1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two "rookie" Questions

Discussion in 'Camino Primitivo or Original Way' started by Timothy Stark, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Timothy Stark

Timothy Stark Teacher and Hiker

Hello,

My two questions are as follows:

1. What is the accepted protocol when "road walking" on the Camino? Does one walk with the flow of cars or against?

2. How do I know where (in each village/town) where to obtain the stamp for my Pilgrim's Passport?

Thanks for any and all responses!

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne likes this.
  2. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

1. Going up to Orisson I came across a women that was walking diagonally across the road so that the elevation gain with each foot step was less, thus reducing incline. On the few roads that I walked on there was very little traffic and when you walk do as you would at home, face traffic. I normally hike in the Sierras and when the trail goes up, quite frequently there are switch backs to reduce the incline. I saw very few to none in Europe. You just go up the hill.

Your bigger problem is with bicycles that do not warn you as they come up from behind. Because of the bicycles I recommend that you do NOT use "ear buds" to listen to music. Being alert to your surroundings is important and makes the walking more interesting.

2. Hold your passport up and ask. This even works in English when you are in Spain or France. The worst that might happen is that they ignore you.

3. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

Always against traffic

There is not any way to know that, but basically it is quite easy .... everywhere!!:)

You can obtain the stamp in tourist info offices, post offices, albergues, most restaurants, most bars, churches, etc ... almost in everywhere!!

4. UnkleHammy

With the exception of the UK, everyone drives on the same side of the road there as they usually do in the U.S..

5. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

That's not really true. Drivers in many countries drive on the "other" side of the road, mainly in southern Africa, the Asian sub-continent, southeast Asia, Australia, NZ, a couple of countries in South America, Ireland and Japan. Many of the countries that drive on that said were former colonies. I have driven in many of the too, just to confirm from personal experience.

6. UnkleHammy

As far as I can tell if the British or the Japanese ever controlled the area, then driving is backwards from every where else. However it was a long time ago when the British controlled France or Spain so road traffic there is "normal".

7. calowie

calowie Active Member

MichaelSG and UncleHammy. Here is a link to a list and map of countries that drive on different sides of the road. Rather than backwards and normal, and having lived in both worlds, I say that one group drives on the Right side while the other drives on the Correct side, so that there are no negative connotations. The only problem is when pedestrians cross the roads and, out of habit, look to the wrong direction, see no vehicles, and step off the curb into oncoming traffic! https://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/list-of-left-driving-countries/

8. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Active Member

Hi Tim just listen to Unklehammy and youll be ok.

9. anniem

anniem Active Member

Clearer way to say it is; In mainland Europe they drive on the right hand side of the road!

10. anniem

anniem Active Member

Maybe to you it is "normal "but if you come from NZ it's not! i do understand what you mean tho"

UnkleHammy likes this.
  11. anniem

anniem Active Member

I think it is best if people refer to "driving on the left hand side" and "driving on the right hand side" By referring the "normal" or "other" side of the road just confuses the issue.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  12. Martin (Ozzy) Osborne

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne Member

There is no way I would not walk towards the oncoming traffic! I was stationed in Spain and Italy and did a lot of bike riding and got hit by a car which was turning left and I was going straight and I could not avoid him. Unclipped my bindings and went right over his hood windshield and then hit the road. Walking and running always face traffic even if they say different. My two cents worth.

Crepes4Suzette, Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  13. Martin (Ozzy) Osborne

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne Member

Always look left then right then do it again then step off the curb or go to cross the road and beaware!

14. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

I was replying directly to an American and put it in quotes specifically so he could understand but I agree with you that others reading it may possibly be confused. I just figured everyone from outside America already knew that lots of places have "drive on the left" roads.

15. anniem

anniem Active Member

Point taken. I think I am getting confused now!!

MichaelSG likes this.