1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel Insurance?

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by MichaelJA, Apr 12, 2018.

1. MichaelJA

MichaelJA New Member

Hello,
    I'm wondering if I should purchase travel insurance? I have health insurance in the US but they said I need to pay for any services and will get reimbursed with receipts. But I don't know what other risks to insure against? Theft?
    Thank you!

UnkleHammy and hindsfeet like this.
  2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Michael

Whether to take out travel insurance is a Good Question and, personally, I think it comes down to circumstances and choice.

For instance, IF you have spent a lot of money on your flights and then (God Forbid) have a close family bereavement – If this happened and you wanted / needed to cancel your tip then travel insurance should come to the rescue.

Other times it should help is if you had a mishap / accident / delay on the way to the airport and missed your flight, lost baggage / theft, lost / stolen passport or other important documentation + Scores of other lesser things.

I am from the UK and my own insurance covers a combination of travel and health, although most health needs are still covered through the EEC reciprocal agreements, extras like repatriation are covered by the insurance.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Crepes4Suzette and hindsfeet like this.
  3. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Michael - Insurance is just what it is, insurance just in case there was a situation where you might need it. Here’s a website that you might find helpful for looking at prices and coverage:

Travelinsurance.com

In addition to such situations as trip cancellation or interruption, I primarily carry travel insurance for the medical evacuation concern. If something serious were to happen where I had to be medically evacuated from another country, that cost could run into the thousands.

My wife and I are just back from Spain. Travel insurance for the two of us ran around a bit over $100. If you’re traveling alone, the cost will be even less. For peace of mind, when traveling internationally, I always purchase travel insurance. If something were to happen that my US health insurance policy didn’t cover, including a pretty large out-of-network medical deductible, I’ve got the extra protection. Buen Camino!

4. Dennis White

Dennis White Member

If using credit card to book the majors, flights & accomm. etc most have free comprehensive travel insurance with a minimum $500 aud outlay on the trip and automatically applies without extra forms etc. Worth checking out!