Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Walking to Finisterre

Discussion in 'Santiago to Finisterre' started by Brendan, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ThomasV

ThomasV Camino Bound September 2016

Home Page:
    Thanks for the motivation Ken! I probably will go for it

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Yes – Another vote for walking to Finisterra – It took me 3 days, but if you have the time, it would have been an easier walk spread over 3 days and with the new Refugio’s, I believe it is now possible to do this (It wasn’t when I did the walk)

Apart from it being a beautiful little addition to your Camino, there are several advantages of walking the route including

1) The route is a Lot quieter that the Camino Frances and I am sure you will love it

2) You get an extra Compostela for walking the route, this is available at the Refugio at Finisterra

3) Walker’s get precedence for beds in the Refugio at Finisterra

4) When I walked the route, we went out to celibate, but returned to comply with the Refugio curfew - But the Hosptalario informed us that the curfew didn’t apply to walkers, so we continued our celebrations into the small hours – Whether this was a good idea or not .........

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  3. ken huocj

ken huocj Member

Hitting the 3/4 mark next year, and planning another long "stroll" in 2018,
    Either the Camino again or the 188 temples of Japan., time will tell.
    Glad you're ,add your positive decision. Many discoveries will flow your way whilst en route, Altreia. Meegwetch, k

4. ThomasV

ThomasV Camino Bound September 2016

Home Page:
    Great info .. Thanks RJS...I loved #4 !

5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem Thomas – Pleased to share the info :)

With #4 – Well it seemed like a much better idea at the time than it did nursing the sore heads on the bus back to Santiago de Compostela the next morning ;-)

Best Regards

Rob

6. Misfitter

Misfitter Live Love Walk !

Dessert after a fine meal - perfect description John. Like everyone I have so many wonderful memories of my May/June 2016 Camino but for me Finisterre was the icing on the cake. It wasn't until I had walked out of the water on a foggy wet day after walking 28km from O Logoso that I realised I had completed my journey. I was overwhelmed with emotion and to have some of my closest Camino family there with me only made it that more special.

7. James Guest

James Guest New Member

Did you you mean to say the 88 temples of Japan ( Shikoku pilgrimage) if not what is the 188 temples of Japan.

8. dalebob

dalebob Member

Hello out there
    Just thought I would add some info on this route from my walk in September 2016. Walked the Camino Ingles from Ferrol early September 2016 ( nice 5 day walk but not a stroll like Sarria or Tui ! but will post further details in that forum). Took 4 days this time the old legs are getting tired to do the Negreira to Finnisterre leg in 2 days. My view was the Pilgrim walking traffic flow was a little greater than the last 2 times I have walked the route in 2013 and 2015. That said I like the general feel of this route and your fellow walkers seem more relaxed and mellow after the big revealing emotional feeling on arriving for the first time at SdC. I can still feel that buzz sensation.
    However there are lots of new clean shiny Way markers stones on the route that the have distances insert on them and no graffiti written on them yet. If you haven't extended this far I would suggest if you've got time and the legs it's worth it add Muxia also if you can!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  9. BoxOfFrogs

BoxOfFrogs Member

I just got back from Finisterre yesterday. There was a chance at taking some last minute holidays and I was unsure what I wanted to do.

Then I remembered writing in 2012 that I thought the Camino finisterre would be a perfect little trip instead of a city break or similar.

So taking my girlfriend along for her first taste of the Camino we flew to Santiago on Sunday, walked mon to Thursday. Got the evening bus back to Santiago on Thursday and then hopped on a plane to London Fri am.

It was a great experience. I've not been on the way since 2014, however after seeing that first yellow arrow I felt totally at home.

We were unseasonably lucky with the weather! 20c and clear blue sky's. It was a lot quieter than when I walked in September 2012, almost as quiet as the Portuguese way from lisbon in 2013. There also seems to have been something of an explosion of accommodation possibilities. You could realistically do this walk in 3/4 or 5 days now depending on time frame and fitness. My phone said we walked 68.5 miles in the 4 days. We had intended to walk it in 3 but my girlfriend wasn't expecting it to be quite so undulating as it was and she unfortunately got a few blisters. I think 3 days is easily achievable if you're conditioned ( I walked in in 3 days back in 2012 and have no memories of it being difficult after getting used to walking from SJPDP.) but 4 days is less stressful.

The only downside is I now need to try and get 5 weeks off work to walk the via de la plata because it's got me interested again! Arghh...

10. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Active Member

Oh gosh this thread has me so excited as we have planned and mapped this walk starting on 17th October and 2 days rest when we complete the French way later this year :D I have to admit though that I am assuming that we are all going to be in good health haha :rolleyes:

Wily and SimLin like this.
  11. SimLin

SimLin Active Member

Just makes the heart glad, doesn't it... longing for it to start and yet, must enjoy everyday in between! Oh, and we will be in good health!

12. Tom V

Tom V Member

Does anyone have information on public transportation from Finisterre back to Santiago? Times? Frequency? Cost?

13. BlackDog

BlackDog Member

http://www.monbus.es/es is where you can find the bus timings. That's it apart from taking a taxi. Ask at the albergue when you are there for shared facilities.

14. Rainyday woman

Rainyday woman Member

How many stamps per day are needed to get your additional compestella in finisterre?

15. Tom V

Tom V Member

Does anyone have an estimated cost of a taxi from Finisterre to Santiago?