1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer Bilbao To Estella

Discussion in 'Traveling to and from the Camino' started by Fran Burgess, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Fran Burgess

Fran Burgess New Member

Hi All
    Returning to Camino end April 2017 for a week to continue my Camino from where it stopped in Sept 2016.
    Hope to complete next 5/6 stages over a seven day period. Looking for information on bus transfer from Bilbao airport to Estella.

2. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Fran

I'm pretty sure you can get a bus from Bilbao to Logrono with La Union (we booked the other way from Logrono to Bilbao with Busbud https://www.busbud.com/ ). The trip takes just less than two hours and there about 5 services per day.

I see you are Irish so I presume you are flying Aer Lingus and arriving in Bilbao around 3.30pm. That would mean that the only bus option open to you is the 8.00pm bus to Logrono (we have the same problem when we arrive in March!). We are starting this year's section of our Camino from Navarrette so we plan to stay in Logrono on the night of our arrival and take a local bus out the following morning. You might want to think about doing the same.

From Logrono to Estella there appears to be a bus service with La Estellesa to Estella. Trip takes about an hour.

http://www.laestellesa.com/themed/laestellesa/files/uploads/44/15/65/PAMPLONA-LOGRO-.pdf

If you are looking for somewhere nice to stay in Estella then I would recommend the Hospederia Chapitel. A nice clean 3 star hotel. Have to say we didn't find eating out in Estella was good so can't make any recommendations there.

The other option would be to take a bus from Bilbao to Pamplona. Just checked Busbud and there seem to be more options. You could then take the Estellesa bus the other direction from Pamplona to Estella. If you decide on this option and want to stay in Pamplona for the night I would reccommend the AC Ciudad de Pamplona Hotel. It is a very good clean hotel with very nice staff about 15 mins walk to the bus station.

If there is anything else I can help you with please don't hesitate to ask.

Buen Camino

Greg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    UnkleHammy and RJS like this.
  3. Fran Burgess

Fran Burgess New Member

Thanks Greg, much appreciate your detailed update. Yes arriving Bilbao with AL around 3.30pm so judging by the above I will have to over night before starting the walk from Estella on the Sunday. Will research the above links to see best option. Cheers

4. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Fran

The big problem for Aer Lingus travellers, as I've discovered, is that the flight arrives after the afternoon bus has left. As well as that the bus service is slightly more restricted on Saturdays.

If you are flying in on Saturday, from what I've seen the Pamplona route may be the best for you. There is a bus leaving Bilbao at 6pm getting to Pamplona at 8 pm. Then a bus leaving Pamplona for Estella at 8.30pm getting there at 9.25pm. You could also stay the night in Pamplona and get a bus the following morning.

If you decide to head to Logrono you are really only left with the 8pm bus from Bilbao arriving Logrono at 9.45 pm which is probably too late to travel on to Estella that evening.

If you are flying midweek there is an additional bus service that leaves Bilbao at 5.00pm and gets to Logrono at 6.45pm. You then have a bus from Logrono to Estella at 7.00pm getting to Estella at 9.00pm. The time to change buses might be a little tight at only 15 minutes.

Buen Camino

Greg

RJS likes this.
  5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I also flew into Bilbao when I returned to complete my own Camino Frances, but I was going to restart at Fromista and took the train – Not the fastest way of doing the journey, but a stunning train ride.

I had a look and came across this website https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Bilbao/Estella-Lizarra that has some good info on getting from Bilbao to Estella and it appears that there is more than one bus operator plying the route – But IF you wanted to go by train then you would only be able to get as far as Logrono and you would then have to change to a bus, so probably not too practical.

I have an Excellent recommendation for a hotel in Bilbao – Details at http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1efd61/

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  6. Fran Burgess

Fran Burgess New Member

Hi Rob, Will certainly check these website over the weekend. Thanks for your update. Fran