1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking In August

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by Christine Fireheart, May 31, 2015.

1. Christine Fireheart

Christine Fireheart New Member

Am I mad to consider walking from Porto to Santiago in August. I'm a teacher so can only walk in the school hols so was thinking of starting Aug 13th and planning about 14 days to do the walk, and I realise I'd have to start at sunrise to beat the heat, but I haven't found one post on here saying they are walking in August. I'm not that experienced but have started walking 8k a day hoping to increase week by week in preparation.

2. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Christine,
    You are not mad to start your Camino on that particular date. Many would say upon reflection, that you are mad the first day you contemplate walking a Camino.
    August is a fantastic time upon this walk and enjoy it to your heart's content.
    Sean,
    Dublin

raymond john and danvo like this.
  3. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Christine, there is no wrong time to walk camino. Only wrong time is when you looking for a reason not to go. (as me - i'm old.. i'm alone...etc) Simply go! Of course, july and august is very hot, but you can go early morning and - if you need - late afternoon (siesta is fine :D ) And i think on camino portugues there will be less people than on camino frances :)
    Remember : there is no bad weather, but we are often not very well prepared :)
    Buen camino!!

raymond john likes this.
  4. anjamaria

anjamaria Anjamaria

Hi Christine, I walked the Camino Portugese Porto-Santiago last year at the end of May. I did not meat many people during my walk and felt me very alone during the 2 weeks. Go and enjoy the camino!

5. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Hi Christine
    As Danvo said. I could not have put it better. There is no wrong time to walk the camino (only your time)and there's no bad weather . As this is your Camino, even when its raining in your mind you will be walking in sunshine.I have no doubt you will have a wonderful camino experience and make many camino friends. Put your trust in God and go the distance. "Ultreya"

Carpe Diem & Buen Camino

Raymond John

danvo likes this.
  6. Christine Fireheart

Thank you all so much for your replies. I'm so looking forward to it.

Suzanne Tessier likes this.
  7. Another Walker

Another Walker Member

May i suggest you take an umbrella for shade. I did so on the same caminho at the end of last september and was very glad for it. Many types can be bought in Porto,near the Cathedral. Not expensive.

8. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I walked The Camino Portuguese myself in August – 2007 – We left Oporto on 16th August and had wonderful weather OK, it was warm, but not too hot to walk and we all really enjoyed our Camino

Details are all in my blog If you want to take a look

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

9. Christine Fireheart

Thank you all for your really inspiring and also practical answers....

RJS likes this.
  10. Shishka

Shishka Guest

Hi,Christine! I walked the Camino Spain ( from Sarria) in September 2012 with my frends . Our trip was only 120km. We want to go the Camino Portuguese in August next year. I will be wait the descriptions of your journey. Buen Camino

11. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    In another post I mentioned the fact that there are 4 different Caminos in Portugal, which all meet up in Redondela: Braga, Central, de la Costa, Litoral. All have their merits and defects. Let us know which route you are planning:)