Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Walking The Norh in Mid October bad idea?

Discussion in 'Camino del Norte' started by zzotte, May 24, 2014.

1. zzotte

zzotte Member

Hi every one, I'm walking the Camino del Norte on or about October 5 2014, I'm walking from Lourdes starting Sept 25 to Santiago de Compostela and I should be in Irun about that time, my question is it will be difficult to find sleeping facilities during that time of the year? I really don't want to get stuck outside somewhere :( thanks in advance, anyone planning walk this time of the year?

Thanks again
    Mario

2. New mexico bike

New mexico bike Member

Mid Oct.? Answer these questions, 1. Am I fit? Im in my 30's 40 ' 50's? I've done extensive travel in the mountains before, is it the first time? going the north way is tuff on a good day, add winter well its hard and not to be taken lightly!
    new mexico bike

3. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Zzotte,
    I walked it at the same time two years ago and it rained for 3 solid weeks. It is a long difficult walk, mostly on roadway and at that time of year most of the Refugios are closed. It is still possible to do the walk but I would advise against doing it alone, especially if you are female. There are stretches where even I, a big Irish bucko with a large stick felt uncertain about walking out early morning in darkness. In the early stages, there are many long walks through forested mountain areas and best done in company in my opinion. The walk would be totally different a few weeks earlier in the year when you have more company.
    I wish you well whatever you choose to do.
    Regards,
    Sean,
    Dublin

4. FluFin

FluFin New Member

I too am walking the Camino del Norte this October. (unless i'm suggested otherwise) I am physically fit and have experience with mountainous terrain. Is it wise to choose this route as my first Camino? I also intend on bringing a tent to camp; is this possible? Is the CF busy this time of year?
    Thanks
    BTW Zzotte, I'm from California as well. :)

5. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Flu,
    Walking de Norte as a first Camino is fine as you are fit and experienced. It will however be October and the weather will be changing on the coast. Last year there was snow on the high mountains south of Santander when I passed through and nights were chilly. I could not imaging camping and certainly would not fancy it in some stages. The route is hard enough without the extra load and you will always find a place to stay. The Camino Frances tends to be busy right up into mid November but numbers are nothing like what they are at the height of the season May-September. Most Refugios will be open, whilst many on the Norte close at the end of September.
    Whatever you choose, enjoy your Camino,
    Sean,
    Dublin

6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I have just returned from walking the Camino Norte (As part of my Big Camino from Cumbria) and as a route choice I can recommend it.
    As already mentioned, autumn will be setting in, so you will have to go prepared for some cooler weather as well as some rain (I walked part of The Camino Frances in October a few years ago, and the last few days of that weren’t too much fun because the rain had turned the paths into quagmires)
    Taking a tent is a different matter, I wouldn’t bother myself as it isn’t just a tent that you would end up carrying, by the time you add all the other camping paraphernalia, carry-mat, stove, cooking utensils, food etc, you will end up with a massive load.
    One thing I would check is how many of the Refugio’s remain open in October as this might have a bearing on your route choice

Good Luck and Buen Camion
    Rob

7. FluFin

FluFin New Member

Thank you for your input. I have decided to take the Frances. I can always take the norte another time.

8. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I can’t say that I am surprised that you have chosen the Camino Frances – After all, more than 70% of Peregrino’s walk the Frances while just over 6% choose the Norte
    http://www.caminodesantiago.me/2013-statistics-for-the-camino-de-santiago/
    Only time will tell if this is the correct decision and I will be interested to know, once you have returned and walked The Camino Norte which one you preferred
    Buen Camino
    Rob