1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking The Camino Ingles In Early October!

Discussion in 'Camino Ingles' started by ShantiKara, Feb 8, 2019.

1. ShantiKara

ShantiKara New Member

My husband and I are planning to go to Sevilla in late September for a wedding and then will walk the Camino Ingles in early October. We are 60ish and in fairly good health and this will be our first pilgrimage. I see there are many posts which I will be reading, thank you! I will have many questions as I plan our trip. I'm thinking we'll fly to A Coruña from Sevilla, somehow get to Ferrol to start the walk. Any ideas on how to get back to Sevilla from Santiago de Compostela? I'm sure there are lots of posts that may give me this information, but any suggestions at this point would be great as we are planning to book our tickets to and from Sevilla (from Dulles/Washington DC) as soon as possible. Thank you so much! Kara

Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey ShantiKara - First, welcome to the Forum. Second, regarding picking the Camino Inglés to walk, a great choice! My wife and I walked the Inglés last spring. In spite of some heavy rain that week, it was another excellent Camino for us. We, too, are in our 60s and found it a delightful walk! As you plan, let me recommend that you check out the Gronze website. In addition to a general map with altitude changes, it’s an excellent source of information on accommodations along the route.

https://www.gronze.com/camino-ingles

Regarding getting from A Coruña to Ferrol, check out Laurie Ferris’ posts on her Camino Inglés experience. I know Laurie spent some time in A Coruña before heading to Ferrol to start her Camino. I found her perspectives very helpful before we walked the Inglés.

https://thecaminoprovides.com/2017/05/31/camino-ingles-2017/

Although Gronze and perhaps the Brierley guide, too, suggests that you can walk the Inglés in 5 stages, we broke this route into seven days of walking. As we weren’t in any hurry, plus some pretty wet days, taking a bit of a slower pace was perfect for us allowing our arrival into Santiago to coincide with Easter. An addition four days of walking took us then out to Finisterre. We posted a daily blog on the Forum that you might find helpful.

http://www.caminodesantiago.org.uk/threads/live-from-the-camino-inglés.7840/

Enjoy your Camino planning and don’t hesitate to send your questions to a very helpful group of people on the Forum. Buen Camino!

hindsfeet and UnkleHammy like this.
  3. ShantiKara

ShantiKara New Member

Thank you so much for your reply and for the very useful information!

Wily likes this.
  4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    The Camino Ingles is a wonderful little Camino, it was my own second Camino, and so it is some time since I walked this route myself :)

There are two possible starting points, Ferrol (As you mentioned) but also A Coruna, so unless you particularly want to start from Ferrol, there would be no need to worry about getting there as the choice is yours with regards to starting points.

When I walked the route, I used the little guidebook produced by The Confraternity of Saint James and found this to be excellent – It was updated in 2017/18 so the information it contains is current and both routes, Ferrol and A Coruna are described. You can buy the book on the CSJ website at https://www.csj.org.uk/product/camino-de-santiago-pilgrim-guides-camino-ingles-20172018/ or if you prefer, a downloadable version for Kindles is also available.

Another fantastic online resource is http://santiago-compostela.net/camino-ingles/ where (Again both route options) The Way has been photographed every kilometre, so this gives you a really good idea about the level of the challenge ahead of you :)

On a different tack – As you will be in Seville before you start your Camino, and have to return there after you have finished, were you aware that there is a Camino that starts in Seville ??

This is the 1000k Via de la Plata, which again is a fantastic Camino, so rather than yoyo up and down the length of Spain, you may prefer to start this route and then, if you enjoy it as much as I think you will, you could return another year and continue. The other big advantage of the Via de la Plata over The Camino Ingles is that the weather would be a lot better in Andalusia as compared with Galicia – Galicia can be quite wet in October https://weatherspark.com/m/32567/10/Average-Weather-in-October-in-Santiago-de-Compostela-Spain

Whichever route you decide, I am sure that you will have a wonderful time – The remnants of my own trek noes from both The Camino Ingles and The Via de la Plata, you might find them interesting.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  5. ShantiKara

ShantiKara New Member

I did know thrteista Camino from Sevilla and had rejected it as far too long. However, your suggestion to do it in stages is worth considering! Thanks!

RJS likes this.
  6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem – Pleased to be of help :)

When I reread my own post, I realised that one sentence didn’t make a lot of sense – It should have read - The remnants of my own trek noes from both The Camino Ingles and The Via de la Plata can be found in links on my Tagline, you might find them interesting.

Best Regards

Rob