure was 162/99. they thought that I was having a stroke. The Drs. and I communicated thru a translater phone. They put a pill under my tongue, ripped my shirt off and did an EKG, took blood samples and gave me two shots in the left side, and one shot on the right. I thought that I was going to die. But it is so strange, because I felt so peaceful, I just put my hands to my side, prayed for my family and thought, gee....well, if I go while on the Camino.....hmmmm, could be worse. Well, the pills and shots started to work and I started to gain balance again. After just resting on the table, the Drs. came back and said that the cause was from too much sodium in my blood, that I am eating too much of the Spanish food. That my system is not used to that. AHA......Wily, I am blaming you for a whole year of pictures, enticing me with all there is to consume while on the Camino!!! Ha....They told me to take a taxi back to the Parish where I was staying, and sleep. I was still dizzy, but I slept for 12 hours, woke up and never felt better. Was afraid to eat the next day...I didn't want it to come back. But....after that I continued to eat everything once again and never had that problem ever. Felt wonderful everyday after that. Strange....:D By the way, all of the people that I met at that Hospital were the most caring, wonderful people. I felt in such good hands with them. I thought.....yikes, this will probably cost plenty...good thing I had my Credit Card with me. They all hugged me and said...."Pilgrim, you do not owe us anything". What? Sheesh....amazing..........Cut me a slice of that TORTILLA PATATAS!

3. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Amazing story Hinds...so glad it had a happy ending....even though you wrote it, I was worried the whole read!
    Myself, I miss Basque cake, and Patattas Bravas! Love that spice.

4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Wily, the tortilla looks great! My wife and I had this many mornings and sometimes for lunch. Very tasty, filling and inexpensive.

A few of our favorites, which we had not tried before our caminos were pulpo and morcilla (Spanish blood sausage).

Hindsfeet, that's a scary story. Glad you are alright ! Bob

Ginamarie, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  5. Wily

Hey Bob - Although I didn’t get to try the morcilla (a definite must have next time), I never passed up an opportunity for the pulpo. If for no other reason, I’d return to Gallicia just to eat. Buen Camino!

hindsfeet likes this.
  6. Wily

Hey Hinds - Wow, what a Camino experience! Too much sodium! I often think about the need to replenish sodium, potassium, etc. due to heat and exertion, but too much sodium? So glad it all came out well after your visit to the hospital! Your story again reinforces to me the great quality of the people we meet walking. And, they’re not just our fellow pilgrims. Although I’ve not yet had this kind of experience, the wonderful people of Spain and Portugal have been among some of the kindest people whom I’ve had the pleasure of meeting in my travels. As I said not all that long ago, the Camino is all about the human interactions we have. As appreciative as you are for the care you received, I’m confident that they were equally grateful to assist you on your pilgrimage. Unfortunately, I have to plead guilty of setting the stage for this all to happen with those food pictures. Ok now, let’s have a slice of that tortilla. Buen Camino!

7. hindsfeet

Thanks Bob....I might not be a real balanced person though, because it seems like I am not afraid of anything. You just kind of go with the flow. :D Well, to be honest, how I usually gauge circumstances is with an exclamation of " I am NOT going to die, so just do it". Ha... but this time it did seem a little different.
    Oh, and you lost me at BLOOD SAUSAGE!!

Ginamarie and Wily like this.
  8. hindsfeet

Thanks for pleading guilty Wily!!! I will have a second helping, thank you....:D

Ginamarie, Corry and Wily like this.
  9. hindsfeet

Thank you CW. There is a "rest of the story", and an amazing one at that, but I don't think it belongs in this thread....don't want to mess things up. Sometimes I don't find out why things happen to me for a long time...but in two days I figured this one out.
    Anyway....more cake please!

10. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

When I studied in Spain in 1978, I heard about "blood sausage" and decided "no way I'd even try that". During our first camino in 2015, my wife and I were more adventurous and experienced more foods we really liked. Morcilla is tasty and a bit crunchy. We had some at the small bar in San Juan de Ortega. They boasted that theirs was the best in Spain - "even better than in Burgos". Then in Burgos, they said theirs was the best.

My dad was a meat and potatoes guy and we grew up eating only a few vegetables. The senora I lived with during my studies at the Universidad de Valencia introduced me to paella, artichokes, lentil bean soup and many kinds of fish. One of the reasons we keep going back to Spain is the food (and wine!)

Another Spanish first time delight during our first camino was "Caldo Gallego". Nothing better after a long day of hiking in the rain in Galicia. We had it every day for at least a week and sometimes two bowls each ! Bob

Ginamarie, Corry, UnkleHammy and 2 others like this.
  11. calowie

calowie Active Member

After our camino portuguese in 2016 that continued on to Finiserre and Muxia, we planned a few days on the Camino dos Faros (Camino of the lighthouses) that goes from Malpica to Finisterre. This is not an official camino, but details can be found at http://www.caminodosfaros.com/en/.

We stayed with a lady in Arou who decided that she would cook dinner for us. The salad was great, as was the fresh bread and chicken. Then she brought out the Tortilla Espanola.... an entire tortilla espanola! Now I know we expend a lot of energy and need to replenish ourselves, but this was far more than we could eat. So we packed up three quarters of the tortilla and the next day took it with us on our way to Camarinas. This was a good thing as there were so few places to find food that the tortilla was what got us to the end! I am sure eating an entire tortilla is not a balanced diet but it did fuel a lot of kilometres!

12. Corry

Corry New Member

hindsfeet likes this.
  13. Corry

Corry New Member

I am wondering are these food blogs and pictures still available? As a newbie I would love to have some advance puctorial experience of some Galician foods.

Thank you for this amazingly interesting blog each week, enjoy reading this.

Buen camino!

Canadian Wander and UnkleHammy like this.
  14. hindsfeet

Hi Corry....welcome to the forum, you are going to love it here. I discovered it a little over a year ago and I am so very grateful for all of the info, encouragement and experiences shared from all of the selfless, seasoned Pilgrims. I left for my first Camino at the end of April this year (Camino Frances). I gleaned so much helpful information, that I felt confident and peaceful about taking this amazing adventure! Regarding pictures of food, well I think that they are laced throughout almost every thread! :D Or at least talked about!
    If you cannot seem to find answers to your satisfaction by browsing the different threads, don't hesitate to throw your question out there. We are here to help YOU ! Let the FUN begin...planning YOUR Camino is a blast. But the Camino will surprise you also with a few new experiences....trust me! Buen Camino

15. Corry

Corry New Member

Thank you hindsfeet! I am not looking for any answers, just like to salivate and absorb and love all foods foreign and different! Looking forward to more blogs next week. We will be doung the Portuguese from Porto in March 2019, so little while to go but planning and being prepared is important. Very much looking forward to my very first Camino. buen camino everyone

hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  16. Wily

Hey Corry - Walked the Camino Portugués up from Porto a year and a half ago. It was a wonderful walk with great food along The Way. The seafood in both Portugal and Galicia is excellent! If you click onto my blog below this post, you should get a pretty good idea what this walk was like for us including numerous photos of what we ate.

Speaking of food, for those of you who get The Travel Channel, Andrew Zimmern’s show Bizarre Foods most recent episode is “Saint James Way in Spain.” If you’re familiar with the program, it’s all about food! It just aired for the first time this past week, but is due to be shown again on August 14 and 19. You’ll need to check your local listings for the show times in your areas.

https://www.travelchannel.com/shows/bizarre-foods/episodes/the-saint-james-way-in-spain

Buen Camino y Buen Provecho!

Canadian Wander and hindsfeet like this.
  17. Corry

Corry New Member

This us so cool! We are not in UK and cannot get this travel channel, but .... found the episode on you tube and will settle in tonight to watch. Thank you so much for alerting to this camino episode! Have pressed ‘follow’ so presume this will keep me in the loop now. Many thanks, cheers from Corry

Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  18. Wily

Hey Corry - I get The Travel Channel here in the States where I live. One probably has to have cable to receive it. In any case, thanks for finding it on Youtube. One can watch the episode now without waiting until later in the month.

Another introduction to food and eating along the Camino can be found on this short Youtube video that I ran across when looking for the Zimmern video.

In fact, if you simple enter “food along the Camino de Santiago” on Youtube, you’ll find quite a few culinary videos.

From start to finish, the food in Spain and Portugal is quite spectacular.

Buen Camino y Buen Provecho!

Corry, UnkleHammy and hindsfeet like this.
  19. hindsfeet

Gee Thanks Wily......we can always count on you to get our stomachs growling!! :D

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.