1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking The Camino For Cystic Fibrosis

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Terry Wilson, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Well-Known Member

Hello all. Please do not think this is a ploy to raise money. I was not going to say any thing about this on the forum but it is late at night 10pm is late for me and I am feeling emotional about my pending start of the Camino two weeks time.
    I would like to share with you my story. You can find reference to this on the New Zealand Cystic Fibrosis facebook page.
    I am walking both to fix myself and to raise awareness of this disease .
    Our grand daughter Maddy was seventeen last year and she had not had a good year she had spent more time in hospital than out of it in 2016. I had told her about my decision to walk the Camino while she was in our locale hospital. I had decided to walk it only two weeks before. She said she would love to come.
    That night they moved her to a larger hospital and put her into an incubator to give her lungs a rest.
    She could not speak before being put under as she was being force feed oxygen but she got a piece of paper and a pen and wrote in very scribbly writing . Quote; I love you please tell all my family and friends not to worry. I will be alright. Unquote; She died the next day .
    I hope I can do her justice on my Camino.
    I know this is just one of many stories of why people walk the Camino.
    But the mood I am in I needed to share it with some friends
    God bless her and all of you.

2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Terry - As I said in a post just the other day, we all walk the Camino for our own reasons. Some are religious while others are quite secular. We may be driven by very personal reasons or perhaps we're still trying to figure out why we are on the trek and hopefully the reason will come to us as we head to Santiago. We walk for ourselves. We walk for others. There is no one correct or better reason for making the pilgrimage than another. Perhaps one of the things the Camino can teach us is greater tolerance for the perspectives of others. We're all there for an important reason even if it's not completely clear the moment we talk our first steps away from SJPP.

Thank you for sharing. You have a great deal to look forward to in the weeks to come. By having your grandaughter in your thoughts and in your heart, you've already done her justice (as well as yourself). Buen Camino!

3. John McEvoy

John McEvoy Member

Terry I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I chaired an event for five years for Cystic Fibrosis and my daughter is now a pulmonologist and works very closely with CF.

I am also doing the Camino for a reason - my daughter the doctor was diagnosed five years ago with MS and I will say the rosary each day for the cure.

I am leaving SJPP on 8/15/17 (staying in Orisson)

I wish you a very Buen Camino

jmc

4. Terry Wilson

Thank you Wily I just needed to hear that right now.

5. Terry Wilson

Hi John I leave st jean on the 13th Aug,
    I will keep you and your daughter in my prayers.
    Thank you for your thoughts.

UnkleHammy and Greg Canning like this.
  6. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Terry

I don't know of any words of mine that could provide any comfort for your loss. All I can say is that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers and I pray that you find peace on your Camino. You will undoubtedly find good people and great experiences.

If I can, and please feel free to ignore this suggestion, I would suggest that you take time to visit the church of San Esteban at Zabaldika. It is just a little way of the main Camino and up a hill on the road between Zubiri and Pamplona. It is a very small and simple church which is looked after by a group of nuns. You can visit the bell tower which contains one of the oldest church bells in Navarre. The nuns will let you ring the bell to send your prayers out over the valley. I have to say visiting that church was one of the most moving and profound experiences I had on the Camino.

I wish you a Buen Camino

Greg

7. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Terry - Greg has mentioned this church before on the forum and I, for one, will definitely add it to my itinerary the next time I walk the CF. There are many unique places along the Camino that make your journey memorable and meaningful. Sometimes a pilgrim may find themselves in too much of a hurry to get to their end destination that day and thus not take the time out for even a short diversion off the path. Regardless of one's reason(s) for walking the Camino, it sounds like a visit to San Esteban at Zabaldika is worth the sidetrip on your way into Pamplona. Buen Camino!

hindsfeet likes this.
  8. Terry Wilson

Greg you say you dont know any words. You seam to be doing very well.
    Thank you so much for your words of support.
    Also I will promise you that I will follow your suggestion re the Church to the letter.
    I also intend to visit the church at rabanal. Where a man on this site got a mass said for our granddaughter and her sister who was in hospital with pneumonia. this append a few months ago .
    YOU LOT INCLUDING YOU WILY HAVE TO BE THE MOST LOVING AND SUPPORTIVE PEOPLE ON THE PLANET.
    THANK YOU.

9. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Terry

Couldn't agree more. The people we have met on Camino and on this forum are wonderful. I love how everyone comes here without prejudice or judgment and with love, support and positivity. I have learned so much through the kindness of the contributors on this forum and I've certainly gained so much more than I've given.

Buen Camino

Greg