1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking in April and May.

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Goonky, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Goonky

Goonky New Member

Good morning all.
    I have a couple of questions for those who have just finished the Camino or who are presently still on it.
    I have perused the packing lists and used them as a guide; but it would appear to me they are more suited to the summer months rather than early spring ( April & May ). My plan is to leave my home is Queensland Australia where the temperature at that time of year averages between 20 at night to 30 degrees during the day and start at Saint Jean around the 1st April 2015. From research the temperature is in the region of 6 to 13 degrees.
    As a result I have packed a light sleeping bag and mat just in case. My gear consists of mainly technical fabrics and merino wool with a down vest using the layering system and a breathable rain jacket with hood. Allowing for minimum pairs of socks and jocks and my two walking poles, my pack comes in around the 9kg mark currently.
    My question relates to whether gaiters are a good idea due to slush/mud ?
    What other items did anyone walking at this time of year have that was outside normal packing that they found useful ?
    Also I cant make up my mind as to 2nd pair of foot ware due to weather ( currently a light weight pair of joggers is preferred option ).
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Gordon

2. frida1

frida1 Member

You seem to have a well covered. I did the camino this year starting April 10, and the weather was warmer and drier than usual. Personally, I don't see any need for a sleeping mat, but a bag is a good idea if it's cold. Rain jacket is good idea. I agonized over gaiters, and in the end didn't take them. I did take rain pants, and they were the only gear I never used. My pack (w/o water or food) weighed more like 6.5 k.I took keen sports sandals for 2nd pair of shoes, which worked ell and dried quickly. Many people had flipflops or shower shoes as a 2nd pair.I had a light pair of gloves and a watch cap, both of which I really needed on some cold days. At Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Astorga and Ponferrada there are numerous outdoor stores if you need something.Buen camino!

3. GigiDubai

GigiDubai New Member

Hi !! I am also planning to go on April :) good to know I will not be alone!!

4. Goonky

Goonky New Member

Thank you for the reply, seems I am on the right track at least.
    Will be carrying some extra gear ( which I know is considered a bad idea ) but will have trained with it in the pack before I go.
    This is due to camping across the UK and Isle of Mann immediately after walking Camino.
    Thank you for input.
    Gordon

5. mawalker1

mawalker1 New Member

We walked Leon to fisterre in late May early June and were surprised at how cold it was. I never wore my shorts. Smart wool shirts and underwear worked fantastic. Never used gaiters but my rain pants had them built in. 2 of us without gaiter ended up with wet socks/shoes. I used keen sandals as backup footwear.

6. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

I walked April/May last year and the weather varied enormously. I used everything I took. It can be very chilly in the evenings after the sun has gone down and I would recommend relaxing shoes that you can wear with socks. I wore a lightweight down vest but found it preformed poorly when I was wearing it under a rain jacket. It held onto any moisture and became very wet inside my jacket. This year I bought a new fleece gillet which worked much better for me.

if you are I tread you can view my packing lists. Here for Aprill/May 2013 on the Frances route, and here for the Portuguese route this year in May.
    buen camino!

7. frida1

frida1 Member

I walked in April/May and the weather did vary. I brought silk long underwear that weighs almost nothing and crumples into a small ball. I used the top under my shirt especially, when it was cold in the evening or starting to walk in the morning. I also agree that fleece is better than down, because when cold it can also be damp. Rather than a jacket, I brought a fleece vest, and with the long underwear and a shirt it was fine. I rarely needed to add the top layer of the rain shell, although I sometimes did for extra warmth.

I also agree that your extra shows should be some that can be used with or without socks for most flexibility.

8. Goonky

Goonky New Member

Thanks all for the input, will go out and buy a fleece after reading your comments re down vest.
    I have started training with an 11kilo pack and currently walking 10 km of mixed terrain in about 2hr 15min. I have plenty of time to practice.

9. Viranani

Viranani New Member

In addition to all of the comments above, I found a small umbrella surprisingly useful--against rain and sun.
    I had a fleece vest, which was a Godsend.

10. Kieran

Kieran Guest

I am planning to travel from St Jean to do the whole CAMINO to Santiago around 20th April2015

am wondering whether there are any others planning to do similar around that time

have read the threads on the types of clothes and the types of weather

Kieran. KIWI