Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Type Of Compestela ?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Aug 16, 2015.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Here is a clipping I copied from "The Road to Santiago" website.
    "The compostela is a certificate of completion of the Camino de Santiago, and is issued to you by the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago de Compostela. There are two types of certificate: one is in Latin, and is issued to pilgrims who declare that they did the camino for religious or spiritual purposes. Your name will also be written in Latin. The second certificate is for those who did it for cultural or historical purposes. This one is written in Spanish. Both are testament that you have done the Camino de Santiago. You will be asked for the purpose of your pilgrimage at the Pilgrim's Office desk, and you will be given a form to fill in."

I'm curious to know if there are statistics regarding how many pilgrims receive the Latin vs the Spanish version? At the Pilgrim's office, how rigorous is the questioning / questionnaire? I suppose many walk the Camino for a variety of reasons that might be partially religious, partially cultural. In the end is this just a judgment response that each peregrine makes? Also, I thought I read somewhere recently that they recently started offering more / different versions. Anyone have information on this?

Thanks, :)

Bob and Cindi

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Bob and Cindi

All of the Compostela’s that I have been issued with by the Pilgrims office in Santiago de Compostela have been the ones in Latin where you name, also in Latin is added – However, last year there was also an option of buying an additional, more detailed Compostela that included your starting point as well as how many miles you walked – Also last year there was another additional Compostela being issued by The Franciscans to celebrate the 800 year anniversary

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/triumphant-rob-s-final-1-000-mile-charity-trek-1.1144057 has a photo of all 3 Compostela’s that I received last year

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Thanks, Rob. That's interesting that it is possible to get a few different type of versions - for a price, of course. It was good to see the photo and also read of your adventure.

4. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    I have one compostelas, in Latin. One time I did not bother getting one at all.

The questioning was not vigorous, I just filled where it said for spirtual reasons, thought I must say I did not start that way in St Jean.

As far as I am aware there is this one and the certificate of completion, I don't know if that is the same as the one Rob mentioned above. I am going to be in Santiago in October so will do some digging with regards to a few things.

traveldipper likes this.
  5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem Bob – Pleased that you enjoyed reading the newspaper peace that accompanied the photo too :)

The more detailed Compostela as well as the normal Latin one will be available from the Pilgrims Office in Santiago de Compostela when you finish your own Camino – But I guess that the extra one that I got from The Franciscans will not be available now.

Also – I forget to mention, you get a Compostela If you walk out to Finisterra and yet another one if you walk to Muxia – Almost the potential to fill up a wall with them :)

Rob

6. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Rob, good to know, but my wife and I won't travel beyond Santiago de Compestela.

Leslie, when will you be in Santiago? I've been following your posts for two years now and am reading your book on my Kindle Fire. You always provide helpful information and advice. My wife and I should arrive on October 31. As a coincidence, I used to travel to Prague three or four times a year when we lived in Geneva from 1995 to 1998.

7. stevelm1

stevelm1 The Happy Peregrino Donating Member

Home Page:
    Interestingly my expected arrival date in Santiago is Nov 1. Although that is a very sketchy date as I am not even certain exactly which day I will be starting (somewhere between Sep 11-13). Perhaps we need to try and set up a small triumphant gathering? I would like to meet you both.

8. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Steve, I've read many of your posts. I doubt that Cindi and I will set any speed records on Camino Frances, but based on the gear you are bringing and your pace, we're likely to run into you sometime - probably close to Santiago de Compestela. Would be great to say hello in person. Bob

stevelm1 likes this.
  9. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    As far as records of pilgrims are concerned, when registering at the Pilgrims- Office in Santiago the pertinent information given by the pilgrim is entered in the computer system. The Compostela or another certificate is conditioned by what the pilgrim states and proves concerning his pilgrimage.:)

10. Tom V

Tom V Member

I finished on June 18th, 2015 and got the Latin Compostela and also bought, for 3 euros, what I have learned is referred to as a certification of distance. This second one lists the town from which I started, the date I started and the distance walked along with the date I finished in Santiago and the route (Camino Frances). The look the same except the first in in portrait style and the second is in landscape. Both have the colorful image of St. James and decorative boarder on the left side. They are now framed together and hanging in my office.

11. Edmund McCullough

Edmund McCullough New Member

Last week I was refused a Compostela on the basis I had not walked the last 100 KMs of The Camino Frances. I pointed out that I did walk 819 KMs of Camino del Norte, from Irun to Ribadeo. They were adamant that I was not to be granted the full Compostela. I got the long distance walking certificate. This means I was not a pilgrim but an out door hiker ! I am totally disgusted and I was very upset and annoyed as I attended to all of the spiritual requirements along the way. They even refused to log my details into the sheet they collate the information on. This reinforces the perception that The Camino is more geared towards protecting the commercial interests of Camino Frances. They did not even look at my credential, it meant nothing ton them. I feel it was a big waste of time and I am terribly annoyed about it. They wouldn't even give me the information I asked for in relation to appealing their decision.
    The management of the compostela is a farce and it does nothing but bring the entire reputation of the pilgrims office into question.

Edmund.

12. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Edmund, it is known information that you MUST to go last 100 km to get compostella. 100 km is enough, btw. I understand that you are angry, but this is known requirement.

13. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Edmund, btw. Here on the forum I posted link to YouTube video about walking group of 15 pilgrims, walked from Slovakia to Santiago. They walked ca 2400km, and leader of that group was ill-probably tendonitis,-it was few km from Santiago.. so he can't go that last 100km...he hasn't Compostella too. :(

fraluchi likes this.
  14. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    The rules do not specifically refer to the Camino Francés. It is possible to walk from Tui, Lugo, Ferrol, Ourense, and other places, as long as one can show a Credencial with at least 2 daily stamps over the last 100 kms to Santiago.
    My Credenciales of all the Caminos which I walked are more important to me than a Compostela. They remind me of the various places where I stayed and the dates. I know why I walked these Caminos, 8 in total so far.
    I had seen Danvo's video with the group walking from Slovakia. This was an extraordinary feat, and I can understand the disappointment of not receiving a Compostela at the end. However, I am sure they all know how to be proud and talk about their experiences. With or without Compostela.:)

danvo likes this.
  15. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Edmund

When I walked the Camino Primitivo, I only had sufficient time to walk as far as Melide (where the route joins the Camino Frances) and caught a bus from there into Santiago de Compostela – I had previously walked the Camino Frances so wasn’t really bothered about walking over the same ground again, although I realised by doing so that I would forego my Compostela – As already stated, walking the last 100k is a must to qualify for one – But I have never obtained more than one cello per day and never had a problem when being issued with my Compostela (5 to date)

What you can do is to return to Ribadeo at a later date and using the same credentials walk the last part of the route into Santiago de Compostela and then you will qualify for your Compostela

Rob

16. Josh unçu

Josh unçu Member

The Compostela: is this a moderm certified ?

During centuries of pilgrimage, to the Jacobean, it was granted a certificate of confession and communion, regardless of where they had begun their way.

They had no more than to swear by their pilgrimage

Each pilgrim came out from the door of his house and then began his walk.

Out the distances, out the tourist and Santiago`s Cathedral new bureaucracies, the Compostela should be given to all who walk the camino with Pilgrim soul.

To end of the 80`s of the last century, was when the Cabildo of the Santiago Cathedral launched this new invention, the realization of them last 100 kilometers on foot of the Camino to the be able to obtain the Compostela, an occurrence with no historical basis.

This has produced an overcrowding in high season, despair of the pilgrims of medium and long travel, mostly foreigners, mad racing to get a bed, lucrative or variety retail hostels and to finish the invasion of the tour operators as they see, the last 100 kms. as their golden eggs chicken,,,,,,

And all this for ,,,,,,,,

Loss of the fundamental values of the traditional pilgrimage.
    I am in agreement with, the proposal of the International Fraternity of The Camino de Santiago, that still is being studied by the Cabildo , of extending the mileage for the Compostela to 300 km, because would be good for the pilgrim and other caminos, especially those in the interior of the circle: From Oviedo (first route), Leon (head of the Kingdon after the X Century), Zamora (Ruta de la Plata), Lamego or Porto (Portuguese routes inland and central) .