1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Via de la Plata or Camino Primitivo?

Discussion in 'Camino Via de la Plata - The Silver Route' started by AnnaMuz, Apr 13, 2014.

1. AnnaMuz

AnnaMuz Guest

Hello

I fly Tuesday to Madrid for 3+ weeks and I'm fairly well prepared - except that I haven't decided which Camino to walk yet! I'm torn between the Via de la Plata / Camino Sanabres, starting from Zamora or Camino Primitivo (with a few days on the Camino Norte as I would start in Santander).

Any thoughts? I've done a fair bit of walking before, including 2 weeks on the camino frances, am relatively fit and speak Spanish. I don't really want to do lots of road walking, am drawn to mountains but am a bit worried about the weather.

Any thoughts welcome!
    Anna

2. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Anna,
    If you choose the Norte out of Santander, there is a lot of road walking and some nasty industrial stuff near Gijon. The Via de la Plata is relatively flat out of Zamora until you get to Astorga and join with the French route. My choice would be to go on the Norte, as some of the countryside and sea views are spectacular. 3 weeks is enough time to get from Santander to Santiago. If you walk from Zamora you will have time to spare. Either way, I wish you an enjoyable Camino.
    Sean,
    Dublin

3. Cindy B.

Cindy B. New Member

Keep us posted on your decision! It seems like this is a great time of year to hike. . . spring blossoms and comfortable temps! Have a great journey Anna. Cindy B.

4. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Anna,
    Sorry, I misread you post. Go Santander to Villavicosa on the Norte and then cut down the Primitivo. I did it last year and the Primitivo is without doubt the real deal, if you like mountains. Not too many walk this route but there will be few. It is fantastic.
    Enjoy your Camino,
    Sean,
    Dublin

5. Derek

Derek New Member

Hi Anna,
    Why does the weather worry you,i walked the Camino last may and we were the first group out from St.Jean P D. over the Alp and it was through heavy snow.Now in fairness it was a hard day as the first stage is possibly the hardest anyway, but hey it`s the camino. It was a beautiful experience be it snow, rain, or sun. Enjoy the mountains etc.. as they are magical this time of year.If you can start from St.Jean Anna, it`s a great spot and from there on till you hit the flats which are mentally tough. Still it`s a wonderful experience all in, between your personal goals,new friendships and the head space you get just go for it.
    Bien camino,

6. Hello everybody! I'm planning to commence Via de la Plata June 8. Any suggestions? Would really love to hear from anyone who has walked it. All the best. Margot

7. januarius

januarius New Member

It is a hard decision , have done both routes and very awesome..Norte have fond memories because of the panarama and also met many pilgrims I made friends..Buen Camino.

8. Dominique

Dominique Member

Hello Margot, did you walk it ? I'm planning on doing same this June. Thanks.