1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Via Francigena - October 2017

Discussion in 'Via Francigena - Pilgrimage to Rome' started by Galloglaigh, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Member

As part of planning to do some of the VF, I checked out parts of the VF in Tuscany.

There are more VF signs around than a few years ago - and more signs of the route being promoted not as a pilgrimage but as a leisure activity. There were a few pellegrinos on the route but far more cyclists. Typical information signs such as the one at San Miniato and Monteriggioni

IMG_1213[1].JPG

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  2. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Member

If you want to transfer bags between stages, there is a daily collection by Bags-Free (http://bags-free.com/en/). But at €15 per stage, it's a lot more expensive than Jacotrans on the Camino Frances. Generally everything is significantly more expensive on the VF.
    IMG_1219[1].JPG

3. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Member

The importance of the VF can be seen in Siena. The world famous Palazzo Publicco looks like many Palazzos but when viewed from the Torre del Magia, you suddenly see it in a different light. The tell tale seashell you see on the Camino

piazza_del_campo_siena.jpg

4. keithlundy1

keithlundy1 Active Member

Good evening Galloglaigh
    I enjoyed your entry as I plan to walk the Camino to Rome. I've walked the Camino Santiago for the second time earlier this year and plan to walk it one more time then my dream is to walk the Camino to Rome. Do you know where the best place or website for me to use to gather information. I'm not restricted on time so I'm looking at the whole journey. Many thanks. Keith, Norfolk England

5. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Member

This is the site referred to on the signs (http://francigena-international.org/en_GB/) which has a lot of information. As regards which route, the explanation of the various route options in Italy was explained as pragmatism. Your average middle ages pilgrim would vary the route to avoid local wars, plagues and thieves. It was more a point-to-point choice than following an official line.

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  6. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Member

Found a different website (http://www.pilgrimstorome.org.uk/) and have joined. They look to be an offshoot of the Confraternity of Saint James (https://www.csj.org.uk/) and have the ambition of increasing pilgrim numbers from 2,000 per annum to the Camino's 238,000.

Since there will be a high number of their members that believe in miracles, then it might happen.

danvo likes this.
  7. Texas Pilgrim

Texas Pilgrim New Member

My friend and I walked the Portuguese Camino from Porto to Santiago in June. We are not youngsters. He is 87 and I am 75. We are planning a pilgrimage to Rome next May and would like some advice on routes. We are considering the Via Francigena starting in Siena or else the Way of St. Francis from Assisi. We are looking for information on which of these two routes may best work for us.
    Our considerations are:
    - Best marked with signage along the way and available maps which can be downloaded a device.
    - Minimal sections on busy roadways. We prefer nature paths.
    - Adequate accommodations and support along the way
    - We plan to limit our daily distance to about 20 km
    Any information which you can share will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.