1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking with illnesses

Discussion in 'Medical Problems' started by JeffQ, Feb 21, 2014.

1. JeffQ

JeffQ Guest

I was wondering if anyone had ever done the Camino with an illness like bipolar or other mental illness?

2. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Yes. A close friend of mine walked with this problem. Strangely enough he had much less issue on the Camino than he did in his day to day life. I don't know if that was the result of the change or simply the result of walking for so long ever day.

I have ulcerative colitis and I was worried how I would be on the route. However I was again better than I was back home - I put that down to a lack of stress and walking everyday for so long - I ended up fitter than I had been for many years.

3. WalkingFemme

WalkingFemme Guest

I haven't done the Camino yet...i am planning on walking the route of the PortugueseWay this August/september...i have also wondered this, i have been diagnosed with BPD (borderline personality disorder) and have meds, but am still able to exercise and be very active, so i am not too concerned.

4. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

I was a long term serviceman and amongst the labels, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is on my list.

once on a Camino, second night I had a nightmare and that freaked a few people out, and one in particular...who I never saw again till Santiago when I saw this amazing face smiling like I have never seen before ....it was the lady from that night. she came up to me and gave me a hug for ages.....

HAPPY DAYS

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  5. Mark Lee

Mark Lee New Member

The great thing about the Camino is that while doing it your life becomes so much simpler and basic. No room for the everyday unhealthy things that can bring one down physically and mentally, and spiritually as well.

6. _Yvonne_

_Yvonne_ New Member

Hi Leslie, I also have ulcerative colitis and walked the Camino Frances from SJPdP to Santiago last year (2013). My trip was hanging in the balance as i'd been having a flare up for 5 months but walking all day, every day and sticking to low carb foods, within a couple of weeks it amazingly disappeared! I too felt better and fitter at the end than I had done in a very long time. I walk again this year :)