Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Walking In March

Discussion in 'Camino Ingles' started by Anna Pugh, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Anna Pugh

Anna Pugh New Member

I'm planning to walk the Camino Ingles in March 2016... has anyone walked this route at that time of the year? any tips gratefully appreciated.. ps this is my first Camino, and I'm in my 50ies. thanks Anna

2. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome, Anna! In march is cold weather, so you must take warm clothes = more things in backpack and heavier backpack, but on other side it is much quieter month than in summer.

Anna Pugh likes this.
  3. Cornelius

Cornelius Member

Hi Anna, I haven't walked the Camino Ingles but completed the Camino Frances in March this year and had a ball. The weather was superb with frosty mornings and bright (sometimes hot) sunshine all day for a month. You'll be in the West where the climate is more maritime (read as 'could well be very wet') so be prepared with a poncho/cape or a suit of real wet-proofs. Your intended route is a (relatively) short so you may be lucky and squeeze your trip between 2 Atlantic weather fronts. The other thing to check is hostel/albergue opening dates as it will be the low season and only some accommodation is open at that time of year. Have a good one and Buen Camino!

Anna Pugh likes this.
  4. Anna Pugh

Anna Pugh New Member

Thank you Danvo. I'm being lazy/practical and having my luggage transfered so I will only need to carry extra waterproofs and daily provisions. Well that's my plan so far..

5. Anna Pugh

Anna Pugh New Member

Thank you. I've booked through one of the Camino agencies so hopefully they will have booked accommodation. . I just need to ensure I can walk it..even though you "seasoned" camino walkers will think I'm doing a short and easy route. :)

6. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Anna, more I see that you wrote Camino Ingles...So I recommend to you ask that agency if they have booked places in albergues. If this is only luggage transport company, you need to find albergues opened in March..

7. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I walked the Camino Ingles as my second Camino – But this was in May, so I can’t give you info on the weather in March.

How many days are you planning to walk it in and are you starting off in Ferrol or A’Coruna ??

My overriding memory of the Camino Ingles was the second day where it was over 40k from Mino to Hospital de Bruma on a Very Hot day!!

Write up on my own experiences in my Camino blog if you want to take a look

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

8. Anna Pugh

Anna Pugh New Member

Hi Rob.. I'm planning on taking my time as I've never done anything like this before... and not a spring chicken. I shall walk from Ferrol and finish by an additional day in Santiago to see the sights. March is Lent to it makes sense for me to do the Camino then... so I just need to be aware of the weather :).. I will look at your blog - thanks for the advice

9. Elise Leto

Elise Leto New Member

Anna did you do this Camino then? I ask as I am about also to do this Camino in March 2017 and would love to have some impressions and advice from you. I am walking alone and am a woman of 58 about to turn 59 during the walk-

Wily likes this.
  10. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Elise - If you look on the right side of the Forum page, you'll see a recent thread "Planning for Camino Ingles September 2017." I think you find some useful information there as a starting point. Buen Camino!

11. Elise Leto

Elise Leto New Member

Many thanks