1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking the Camino Frances while being Diabetic

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by MissMonique, Nov 25, 2012.

1. MissMonique

MissMonique Guest

My sister in law wants to come with me but she is diabetic. Does anyone know someone diabetic who has done the camino. The concern is the level of exercisem but more importantly how do we keep the insulin cool, and can we avoid carrying 5 weeks worth of insulin with us.

Linezj likes this.
  2. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

I am a diabetic,50 years old carried a lot of weight(ex-forces)...did the camino frances 2012 may-june...had a few issuses,but you can have those anyplace.........you can arrange if you feel you need to do this.ask at the albergue your staying at to either transport your insulin to your next albergue enroute by the rucksack forwarding daily service or have your sister in laws rucksack took ahead by the service(paid) from abergue to abergue and have it transoported and placed in a cool area/box etc.......you can only ask.......best thing for a diabetic the camino...I worry and end up looking after the non- diabetics.....my advice walk 6am to noon(may/sept) only relax and enjoy

3. buckredman

buckredman Member

I read a report written by a diabetic as an investigation sponsored by the Confrat of St. James which I found very informative. I think it's still available and could be found through the search function found at the top of this page. I'm also going to check to see if I have it saved somewhere.

The main things the report warned about were blisters which can ulcerate, and hypos. The amount of insulin needed dropped because of the extra exercise, and i think he said the insulin he was using was readily available along the Camino. Even Basques can be diabetics.

4. buckredman

buckredman Member

Linezj likes this.
  5. Linezj

Linezj New Member

6. Linezj

Linezj New Member

Thank you so much for this! I am planning on walking the Camino in September of 2017, and am trying to gather info on how I can either carry my insulin and testing supplies without overloading my pack.

7. buckredman

buckredman Member

I made the trip in May to July, 2013. at that time I was still medicating with pllls only so my advice may not be helpful.
    One thing that is sure to be helpful to any body who walks is that there is a pharmacy in just about every town along the way. Stop there first. If you need a doctor or hospital, the pharmacy staff will give you directions. Medical care is socialized and I visited several doctors and clinics--no charge for anything other than meds, or special tests/treatments. I paid for A1c and for all the stuff I bought at the pharmacies.
    I found sporting goods stores for the few things I had neglected to bring, also in just about every town. The things I bought this way: a pair of light gloves, trekking poles, replacement socks, toothpaste, etc.
    My major diabetes problems were caused by diet. I think everybody in Europe lives on bread and butter plus canned orange juice.
    Travel light and keep a lookout for pharmacies. English is a lingua franca and just about anybody speaks well enough to give directions.
    I made the trip with ZERO blisters due to forewarning via this
    forum--make sure your shoes fit properly. If you develop blisters you could be in big trouble.
    Good luck and Buen Camino

UnkleHammy likes this.