1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel Insurance?

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by MichaelJA, Apr 12, 2018.

1. MichaelJA

MichaelJA New Member

Hello,
    I'm wondering if I should purchase travel insurance? I have health insurance in the US but they said I need to pay for any services and will get reimbursed with receipts. But I don't know what other risks to insure against? Theft?
    Thank you!

UnkleHammy and hindsfeet like this.
  2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Michael

Whether to take out travel insurance is a Good Question and, personally, I think it comes down to circumstances and choice.

For instance, IF you have spent a lot of money on your flights and then (God Forbid) have a close family bereavement – If this happened and you wanted / needed to cancel your tip then travel insurance should come to the rescue.

Other times it should help is if you had a mishap / accident / delay on the way to the airport and missed your flight, lost baggage / theft, lost / stolen passport or other important documentation + Scores of other lesser things.

I am from the UK and my own insurance covers a combination of travel and health, although most health needs are still covered through the EEC reciprocal agreements, extras like repatriation are covered by the insurance.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Crepes4Suzette and hindsfeet like this.
  3. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Michael - Insurance is just what it is, insurance just in case there was a situation where you might need it. Here’s a website that you might find helpful for looking at prices and coverage:

Travelinsurance.com

In addition to such situations as trip cancellation or interruption, I primarily carry travel insurance for the medical evacuation concern. If something serious were to happen where I had to be medically evacuated from another country, that cost could run into the thousands.

My wife and I are just back from Spain. Travel insurance for the two of us ran around a bit over $100. If you’re traveling alone, the cost will be even less. For peace of mind, when traveling internationally, I always purchase travel insurance. If something were to happen that my US health insurance policy didn’t cover, including a pretty large out-of-network medical deductible, I’ve got the extra protection. Buen Camino!

4. Dennis White

Dennis White Donating Member Donating Member

If using credit card to book the majors, flights & accomm. etc most have free comprehensive travel insurance with a minimum $500 aud outlay on the trip and automatically applies without extra forms etc. Worth checking out!

5. Devereaux Young

Devereaux Young Member

Dennis is correct on trip insurance with credit card bookings. HOWEVER, check on the medical coverage for your card. Some include trip cancellation, etc, but NOT medical.
    Also, age makes a difference...i.e. the older you are, the more likely you'll need medical insurance. It's a cheap purchase, as Wily says. Nice to have if you need it...its insurance, after all. Do get medical evacuation insurance one way or the other.

Wily, Dennis White and UnkleHammy like this.
  6. davebugg

davebugg DustOff: "When I Have Your Wounded"

For those pilgrims with Medicare Supplemental coverage, check to see what foreign travel and medical evacuation coverage may be included. For example, my Supplemental plan provides for any medical coverage outside of the US, as well as medical evacuation coverage as is needed for continued treatment. It also provides for the costs of a family member to travel to my location when hospitalized.

The important stipulation to this kind of coverage is that when an illness or injury has occurred, a toll free emergency number must be called and they will then advise and arrange for immediate treatment, including any transport to the nearest appropriate medical facility.

If time is of the essence because of a desperate emergency involving the potential loss of life or limb, then calling the insurance hotline may be done after reaching initial emergency care. However, the call must be made prior to any formal hospital admission.

Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  7. Jack Spratt

Jack Spratt New Member

Walked CF Sept/Oct 2017 - prevailing wisdom at home (Australia) was that "if you cannot afford travel insurance, you cannot afford to travel".

Rationale behind this is that medical treatment and/or medi-evacuation (should one's problems be at the very serious end of the spectrum, could run into many tens of thousands of dollars, and for a comparatively small outlay, such contingencies can be covered.

My insurance covered a range of events - cancellation of trip for medical or other defined reasons, theft of money or property, medical treatment, and medi-evacuation. While the outlays on fares and/or accommodation to get me to and from Spain were significant, their loss (should something happen) was bearable. But the costs associated with a major illness/health problem (such as a heart attack or broken limb) would be much more difficult to bear.

Hence the decision to get travel insurance was asy - don't leave home without it...

BTW, my insurer provide a phone number for any assistance require. In another trip, my daughter suffered a bad bout of gastro in Thailand, and the advice we received from this number, purportedly from a trained nurse, was invaluable - that insurance was worth every cent it cost.

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.