1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two "rookie" Questions

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Timothy Stark, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Timothy Stark

Timothy Stark Teacher and Hiker

Hello,

My two questions are as follows:

1. What is the accepted protocol when "road walking" on the Camino? Does one walk with the flow of cars or against?

2. How do I know where (in each village/town) where to obtain the stamp for my Pilgrim's Passport?

Thanks for any and all responses!

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Timothy - On the occational section of the Camino Francés where one has to walk on the road, walk against traffic. It’s not that it’s so much Camino protocal as it is simply the safest way to travel when we have to share the space with cars and trucks. Luckily, there’s not really all that much of it. More often, you’ll find that the path parallels the road. Always err on the safe side. I also have reflective tape on both my poles as well as on my backpack.

It’s great fun and a wonderful souvenir collecting stamps in your Credencial along The Way. So many places have them! Albergues, churches, cafes and restaurants, historical points, tourist offices, etc. You won’t have any difficulty finding them. If in doubt, simply ask, “Tiene un sello?” They will either offer to stamp your passport or offer you the stamp to do it yourself. I would typically collect 3-5 daily mostly as remembrances of places where I stopped or visited. If you’re starting in SJPP, the Pilgrim’s Office will typically be your first sello. Buen Camino!

DB715783-6807-41E0-A9E4-32497666085D.jpeg

Attached Files:

danvo, hindsfeet, davebugg and 2 others like this.
  3. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

If you "fill up" your Camino passport you can get more pages or use "normal" paper as a valid extension.

danvo and BenL like this.
  4. Sally Langerman

Sally Langerman New Member

For us the weird thing was that in most of the villages you could walk right down the middle of the road in the middle of the day - there is absolutely no traffic whatsoever!!! When a car comes you simply move over. Enjoy - it is such a privilege! !!

Crepes4Suzette, danvo and UnkleHammy like this.
  5. keithlundy1

keithlundy1 Active Member

Hi Timothy
    I've walked the Camino twice and I only managed to fill my travel passport on my second trip last year. Everywhere you walk, restaurants, cafes, churches and Albergues have their own stamp and are more than willing to let you stamp your own passport free of charge however most churches do expect a small donation 1Euro for the use of their stamp, I have no problem with that.
    As for rules of the road, I was very quickly picked up by the police for not following safe practices, you are expected to walk against the traffic but there are areas or roads where the road curves on an outward right hand curve and believe me you do not want to be doing that when there is a 100ft drop next to you, so follow the rules of the road but apply common sense when you feel unsafe. Buen Camino. Keith (Norfolk England)