Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Views From The Camino Del Norte, Ruta Do Mar And Camino Ingles

Discussion in 'Camino del Norte' started by Magwood, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator Donating Member

I have now posted the video of my 2016 camino to youtube. It shows daily stages and distances along this beautiful route.

2. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Donating Member Donating Member

Thanks, I really would like to have lunch at that first picket table you showed.

Magwood and Ginamarie like this.
  3. Dominique

Dominique Member

Thank you Magwood! Will have a proper look when I get time to myself.

4. Maile

Maile New Member

This is wonderful Magwood! I was a bit concerned about the Camino del Norte in April / May and now my worries have been quelled. I am hoping to jump off onto the Primitivo like your friend Gunter, so any leads you have of that leg of the journey are welcomed.
    Curious did you feel there was more pavement walking on the Francés or del Norte? Which did you enjoy more?
    Thank you for all this great info!
    Maile

5. calowie

calowie Member

Maile
    We did the camino del norte and the Primitivo in May 2015. The blog of the trip is at: https://carlosandmick.wordpress.com/

It was wonderful, with only a few rainy days, and cool each day. Take a look at the stages we did and let us know if you have questions!

6. Maile

Maile New Member

Thanks,
    Great read! I have not been able to find that "Outdoor" guide book for the primitivo you recommended Any ideas where I may find one?

7. calowie

calowie Member

Maile
    You can get the guides in the cathedral in Oviedo for a few euros. I still have it on my desk!

8. caminojonas

caminojonas New Member

Thank you for this video. Walked the camino del Norte in May 2016. Wonderful memories. Just want to go there again.

9. Magwood

Glad you enjoyed it @caminojonas. Our Caminos are never far from our thoughts.

10. Magwood

Hi @Maile. The weather is very changeable, and I was expecting much more rain that I actually experienced. I hope you are as lucky as I was.

I would say that yes, there is definitely more road walking that on the Frances, but most of it is on quiet country roads with very little traffic. Buy some good insoles to protect your feet.

I will be walking the Primitivo later this year, probably around 12 May, after walking the Camino de Madrid and the San Salvador.
    Buen camino!

Maile and UnkleHammy like this.
  11. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Magwood
    What can I say the video was just like your daily diary you posted "Priceless"

Carpe Diem

Raymond John

12. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Active Member Donating Member

One of the best if not the best Camino Video I have seen.
    2 questions
    1) what type of Camera did you use
    2) How can you make a video on YouTube that is that long ? it only allows me to do very short videos

13. Magwood

@raymond john and @El Condor 2014, thank you so much for your very kind words. It makes the lengthy process of making my videos entirely worthwhile.

To answer the questions above, for many years now I have used cameras from the Panasonic Lumix TZ range, currently the DMC-TZ60, which seemed to offer best value for money when I purchased it last year. It has a 30 x optical zoom and takes very good macro photos, and the video function is good for my purposes.

Regarding a longer video on youtube, you have to become a 'verified' user. Here are instructions found by googling the subject ...https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/71673?hl=en-GB

Music is another issue. I can't abide the 'musac' that is free of copyright. I use what I have in my collection and credit it at the end of the video. I have read somewhere that if the purpose of the video is not for financial gain, then in most cases no action will be taken. I have had a video taken down once for copyright issues, but after some time had elapsed I uploaded it again and there has been no problem since.

I am also now in the habit of buying cd's from street musicians and bands I see on my travels, and ask for permission to use the music for my videos, and thus far everyone is very supportive and has given permission.

There are several tracks on this video by the guy that wears the black mask and plays in the afternoons behind the cathedral in Santiago. He even gave me a second cd to use.

In case it is of interest I have put these videos together using iMovie on my macbook pro, which is fairly intuitive.

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  14. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Active Member

Magwood, I just watched your 2016 video of Camino Norte. Very interesting and enjoyable! It struck me as quite different than my experience of Camino Frances. Very lush and green, the daily walking stages quite long (many over 30 kms), walks along sandy beaches, lots of wildlife and more isolated / remote. How would you compare and contrast the two caminos? I read Dave Whitson's book. It's my impression that the Camino Norte is more expensive since you are hiking through many beach resorts. How does the pilgrim infrastructure (number of albergues, shops, etc) compare? Is the path waymarked well? Is Jakotrans available? Also, from your photos, you clearly enjoyed the scenic views from the cliffs overlooking the water. Being from the flat US mid-west, I am afraid of heights and would be scared and weary walking a trail that exposes the pilgrim to extreme heights! Thanks for any comments and insights you can provide. Bob

15. Magwood

Hi @BROWNCOUNTYBOB, I've long given up comparing caminos. I am currently planning my fifth, and each has been so different. The Norte is definitely less crowded than the Frances, but definitely not lonely. The beaches are wonderful but there is a lot of road walking, much of it on quiet country roads, but still hard on the feet.

If you have a problem with heights you should consider taking a different route around the cliff between Playa de Berria and Playa de Noja, after leaving Santoña, see day 10 of my blog posts on the Norte, including the comments. I don't remember other places where I felt a bit intimidated, except where I chose to put myself in that position.

Take a look at the Gronz website to see about albergues and costs. Some weren't open until May, but the route seemed to be well served. Signing was very good.

I'm not sure about Jakotrans, but I expect the Correos offer a service

UnkleHammy likes this.
  16. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Active Member

Thanks, Magwood! I read your day 10 blog and looked at your photos. One word to describe: "terrifying !" for flat-landers like myself. I can't imagine walking that close to the cliff even in excellent weather. I looked at the Gronze.com website and have a better feel for the suggested walking stages, places to stay and topography.

We're all set for this fall. I hope to walk the camino every two years so long as my health permits. I'll need to decide whether to walk the camino frances a third time in 2017, or one of the other routes (Portugese, Madrid, Norte). During our last camino, we ran into a pilgrim from Barcelona and he was walking his 10th camino frances. He said each time it is a different experience for him since he stays at different places and meets a new set of pilgrims.

Thanks again! Bob

UnkleHammy likes this.