1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking the Levante in May 2013

Discussion in 'Camino de Levante' started by peregrina2000, Dec 6, 2012.

1. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 New Member

I've bought my plane tickets, so that means I'm committed! I'm leaving the US on May 1, flying to Valencia on May 2, starting to walk on May 3 or 4. My planned route is to take the Levante to Zamora and the Sanabres from there to Santiago, and on to Finisterre and Muxia. Based on what several Camino friends have told me, I'm expecting this to be pretty solitary from Valencia to Zamora, but I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there who is thinking about the Levante at this time of year. Happy to share my stages and the info I've collected so far. Buen camino, Laurie

2. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Laurie, you always choose the coolest caminos. I'll be interested in hearing your experience and will likely follow in your footsteps one day. This coming year it will be a St. Frances walk for Jacqueline and Sebastian (whom I believe you've met) and me. But Spain is calling and 2014 is reserved for her. Maybe the Levante???

Wishing you the best in this Holiday season.

3. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 New Member

Hi, Sandy,
    Better late than never for a reply. Sounds like you have a very nice Camino plan for the summer. Maybe we'll coincide the following year when you're back in Spain.

Things are falling into place for my Camino de Levante, I have the guidebook published by the spanish Association of the Camino de Levante, and I just read that 500 pilgrims a year walk on this Camino. So I am hoping that I will run into at least one or two other pilgrims. If anyone else is thinking about this route, let me know!

4. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 New Member

Just to report back and say that I walked the Levante in May. It was a brilliant camino. In many ways, it's similar to the Vdlp -- lots of big open skies, brilliant green fields and red poppy blobs all over the landscape. Tons of castles. Many towns are historic and beautiful so there are frequently things to see and do in the afternoon. I had a blog: http://levante2013.blogspot.com/ and have a document with information on stages and accommodation here: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-stages-on-the-levante.19142/ I've also updated APOC's page for a quick thumbnail sketch: http://americanpilgrims.com/camino/route_descriptions/route_levante.html

I'm happy to answer questions, but if you are looking for an untraveled route with albergues in about 2/3 of the towns and cheap private accommodations in the rest of the places (usually less than 20 euro for singles), you should consider this route. Traffic is increasing at a huge rate (at least doubling from year to year) but the numbers are still very tiny. It is really pretty amazing -- go before it gets "massified". Buen camino, Laurie

5. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Peregrina,
    I enjoyed reading of your Camino and am tempted to try this route. I have walked the Via de la Plata and enjoyed. I have also been in Toledo and Avila in December of last year. Magnificent countryside. On my list of things to do. Many thanks for recording your trip for us to drool over.
    Sean,
    Dublin