1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trenhotel

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by clearer_skies, Dec 19, 2015.

1. clearer_skies

clearer_skies Member

Home Page:
    Hi folks

Just putting pen to paper and looking at ways to get from A to B for my next Camino,
    I'm aiming at starting in Ponferrada in September and ending at Finistere via Muxia.

I'm thinking of flying into Madrid and taking the night Trenhotel to Ponferrada.
    Has anyone done the same? Any opinions?

Thanks in advance
    David

2. Bisnick

Bisnick New Member

Hi David,
    I did the Portuguese last May and travelled from the UK to Porto by train which included the Trenhotel from Irun to Lisbon. It was a great journey, there were four of us in a four berth sleeper. I just checked the timetable and it doesn't show the Madrid to SDC Trenhotel stopping at Ponferrada unless I am missing something. The normal train takes 4hrs and is about £17. single. I don't think you would get much sleep on the Trenhotel and would be dumped in a cold station at a stupid time of the morning.
    Nick

clearer_skies likes this.
  3. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    What is the trenhotel? Is this the sleeper? Can you post a link so I can see what it is like?

Thanks

4. Bisnick

Bisnick New Member

Leslie and clearer_skies like this.
  5. don88

don88 New Member

Last May I rode the Trenhotel from Barcelona to Sarria. Had a private room with a toilet and shower. The cost was a little more than 100E. Very comfortable with excellent service. The train left Barcelona at 2000 and arrived Sarria 0905. Saved a hotel night and gained a full day walking out of Sarria.

6. clearer_skies

clearer_skies Member

Home Page:
    I am only catching up on these replies now. Thanks for everyone's input. I am looking to walk a few hours after I arrive so the Trenhotel overnight train is an option. On arriving in Madrid, there is one that travels to Ponferrada. On arriving in Ponferrada at around 5am, I can walk a couple of hours (maybe to Cacabelos) and finish up.
    There are other options of course, but I am just trying to look at ways at maximising walking :)