Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Walking the Camino de Madrid

Discussion in 'Camino de Madrid' started by Lee Cat, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Lee Cat

Lee Cat New Member

I'm planning for spring 2014 to walk the Camino de Madrid. I haven't seen much talk re this Camino in the forum. I'd appreciate any advice, tips, observations for people who have walked this route.

2. sulu

sulu New Member

3. Lee Cat

Lee Cat New Member

Thank you so much. I had already pulled up the maps but I was unaware of the list of auberges.

4. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 New Member

Hi, Lee Cat,
    I walked the Camino de Marid in 2011. I kept a blog (you'll have to go to the very first posts, because I then connected with the Frances, and then the Invierno, and then the Vdlp to Santiago) -- link here: http://peregrina2000.blogspot.com/

As a general comment, I would say that this camino is beautiful in spring (I began around mid-May), the albergues are great after Segovia, there is little elevation gain (which may be a plus or a minus), and you will go through some very nice towns. The CSJ (the British Confraternity of St. James) has a good online guide, which works on a donation basis: http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

It's up to date and really all you need. I wouldnt want to walk this route in summer, but in spring it was green, filled with wildflowers and lovely temps!

5. unadara

unadara New Member

Hola
    I was very lucky to walk this route Sep/Oct 2012 with a Camino friend who lives in Madrid, I agree that after Segovia the walk accommodation is good. The CSJ guide is very good. Some stages are long. Food and drink are not always available. You may walk alone and dine alone?. The solitude was amazing. There are many Churches but not so many pilgrim services or access. But when you get one it is a blessing. I wrote a short blog, not big on detail. http://unascamino2011.wordpress.com/2012/09/ I joined other camino friends in El Burgo Ranero and walked in with them. If you have Spanish it will be easier, I think I could have managed on my own but will never know. Many nights could be on your own in wonderful/quirky sleeping rooms. Go for it. Buen Camino.

UnkleHammy and Emma like this.
  6. Lee Cat

Lee Cat New Member

Thanks so much for your blog. There is so little information re the Madrid Camino. I appreciate any little tidbits. I was wondering about the long walk from Segovia to Santa Maria de Real and see that you carried on and didn't stay in Ane. Now I know I have that option if I feel I can't make it so long as I take food with me. If you remember any other points that may help, I'd appreciate talking further. I leave April 29 from the US.

7. WorldTrekker

WorldTrekker Member

8. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator Donating Member

Orava likes this.
  9. JoAl

JoAl New Member

10. JoAl

JoAl New Member

Hello Maggie, I am doing a little research on the Madrid Camino. We have flights booked and are good to go,starting our walk on the 16th March. Maybe we'll meet on our way. Read a page of this blog and enjoyed it. Take care all

11. Magwood

You will be about five weeks ahead of me @JoAl. I wish you a buen camino!

Jopoke and JoAl like this.
  12. Orava

Orava Active Member

I was thinking of doing the Via de la Plata this springtime but the option of combining caminos Madrid+Frances to Leon, then the camino Salvador to Ovieido and then the Primitivo back down onto the Frances (as suggested by Magwood - thanks!) is looking very tempting. Had never considered it before but it could just be the most scenic route etc. Hope to head out early April this year!

Magwood likes this.
  13. Orava

Orava Active Member

Just a few quick questions concerning the walk out of Madrid hoping some of our more salty contributors have some sage advice to offer.

I notice that there is a new start point offered these days at San Sebastian de los Reyes to Tres Cantos as a first stage rather than walking from Madrid city centre? Anyone had experience of this route?
    http://www.ssreyes.org/acces/recurs...es/Medio_ambiente/366919858_2632010101943.pdf

Has anyone ever walked directly from T4 Barajas Airport Madrid to San Sebastian de los Reyes or to Tres Cantos? Looks like all the surrounding roads are motorway type with zero pedestrian routes (from google satellite view).

Is the walk from the centre of Madrid worth doing/interesting or is it a grind?

Many thanks.

14. Orava

Orava Active Member

Sorry to re post this but has anyone ever walked straight out of Barajas Airport onto the Camino de Madrid? Airports are not usually pedestrian friendly in terms if access etc.

Hope to head off in a few weeks' time - Camino Madrid + Salvadore + Primitivo + Frances + Finisterra.

15. Magwood

Sorry I can't help. Will be following in your footsteps in a couple of months, so currently I don't have the knowledge. I hope there's not too much snow over the picos at this time of year. Stay warm! I will be very interested to know how you get on.
    Buen Camino!

Orava likes this.
  16. Orava

Orava Active Member

Magwood - I'm hoping not too cold and snowy mid March time. We will see!

I will try to walk straight from airport. If not easy then will bus to San Sebastian to north and start there.

Will try to post here as I go but have not been too successful with forum updates from my "smart"phone in the past.

17. Wily

Wily Camino Francés May 2016

Hey Orava - A series of documentaries were made on the different Caminos. If you haven't already seen it, I thought you'd enjoy this one Nuestros Caminos a Santiago - Camino de Madrid. Even if you don't speak Spanish, the quality of the filming will certainly heighten your excitement for your upcoming walk.

I have spent a significant amount of time in Madrid over the years, but have never walked out of Barajas. From purely a safety point of view, and I'd apply this to most major cities that I've visited, I'd take the metro to the city center where you could start at the Church of Santiago and get your first sello. Buen Camino!

UnkleHammy and Magwood like this.