Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Waking Up......

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Hattie, May 23, 2017.

1. Hattie

Hattie New Member

Hello,

I start my Camino on the 22nd June 2017 and with it being less than a month away, I was just wondering how everybody woke up on their camino???
    I am concerned that I won't wake up early enough without an alarm or that if I set an alarm I will wake others that don't want to be woken at the time.

How did others deal with this problem???

Thanks, Hattie.

Gerry Vandermaat, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Hattie - Unless you're an unusually heavy sleeper, I don't think you'll having any problem waking up in an albergue dormitory. Most pilgrims are considerate of those sleeping around them, but there is a certain amount of noise just from folks packing up, the rustle of sleeping bads getting stuffed, and the occasional object being dropped. By 06:00 I found that many pilgrims were beginning to move about and getting ready to leave. Although I did hear the occasional soft alarm going off, that wasn't all that typical. So, unless you are planning on leaving in the middle of the night, I think you'll be awakened by the normal dormitory sounds as pilgrims begin to get ready for their day. However, you might get lucky enough to be serenaded by a strolling hospitalero as I was in Roncesvalles as he sang such classics as Wake Up Little Suzy and Morning Has Broken by Cat Stevens. Good stuff always happens on the Camino!

3. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander Well-Known Member

As Wily said...not an issue. My wife set her watch alarm, but was awake before it every morning, just because you can hear/sense movement in the dark.
    One of the joys of the Camino. My wife found it odd living in such close quarters, in bunk beds, etc. 20 years in the Army...same-old, same-old!

4. Hattie

Hattie New Member

Thank you for your help both of you.

5. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Hattie, the first camino for my wife was two years ago. We started in late September, so the morning dynamic is different than late June - three months earlier. There are fewer pilgrims and the daylight hours are different. That said, our daily routine was to get up at 6 am. I set an alarm in my cell phone, but woke up most mornings before the alarm went off. We were usually the earliest to awake, use the facilities, pack our backpacks and go. Most mornings, we left the albergue at 6:45 or 7:00 am. It was still dark, so we walked an hour or so in the dark. Including breaks, we generally arrived in our destination town around 2 pm.

James Orrock likes this.
  6. Maya Grandmother

Maya Grandmother Active Member

Waking up and getting up to see the sunrise was my favourite part of the day. The quiet and the calmness of the early morning was breathtaking. About waking up, I must say I was always awake by 6. A couple of times they would start playing music at the albergue. I found that as soon as one started getting up, then others would follow. You sleep so close to the next bunk that I think you should have no problem waking by 6. They want you out by 8 so they can clean before the next pilgrims start coming. If you really are still sleeping I am sure they will wake you. I would also wake because I was always hungry on the camino so I wanted to get a bite of something plus I needed a good 30 minutes to care for my feet. I would always have my foot care products ready beside me in the bed so I could start with that. Do not worry about waking, I am sure you will do fine. If it becomes a problem just ask the sleeper next to you and I am sure they would nudge you to get you awake. My husband was also in the army and knew the bunk style of sleeping but that was all new to me. Take care, Maya

7. Followtheyellowarrows

Followtheyellowarrows New Member

I used a watch alarm. We enjoyed leaving early to avoid the heat in the afternoon and were often one of the first up in the albergue. I was always paranoid about waking others up so tried to turn it off immediately. I think my anxiety about turning it off instantly made me often wake before the alarm went off. In hind sight I could probably have relaxed a little about the alarm :)

hindsfeet likes this.
  8. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    During the last 10 days or so of my last walk on the Camino Frances I started to sleep in. I managed to sleep through people leaving in the morning - it was great.

Back then it was likely easier as it was okay to find a bed each day, so there was no rush and no need to book ahead. If you book ahead and sleep in you will be fine, as long as you don't arrive later than you tell in the booking.

9. Wily

Hey Leslie - Personally, I like your suggestion of booking ahead. Although it's not want everyone wants to do, I found having a bed reserved allowed me to walk at my own pace without any end-of-the-day worries. After walking 20-25 km, I didn't want to have to go looking for a bed or having to figure out Plan B in case a bed wasn't available. Hospitaleros will graciously call ahead for you and inquire about a bed being available at a particular albergue. So, if sleeping in a bit is on your agenda, the reservation allows you to arrive later in the day with no worries. As Leslie said, there is usually a time that you need to arrive by for them to save your bed. Make sure you know how late you can arrive! Buen Camino!

10. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Ha.....I really don't care for schedules that much (yes, gypsy coming out again). But if I do have to adhere to one, I will be punctual to a fault. Worry will enter the situation (because I wouldn't want to be late if I committed to a certain time). So for me, I plan on waking up early to start walking, and if for some reason there is no bed for me, I will continue on and consider it another adventure! Maybe what lures me is the challenge of that! There ARE other pilgrims out there that feel the same way, right? :D I will reserve a bed in SJPDP, Roncesvalles, and Santiago though.

11. Ginamarie

Ginamarie New Member

My feelings exactly hindsfeet. I have no idea how far I am going to be able to walk per day so it would stress me to have a reservation and think I have to rush to get there. I will go with the flow. Once I start my first Camino in this September I will know for the NEXT one!!

12. Wily

Hey Hindsfeet - I wouldn't give to much thought to having to stay on schedule. You already have the right idea about starting your daily walks early. Even if you make a reservation ahead, the late arrival time (4 pm or so at most places as I best remember) will give you plenty of time to get there. Typically, one walks 20-25 km a day. Of course, it all depends on how many days you plan to be on the Camino. If you happen to be walking during a very busy time, you'll know if you need to make reservations. I regularly left around 06:30 and ended by very early afternoon. Although I had reservations, I was always one of the earliest to arrive. At that time of day, anyone walking in could have gotten a bed. But, if you walk slower and have a sense that you're going to arrive later, bed reservstions help when it's busy. Once you get there, you'll quickly figure out what will work best for your Camino.

13. hindsfeet

Ginamarie.....going with the flow suits me too! I don't leave until the end of April 2018. Looking forward to posts from you coming in September!

James Orrock and Ginamarie like this.
  14. hindsfeet

Thanks Wily....I think starting at the very end of April shouldn't be too crowded. But later in
    May perhaps it might start getting more busy I guess. I am a fast walker, but want to really slow it down on the Camino. I have plenty time to devote to this Camino. Want to explore for a month or two after the CF also. No definite plans yet. I am just so excited to start! But I also know that I am NOT ready yet. Thanks again for all of your valuable input! And I am really enjoying the posts from your Camino Portugues!

James Orrock and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  15. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

For our first camino which was late Sept through end of October, we walked 34 of 35 days and the only time we made advance reservations was calling ahead a few days in advance to reserve a room in three paradors - Santo Domingo, Leon, and Villafranca. There was only one time we didn't get our first choice albergue and it was fairly small.

For our next camino, my brother and his wife are joining us. We agreed to slow down the pace and allow a few more days. We have planned 38 days SJPDP to Santiago and this includes 2 rest days. Since our camino begins on Sept 8, there will be more pilgrims, plus I wanted to reserve as many places in advance as possible - to avoid towns and albergues we didn't like the last time, to lock in rooms at places we really liked last time, and enjoy more comfort and privacy. I began making reservations early this year. I booked a dozen or so rooms using Booking.com, parador reservations on their website, and several more by contacting the albergue directly. In all, we have reservations at 34 of 38 days on the camino! I'm definitely the planner and enjoyed checking out the various options. A few may disappoint us, but it's been fun planning our trip. Bob

James Orrock and hindsfeet like this.
  16. James Orrock

James Orrock Member

Greetings, brother and sister pilgrims! Planning a significant undertaking such as the Camino is plainly essential, however I tend towards a 'laid back' approach - I am not intending to book accommodation in advance with the exceptions of Bayonne (1st day in France), SJPdP (2nd day in France), Roncesvalles (1st day of the journey), SdC (destination) and Madrid (departure point from Spain). As far as waking up in the morning goes, I will allow my fellow snorers (sorry, walkers) who will most certainly be stirring before me to gently usher me from my dreamtime into the brand new day.

Wily and hindsfeet like this.
  17. hindsfeet

James, that is my plan also, with booking in the same locations. The rest of it, well....an element of adventure. Can't find a room or an abandoned secret monks cell....keep moving. :D Your Camino is coming up soon if I remember from past posts....September? The excitement of that must be incredible. The Good Lord willing, I will be heading out the end of April and hoping to take those first steps on May 1st. Buen Camino James!

Wily likes this.
  18. Wily

And James, do remember to pack those ear plugs! They will definitely be needed if you hope to enjoy that well earned "dreamtime" a bit every night! :) Buen Camino!

hindsfeet and fluffkitten like this.
  19. Jose

Jose Member

Can you share your list?

20. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Jose, I'm happy to share our hiking / overnight plan. This includes the in transit days from Madrid to St Jean, and Santiago back to Madrid. The table below shows our start point and destination each day, distance we will walk, whether there is an ATM in each town, the place where we'll stay, the type of accommodation, places where reservations have been made, how reservation was made, and a few notes mostly about the room accomodations. Hope this helps you and others ! Bob

Attached Files:

21. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Sorry - the first attempt copied the table several times. Hope this is better.
    upload_2017-6-20_15-48-26.png

fluffkitten, Jose and hindsfeet like this.
  22. Jose

Jose Member

WOW. This is super. Thanks so much!

23. Wily

Hey Bob - An extremely helpful list for someone planning their Camino and who might want to make reservations ahead. I've stayed at a number of these albergues, as possible you have as well, and those that I know of are excellent choices. Doing your research before hand will generally minimize the unpleasant surprises.

My only caution to pilgrims concerns the ATMs. Just because a town has an ATM doesn't mean that your bank's card will be accepted there. My experience in both Spain and Portugal has been that ATMs belonging to smaller, regional banks may not accept a foreign debit card. With a larger international bank like Santandar, there shouldn't be any problems. My advice to pilgrims is to not run too short on Euros. Carry enough cash to get you from one large city to another. Or, have a more universal card like the Visa Travel/Money card that should be accepted in any machine displaying the Visa logo. Thanks Bob and Buen Camino!

24. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Yes, all ATMs may not be the same. During our last camino, I tried BBVA and my debit card worked fine. I only needed to withdraw euros 3 or 4 more times and each time I used the BBVA kiosk and never had a problem.