Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Walking Your Own Camino (differently) - Pdf Of Spread Sheet Attached

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Maurice Marr, Apr 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Maurice Marr

Maurice Marr Member

Home Page:
    Traveling your own Camino

I read constantly that I should travel my own Camino. My wife and I start our first Camino on June 6, 2017; but there is a twist.

Because of personal medical reasons, I need to stay in relatively clean rooms. I have corresponded with others in the Forum. Their comments helped greatly. They know who they are!

I am sharing the information in this excellent forum. You can read the categories which I used. I do have some questions that remain.

Are there any hotels or other accusations that I should switch to have a cleaner environment? I reviewed each of the websites in detail.

I expect to be anathema to purists on the Camino. Additionally, if for some reason, I cannot make the stage, I plan to take a taxi to the next hotel. Is this feasible?

Again, I am sharing my work in case others might be in a similar situation. I was seriously thinking about telling no-one, but that is NOT the spirit of the Camino. If this has helped you, please let me know. It was a non-trivial job to put together all the data. I apologize to any accommodation in which I might have collected bad data.

I could only upload a pdf file and not an excel file. If you want the excel file, please send me an e-mail at wmarr2@gmail.com

Buen Camino (and ours is getting close. :)

Thank you.

wayne

Attached Files:

arun and Wily like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Wayne - Even with your accomodation changes, I see no reason why you still won't have a great Camino. You're correct, we do all walk our own Camino! There is no "right" way to do it. What's right is what works for each person. On our recent Camino, for my wife's comfort, we stayed in more private double accommodations. It didn't diminish the Camino experience one bit. In fact, because she was more comfortable with this option, our Camino was near perfect! We are now planning our second one together next spring.

To specifically answer your one question, most of the time, it shouldn't be a problem finishing off a stage with a taxi to your destination. Obviously, it's going to be easier to arrange a ride from a village, but be assured that the folks who live along the Camino will graciously assist you if necessary. Keep an eye on your daily route or map and know where it might be easiest to grab a taxi. Most of the time, the Camino route isn't far off the highway. You'll be fine! Lots of options exist for pilgrims traveling The Way. Buen Camino!

3. Maurice Marr

Maurice Marr Member

Home Page:
    Thank you Wily - I read and keep reading that there is a "correct" way to walk the Camino. And I understand (I think) about the traditional Camino. For me, I can see the traditional way. One starts at SJPP (or somewhere else) and then walks as much or as little as they want. Our Camino (call it non-traditional) adds many additional constraints on the pilgrimage. For example, MUST finish a stage even when you physically can't.

Fundamentally, I feel like I am cheating. I see you telling me to walk my own Camino. :) [In a good way.] As usual, not only are you a font of knowledge but you have wisdom beyond your years - (this is meant to be a compliment!) I guess I am still a "kido". Thanks again. wayne

hindsfeet, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  4. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Last year I had problems and had to get a ride out of the forest and into Rochavalles. So there is never a real problem with getting to your day end.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  5. Maurice Marr

Maurice Marr Member

Home Page:
    Thanks, UnkleHammy.

You don't see the taxis in pictures of the of the Camino. Hope all is well with you. Knowing this helps.

wayne

6. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Last year I got badly dehydrated and had to quit my walk. I think that I am the only person on this discussion board that has admitted to failing to complete the full Camino. I suspect that others have quit and not mentioned it. (I didn't get a taxi out of the forest, I called 112 and had the emergency responce group send a jeep and get me out.)

Maurice Marr and hindsfeet like this.
  7. Maurice Marr

Maurice Marr Member

Home Page:
    UnkleHammy, I believe you! :) wayne

UnkleHammy likes this.
  8. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Active Member Donating Member

@Maurice Marr
    You walk your own Camino ! you may want to do it walking backwards, running, hopping ,slow, fast, cycle, take a bus, take a taxi , take a horse or a donkey ! Your Camino is YOUR CAMINO ! So don't feel that you are cheating !
    A Camino friend of mine is doing her 2nd Camino
    Quote "This is a 'no pressure' Camino. Plan to make my/our own rules as we go. I really want to scope out more interesting Albergues this time. Take a Taxi or Bus if I feel like it. Take photos , mix with pilgrims "end Quote "
    Don't put pressure on yourself, !
    I did the Camino with my wife in 2014 and we stayed in Albergues with "Habitacion Doble " (Private rooms )or Private Hostels. In the big Cities we stayed in Hotels ! My wife wanted a room with privacy and without getting woken up by other pilgrims at 4.30 am
    All in all we had a great time.
    Last year I walked the Camino with my son, a completely different experience . But still great !
    Buen Camino

cmp, hindsfeet and UnkleHammy like this.
  9. Maurice Marr

Maurice Marr Member

Home Page:
    Hi El Condor,

Thank you for writing. I appreciate your comments. I am beginning to understand " My Camino". It has taken awhile! wayne

10. cmp

cmp New Member

hindsfeet and Maurice Marr like this.
  11. cmp

cmp New Member

hi Maurice,some good advice previously.My wife and I are heading of for our 4th camino in August and each time we booked our accommodation before we started similar to you, staying in private rooms in either aubergues,casas and hotels.The other thing we did is have a small suitcase which was moved every day to our next destination,so we only carried essential items eg raingear,food,water etc.We did that for a couple of reasons,one because I have really dodgy knees and two because we always go somewhere else in Europe after our camino and really want to get out of the walking gear.We always get someone comment on the suitcase and how it should be done,it only shows their ignorance,considering they don't know your circumstances. I do it my way.
    Enjoy your camino,you'll meet lots of beautiful people and do it your way.

Wily and hindsfeet like this.
  12. arun

arun New Member

Wayne,
    This is great. So nice of you to share. This will help for my walk in July, Thanks a million.
    Buen Camino.
    All the Best.

13. Keith Bold

Keith Bold Member

We also are walking this august (my son and I). We have prebooked accommodation and are staying in private rooms as my son is 11. we are taking a train between burgos and leon due to the heat. I may use bag transfers and we will take taxis/ buses if we need to. Otherwise it maybe out of our reach. It will still be a great thing for us both. Do what you need to do.