1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking the Via de la Plata from Seville to Salamanca starting April 8, 2015

Discussion in 'Camino Via de la Plata - The Silver Route' started by vinsman, Jan 4, 2015.

1. vinsman

vinsman New Member

Hi there,

I am walking from Seville to Salamanca this year. I have walked the Frances twice but no other routes. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Vinsman,
    It is a good time to go, as this route gets pretty hot later in the season. Be prepared for a few long stretches but you should have company. There is some practical information in the other posts in the this section of the forum, especially the guide by Ger Kelly.
    Enjoy your Camino, this one is very different from the Frances.
    Regards,
    Sean,
    Dublin

3. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Same plan, I will start from Sevilla Apr 26

4. vinsman

vinsman New Member

Hi Tyson, my blog is www.vinsman.com I will try to write everyday. Buen Camino.

5. vinsman

vinsman New Member

Thank you Sean. I appreciate the tips. I am very excited to walk a new way. I hope to walk as many routes as I possibly can.

6. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi Vinsman,

thanks for the mention on your blog, I appreciate it.

7. sean

sean Active Member

Hey Vinsman,
    Do not forget to plan a stay in Buenavente on your walk. The Albergue is the old train station and you get the keys from the local Cop Shop. Memorable.
    Sean,
    Dublin

vinsman likes this.
  8. jacktar

jacktar New Member

Hi Sean,
    I'm also starting the VDLP from Seville on the 6th or 8th of April. Actual date depends. Will probably be staying at the Triana hostal the night before. Are you going via Sanabres or El Camino Frances (Astorga)?
    I went via Astorga last time (Sept/Oct '14) . Met lots of good people, no shortage of Albergues, but a little too crowded for me .
    Maybe we'l l meet up if you take a rest day.
    Burn Camino .

9. windswept

windswept New Member

Home Page:
    I am staying at the hostel Architect and leaving on 16 April. This will be my third camino. If, on the 1 May you see a man chomping on goats cheese and three day old bread under a wizened olive tree that will be me celebrating my 68th birthday. When I get to Santiago I normally have a list of those who have asked me to light a candle for a loved one. I do feel a little sad that the candles are electronic lights and not wax, but, hey ho, I am reading my list of names off an iPad. Such is progress.

vinsman likes this.
  10. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Jacktar,
    Apologies if I gave the impression I was starting the Via de la Plata in April. I walked it in 2012 and was passing on some advice. Would I love to go back? Well, if I was honest, I have never left this, or any of the Camino routes I have walked. Every day my mind wanders down some ancient side road feeding off the 'Long Acre' of one, or other Camino route. By the way, the 'Long Acre' is an old Irish description of letting your cattle feed on the grass by the side of the road.
    Sean,
    Dublin

El Condor 2014 likes this.
  11. Dave Murray

Dave Murray New Member

Hi, I am doing the Via de la Plata for one week each year. This year, I go back to Alcuescar in May and hope to get to Salamanca in the week, a distance of about 250 klm. My experience to dats is that it is a really nice Camino and it should be relatively warm without being hot. However, it is quiet and I didn't come across many Pilgrims on this Camino, only a handful and, on some days, none at all.
    Dave, Cork.

12. pangloss

pangloss Guest

Hi guys, I'm starting from Zafra (rather then Seville) on 11 April, so looks like we might meet up. Its my first Camino, so I'll be glad of company.

Patrick

13. jacktar

jacktar New Member

14. jacktar

jacktar New Member

Hi Patrick,
    A change of plan meant I too started in Zafra ( April 10th)
    Am right now in Caceres for two days taking an extra day of rest. Just to note: the albergue in alcantara is closed and the private one is full (at this posting) so unless you stop at casar de caseres you will have a 44k walk from caseres. Just a heads up.
    You're one day behind me so with my extra day in caseres we might meet in casar de cadres.
    Byen Camino hombre.