Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Walking Terrain - Would It Suit Sandals

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Topics' started by Jancee, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Jancee

Jancee New Member

I have problems with my big toe and prefer to walk in sandals. Does anyone know if the terrain from Portomarin to Santiago is okay to walk in walking sandals? I leave in less than a week.

Thanks.

Wily likes this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Jancee - Although it's not the most popular type shoe on the Camino, one does see a number of pilgrims wearing sandals. Sandals would be fine for walking all of the CF including the section from Portomarin to Santiago. I would suggest that you invest in a good quality pair of sandals. I have a pair of Teva Leather Omniums (these do happen to be closed-toe sandals) that would be fine for walking long distances in. I've worn other open-toed Tevas that were equally comfortable. If you already have a pair that are well made and comfortable, I think you're all set. Buen Camino!

3. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

@Jancee i walked Camino frances and camino Finisterra/Muxia, total ca. 850 out of 900km in sandals. It was my best decision on camino.
    I wore Teva Terraluxe (something like Teva Tanza, try google). My Merrell Moab I used only for walking through Pyrenees and down from Cruz de ferro and O'Cebreiro.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  4. Jancee

Jancee New Member

Thank you both. I am so relieved. Can't wait to start my journey next week.

danvo and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  5. John Ciribassi

John Ciribassi New Member

My wife lost a nail during the Zubri to Pamplona stage due to too small hiking boots. The person who runs the hiking shop in Pamplona talked her into Teva trekking sandals and it saved her Camino. She loves them We are currently in Leon. She has also biked in them.
    John