Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Tracking Miles.

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by NOQ1015, Jul 28, 2017.

1. NOQ1015

NOQ1015 Member

Hello my dear Pilgrim friends! What has been your most useful tool to track miles along the way?
    I'm leaving in 3 weeks..excited and nervous and buoyed by this amazing forum. Thanks so much!

2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey NOQ1015 - You must be excited about being so close to leaving for your Camino! I think that most of us have felt the exact things you are experiencing right now.

I may be in the minority here, but don't think about keeping track of your miles/steps as you walk. Enjoy the experience of the Camino for what it will bring you as you walk the many wonderful miles to Santiago.

However, if you are following the Brierley book, you can see stage by stage or town by town the number of kilometers you have traveled. I can't remember if the entire CF does this, but at least in Galicia, the stone Camino markers indicate on a small plate the number of kilometers remaining to Santiago. I understand that some folks like to know exactly how many steps they take daily or the number of calories the burn doing an activity, but IMHO that takes away from where one's real focus should be. My only regret, and it may become yours as well, is how quickly the miles pass and how soon the Camino comes to an end. Enjoy your walk! Keeping a rough idea on your progress will be easy to know. Buen Camino!

Greg Canning, Lila P. and hindsfeet like this.
  3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

NOQ1015 - There is a "km to Santiago" marker as you leave St Jean Pied de Port and many others along the way that indicate the distance to Santiago. Bob

Greg Canning and NOQ1015 like this.
  4. NOQ1015

NOQ1015 Member

Thanks again for your insight Wily. I am really looking forward to being as tech free as possible and taking each step as it comes. I am looking forward to taking detours along the way - to monasteries and Churches - but don't want to wander so far off the beaten track as to lose sight of the miles before the next village, albergue, meal and restroom. I have both guidebooks. and do find the mileage notes helpful. I also realize it depends on your stamina each day. Taking each day at a time, each step at a time, will be a wonderful experience and life lesson. Buen Camino!

Greg Canning, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  5. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey NOQ1015 - Don't worry about getting off the beaten path although we all make some wrong turns which is just part of the journey. Between scallop shells, yellow arrows, and other markers, you'll find the Camino well signed. Plus, there will be many other pilgrims out there either in front of you or behind you doing the very same thing. As you're all heading to Santiago, you'll have plenty of company and markers to keep you on the right path. Cities are sometimes a bit more difficult to navigate, but overall, you'll make it from village to village with no difficulty. And when in doubt, just ask someone. You'll find the people of Spain to be very welcoming and helpful when you need something. You seem to have a great attitude about your upcoming journey. Embrace it and it will be everything you hope it to be. Buen Camino!

UnkleHammy, Greg Canning and Lila P. like this.
  6. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

very soon you realize, that tracking your way is really not important on CAMINO... Enjoy it and forget ....everything other else. :)

7. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    When you arrive in Santiago de Compostela and queue up at the office to claim your Compostela Certificate, you have the option of buying an additional one with more detail including where you started your pilgrimage and the miles that you walked to reach Santiago. This might be a nice souvenir for you :)

I have only ever bought one of these and that was the one where I came out of my own front door in Cumbria (UK) and walked 1.000 miles to Santiago de Compostela – I don’t think that I will ever beet this, so was happy to pay the small extra money for the certificate

Good Luck and Buen Camino for your own adventure

Rob

UnkleHammy and Greg Canning like this.
  8. mvanert

mvanert Member

Home Page:
  9. Bill Garlinghouse

Bill Garlinghouse New Member

A watch should do it. Take some long walks with your pack before you go. Keep track of the miles you go, determine the distance and do the math. You'll soon figure out what your actual walking pace is on flats and in the hills, and what a daily pace is with breaks included.

I do tend to go with the flow on well marked trails. I do want to keep track of generally where I am, how long to the next water supply, and to the next place I intend to sleep.

10. Martin (Ozzy) Osborne

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne New Member

I am new to walking the Camino and planning for my wife and i to start late May 2018 and finish at The Finnestree about June 30th my 65th birthday. But tp answer your question, my wife and i use on our phones Endomondo Pro. It tracks a true milage to almost exactly the place you are and gives you weather, miles total elevation gain and loss accumulated to be exact and calories the time or duration pace pretty much everything. We use it all the time hiking and walking the dog etc. Check it out and i do not think it would detract from your Camino at all and then you can keep a true value of total miles when you are going off trail. And you will have a perment record to look back on and show others. Have fun Ozzy

Greg Canning likes this.
  11. Dinah

Dinah Member

I used my Fitbit. There is also an app called Tango.

Greg Canning likes this.
  12. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

I get what you are saying completely Wily, but my insurance gives me significant perks for what I do to stay healthy and my walking gave me actual $100 last year. They are really enthused about my stepping out on this one and as long as it does not get obsessive for the wearer, the Garmin has been a help for me at home. I did however refer to it as a little tyrant for a while since it tells me if I have been sitting around for too long...but the end of day syncing has become a natural activity before I hit the pillow. I may get the senior poster child blurb somewhere in all of this. And my trainer at the gym continues to encourage me like I am really going to make it, hands down!

I have also used it here for training to make sure I am being realistic in how much I can walk realistically and it is why I will be taking 50 days instead of 30...