1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trail Running Shoes, Hiking Boots or both?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tomandlauren, Feb 1, 2013.

1. tomandlauren

tomandlauren New Member

I am planning on walking the Camino Frances in Sept/Oct 2013. Has anyone taken two different pairs of hiking footwear? I am wondering if switching btwn trail running shoes and hiking boots would would help prevent blisters/joint soreness. I have arthritis and a history of plantar fasciitis and am wondering if switched btwn the two shoes (according to terrain also) would help. Both pair are excellent quality and well broken in. Of course weight considerations could make this point moot :0) Thanks for any input. Buen Camino!!
    ~lauren

2. dcalderon20

dcalderon20 New Member

Ive read a few things on this forum and ive decided that by what ive read, I am going to take a pair of hiking shoes and a pair of running shoes

3. tomandlauren

tomandlauren New Member

thx danny from tx
    i think i am going to do the same. i switch back and forth in my training so i will sacrifice something else in my pack. buen camino

4. aggiepilgrim

aggiepilgrim New Member

I will walk the Camino for the first time in May and am planning on taking my hiking sandals and trail running shoes. I also have planters fasciitis and have found that trail running shoes with good thick and hard soles work the best for me, although I always use a heel insert as well. I wore a pair of la sportivas through almost the entire Appalachian trail last year and supplemented them with my chacos the couple of times I felt a blister coming along. My suggestion is to walk in whatever is most comfortable to you, just be weary of how much weight you are lugging!

Buen Camino,

RC

5. LolaLil

LolaLil New Member

I brought New Balance hiking shoes, waterproof and a pair of Teva sandals. From the training days with a backpack before I left, I developed plantar fasciitis. I also had problems with my toes. I wore my hiking shoes at the beginning and when I encountered rain in the Galicia. But I used my Teva sandals 85% of my journey. My podiatrist said I traumatized my toes. I have lost several toe nails after I returned. I found orthoheel walking sandals that I am now wearing on my walks and found these shoes working for me. I do stretching exercise which are also helping. I'm hopeful because on my next Camino, next year, I plan to only bring these walking ortho sandals and a pair of flip flops (for showers). Good luck. Buen Camino.

6. pwiers

pwiers Paul from Michigan

Thank you!

7. pwiers

pwiers Paul from Michigan

Thank you all for your insights. Deeply appreciated.