1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Years Ago!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Paul McGranaghan, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Paul McGranaghan

Paul McGranaghan Member

I cannot believe that it has been two years since I was on the Camino Frances. Time flies, and feels like I have just left it. The Camino really has stayed with me, and (for better or for worse) has really shaped the way I have seen the world since then.

Has anyone else left the Camino only to 'stay on it' ever since?

I hope you are all well :)
    Go n-éirí bhur mbóthar...

KateM, Ginamarie, danvo and 4 others like this.
  2. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

My wife and I did Sept. 2015, and just went in Sept to Camino Portuguese...and yes, I still see it so clear in my mind. Such great memories.

Ginamarie, UnkleHammy, Wily and 2 others like this.
  3. Paul McGranaghan

Paul McGranaghan Member

I walked the Portuguese Camino too :) Lisbon to Finisterre. Great memories too - all the highs and lows :)

4. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Paul - You are most correct when you say that the Camino stays with you long after the walking is over. I, too, did the CF two years ago and then the Portugués and Inglés since then. For me, I not only “stayed on it” figuratively speaking, but I knew it was also something that I had to literally return to sooner rather than later. The psychological dimension is strong not only when you are in Spain walking, but can continue once you’ve returned home. I may not have known it before, but it appears that maintaining the spirit of the peregrino is one of those gifts the Camino offers to each who walks that path. Buen Camino!

5. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Paul, I retired at the end of 2014. My wife and I walked Camino Frances from St Jean to Santiago. Even though I had read many books and checked this column daily, it was all new to us. We were well prepared in terms of our gear and clothing, but had to adjust our pace to my wife's severe knee pain and some short lived tendonitis by me. Before we reached Santiago, I was already thinking about our second camino. My wife wasn't so sure, but I bought her a nice pair of Solomon trail running shoes and we agreed to ship her backpack ahead every day of our second camino. My brother and his wife joined us for the entire camino. And now we're counting down the days for our third camino. We'll alter our stages, staying in different towns, walking a few alternative stages (via Samos) and spend more on lodging by staying in private rooms every night of the camino. The camino is now apart of our lives. We watch videos posted on YouTube about the camino at least once per week. We've made presentations of our camino experience to church, school and other social groups. We're blessed with good health (both age 61) and plan to walk the camino every two years as long as our health holds out. Bob

Corry, Ginamarie, hindsfeet and 4 others like this.
  6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    As you can see on my tagline – I have walked my fair share of Camino’s (Some might think more than my fair share) and the experiences that I gained on these will always be with me.

Alas, due to a combination of wear and tear on my aging joints and some other serious health issues, my Camino walking days are, alas behind me –

But

Partaking in discussions and hopefully helping others plan their own Caminos on this site help me keep my own Camino Memories Fresh.

Good Luck and Buen Camino to one and all

Rob

7. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Rob, you continue to inspire many peregrinos every day. Thanks for sharing the wisdom you have acquired during many caminos! Bob

8. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Active Member

So glad you partake Rob! Always good to read your most helpful posts. All the best....

9. KateM

KateM New Member

Some have said that walking the Camino is like a meditation. I did my first one in 2016 and will do another in 2019. I really can’t wait. It seems to have become a bit of an obsession! Just thinking about it brings a glimmer of that sense of peace and centredness that I remember from 2016! You are not alone Paul. Buen Camino.