1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Via Lusitana - Portuguese Camino Association in Lisbon

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by Via Lusitana, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Via Lusitana

Via Lusitana Guest

Fellow pilgrims,

Allow me to introduce Via Lusitana, a Portuguese Camino association founded in May 2010 in Lisbon. Our association is made of pilgrims and for pilgrims.

We were aware of the need of an association south of Porto, mainly to give support to pilgrims starting in Lisbon.

Our first priority was to re-remark the Camino, which we have done, although as you can understand it is an ongoing task.

Our second priority is to work alongside local and national entities and make them aware the Camino importance. As some of you know Fátima had always been the traditional pilgrimage route here in Portugal, only recently with the increased numbers of pilgrims to Santiago did people start to became aware of it and lately we have been contacted by a lot of people asking us more about it.

We are also aware of the lack of albergues south of Porto and will be dedicating our time this year to help create dedicated accommodation to Camino pilgrims, soon we will post on our site the latest places available.

Our site, although it is in Portuguese, has email contacts for English, French, German, Spanish and Italian speaking pilgrims; we also have a cellular phone number in case someone is walking the Camino and needs some assistance.

S.O.S Peregrino - (+351) 915 595 213

It is also important to us to receive feedback from those of you that have walked this route, any problems that you might have encountered and any suggestions you might have. Your input will help us improve the conditions and safety of the future pilgrims.

We wish you all a BOM CAMINHO!!

Helena Bernardo
    www.vialusitana.org

2. Covey

Covey Active Member

Helena.......... Welcome to the Forum.

We are always delighted to welcome those, who like ourselves, try and help a Pilgrim achieve their dreams.

Even I have decided to leave the Camino Frances for a new path and am arriving in Lisbon on 1st Aug and will spend a couple of days sightseeing before heading north to Santiago and Finesterre and then back to Porto for my flight back to London.

I usually holiday in Madeira when not in northern Spain, so mainland Portugal will be a nice change.

3. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    My dear Covey, you're back now and many of us are anxiously awaiting your review of the Camino Portugues. Tell us, how did it go? I'm thinking of a CP next spring, but am weighing perhaps instead doing Camino del Norte starting at Bilbao (I'll only have 3 weeks).

Welcome back!

4. pennyr

pennyr New Member

Hello....I am actually leaving from Porto in early september....and I am getting nervous that I will be the only person walking....there doesn't seem to be many...or any other pilgrims on any of the forums that I can see....I know you are about the South of porto side but do you have any statistics or info...I am a relatively fit 58year old woman....many thanks. Pennyr

5. Covey

Covey Active Member

Believe me, you will not be alone!!

The Porto to Santiago Camino is quite popular as it is shorter than the Camino Frances and folks can fit it in to their time scales a little easier.

If the weather is nice, take the beach route going north from Porto. It is a very nice way to start your Camino.

Have fun.

6. pennyr

pennyr New Member

Thank you very much...i am so grateful for the support...there are so few posts about the Portuguese Way....I gather that there is an emergency number for the camino in Portugal...are you aware of it...iwill consider the beach...but I hope to walk from the cathedral...I will wait and see what happens when I get there...blessings Penny

7. gracethepilgrim

gracethepilgrim New Member

Born NZ, lived Aust and now Sevilla (Spain)
    Well, my first post.
    I head off tonight from Seville for Lisbon then Porto. By Friday morning I will have my walking shoes on and on my way out of Porto. As a veteran of Camino Frances (2003) and Via de la Plata (2008) I am going to enjoy this short route. Thanks to everyone who has provided such informative info on this site and to vialusitana for all their work. It has helped me tremendously with my preparation.
    I hope to meet some members over the next 2 weeks. Thanks to all, Gracethepilgrim (NZ)

8. Yenn

Yenn Guest

Hello Helena,

I am planning to do the CP and start in Lisbon though not sure about the alburgues. I walked the CF last year in September and had an awesome experience. I don't have a lot of days - the most is probably two weeks including travel time - and therefore thinking of starting in Porto. Is there a list of alburgues, pilgrim's mass at each town, etc. Where can I get the passport? Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am a female solo traveller from Toronto. I plan to walk CP early September or October. Thanks, Buen Camino.

9. Covey

Covey Active Member

If you enjoyed the CF then you will love the CP! Less of a scrum and a lot less frenetic. Take the beach route from Porto north for the first day, and if the weather is sunny it will be a magical day. Stop for lunch of grilled sardines and squid and a cold bottle(ish) of Vino Verde and life on the Camino will be good. There are not as many albergues on the route as on the CF, but there are enough so that you don't have to rush for a bed. Buy the Brierley Guide. You can get it via Amazon.

10. Gerry

Gerry Member

Bom Dias,
    I will be in Lisbon May 20th. I am starting CP from Lisbon and i am grateful for any information you can give me regarding pilgrim accomodation on the route.
    Gerry

11. ChristineV

ChristineV Guest

Hello Gerry,

maybe we will meet on the way, I will start from Lisbon on May 30th!

12. Gerry

Gerry Member

Christine, I have a 10 day start on you. Perhaps it may help with info on accomodation etc if you log into www.gerry-camino.com. I will try to post a daily journal there,maybe with photos too.Bom Camino.

13. Gerry

Gerry Member

Just returned home from Portugese Camino. The first three days out of Lisbon were very tough. I found the tiles and cobbles in Lisbon and its surroundings gave my feet a hard time. Much of the walking is on these pavements and asphalt. From Villa Franca the trail became a little easier and I found the following hostels great value and so welcoming and comfortable. Santarem Hostal at Santarem. Mario is a wonderful host and breakfast included. Hostel 2006 at Tomar..brand new and Sophia ( the owner ) has negotiated a deal for peregrinos at the Mediaeval Restaurant in the town. Myself and John and Shane were the first peregrinos to benefit from it.2 courses and wine for 5 euro. At Agueda casa Celeste is highly recommended with very helpful hosts. North of Porto Casa Fernander 15 k beyond Barcelos is a must. The hosts here are Fernander and Jacinto Rodriguez and their generousity of spirit remarkable. There are not the numbers of walkers on CP as you find in CF so accommodation is easy to find. Bom Caminho.

El Condor 2014 likes this.
  14. susanteresa

susanteresa Guest

Hi Gerry...my friend and I are planning to do the CP from 12th August for 10 days (with 3 extra days if necessary)... just wanted to ask if you would give me the names of the villages you passed through so we can plan our route and give me an idea of the terrain... also any other useful info would be good... thanks Susan

15. LolaLil

LolaLil New Member

Hello; it's been almost a year since my journey from Pamplona to Santiago. And now, I am planning my next Camino. I would love to begin in Lisbon but am concern on the distance of walking 18-20 miles a day for a place to stay for the night. I'm interested in hearing from those who have walked the CP route. My plan is to begin mid August 2014. What is the weather like? Do I really have to walk that many km/miles to reach the village where lodging is available? What are the cost of lodging? Options for buses if I can't walk anymore on a particular day? How safe for a woman walking solo? I also would like to detour and go to Fatima. Thanking you in advance for any info. I have the John Brierley Camino Portogues guidebook.

16. BoxOfFrogs

BoxOfFrogs Member

Hey Lola,

I can't answer any of your questions just yet I am afraid. However I am setting off for Lisbon in 9 days time (24th Aug 13) so hopefully should have a bit more of an insight when I get home. I'm planning to continue where I left off on my blog, if you would like to see what I'm up to.

17. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

I followed your blog before walking the camino Frances with my daughter earlier this year. I am now considering walking the Portuguese route from Lisbon next year and very much look forward to reading about your camino. Wishing you a wonderful journey.
    Buen camino

18. LolaLil

LolaLil New Member

Hi Steve, I would love to follow your blog and read about your journey to Santiago from Lisbon. I read your blog. You and I were walking the CF last year about the same time. You were one day behind me but I'm sure you caught up with me at some point. I started in Pamplona Aug 30th and arrived in Santiago Oct 1st. Didn't ventured off to Muxia/Finnistere as I left Oct 3 for Germany to visit friends. I am not only concerned with the distance between places to sleep but walking by myself. Not a problem if there are other pilgrims. Any insights/recommendations, good and bad, will be very much appreciated. I'm sure this will be as magical as the CF. Buen Camino and stay safe!

19. LenV

LenV Guest

I am thinking of walking the Portuguese Camino starting in early May 2014 & interested in feedback on this section of the Camino in comparison to the more popular Spanish one? LenV

20. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

Hi LenV, can't help you I'm afraid, but have just purchased my airline ticket to arrive in Lisbon 1 May. Would love to be in touch with anyone else starting at the same time.

21. KatDavis

KatDavis Member

Home Page:
    I have to say a big thank you to Via Lusitana and a very friendly lady called Natasha. I walked from Lisbon to Santiago in Jun/Jul this year and got lost a couple of times leading up to Tomar (a bushfire had wiped out a lot of arrows in the forest). I rang the Via Lusitana number when I was in Tomar because I was anxious of walking the next day and Natasha answered the phone, spoke terrific English and reassured me there were plenty of arrows from Tomar onwards. She was right. It was so incredible to have the reassurance, so thank you to Via Lusitana for the wonderful service and job they are doing by maintaining the trail, obrigado!

Kat

22. Prosper

Prosper New Member

I plan to do the Camino in Sept or October 2017. I was thinking of the route from Lisbon through Fatima and continue to the Camino from there. How long will that take, how many miles is it? The information here was very helpful. Thank you. I may lots have more questions in the future.

Sincerely,
    Prosper Egan

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2016
  23. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum @Prosper. You will already have found much useful information on this thread. I walked from Lisbon in May 2014. I walked to Santiago in 27 days, taking the first section into Porto including some short stages, and from Porto to Santiago I stepped up my pace. I didn't take the Fatima diversion, but the track is very well marked.
    You are welcome to take a look at my blog - I posted live every day including lots of photos and useful information.
    There are several new albergues since I walked the route including one around 20 kms from Lisbon. Check out the Vialusitana website at the top of this thread for up to date information
    Bom Caminho!