1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waterproof Clip-on Speaker

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Aug 23, 2017.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

My brother mentioned that he'd like to listen to tunes during the long daily camino walks. I cautioned him on using headphones or earbuds since it is essential that he be able to hear approaching traffic when walking on roads or approaching camino cyclists on the senda. He mentioned a type of clip-on speaker that uses Bluetooth technology, or if the music source does not use Bluetooth, a cable can be used to attach to the music source. It is compact, lightweight and waterproof. He sent me a link on Best Buy which I shared with my wife. She purchased one and loves it. She's going to bring it along and use it with her MP3 player.

These are available on Amazon and Best Buy. Hers was on sale for around $39. Amazon lists it for $47.33

[​IMG]

El Condor 2014 and Greg Canning like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Bob - Excellent piece of advice about being aware of your surroundings. I found it very difficult to hear approaching cyclists until they were almost on me. Unfortunately, very few use the curtesy of a bell to to announce their often speedy approach from behind. It's important to be able to hear them coming up from behind as I found that I was the one stepping out of the way. Cars weren't nearly as problematic if one walks facing traffic and takes that extra bit of care when on a road. But, from a simple safety, being able to hear what's around you would preclude me from putting in the earbuds to listen to James Taylor. Plus, how could you hear and enjoy the morning cuckoos? I know you trip is approaching. Buen Camino!

3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Thanks, Wily. Yes, we want to be attentive of our surroundings. And also to be courteous to other pilgrims by not blasting the tunes so loud that would annoy the peace of other pilgrims. Other safety measures for us this year include both of us carrying a whistle. I've attached hi-glow reflective tape on the back of our backpacks, daypacks, trekking poles, and small tabs on the front and heals of our boots. We also have a flashing on and off light that can be attached to the front or back of our backpacks when walking on or near the road when it is still dark out (in addition to using head torches).

4. Wily

So right you are Bob about taking those very prudent safety measures. When we walked in the spring, we added the reflective tape to our backpacks and poles as well. I like the idea of the flashing light on your pack. As many of us find ourselves leaving in the dark, at least from time to time, all types of illumination are important for our well-being. I remember that my earliest departure was from O Pedrouzo very early that morning so that I could make it to the noon Pilgrim's Mass in Santiago. Not real comfortable walking along a road for a bit in the dark even with head torches on. So, take care and enjoy both your family and the Camino as you head to Santiago.

Greg Canning and BROWNCOUNTYBOB like this.
  5. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

For security it is great idea to take something like this. (btw great price, thanks, @BROWNCOUNTYBOB :) ) But on the Camino... after my 3 Caminos it is
    1. more weight in backpack
    2. Camino is not only long walking. It is time for soul, time to be with myself. So my recommendation is - no portable player, speaker, etc. Communicate with others pilgrims, enjoy country, people, enjoy Camino. And after returning home maybe he will forget to turn (any) music on :) Quiet is great:)

6. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Danvo, I fully agree with you. I won't be bringing any device to listen to and will be lost in my thoughts as I walk my camino. However, our last camino, my wife rightfully accused me of walking 30 to 50 meters ahead of her (but always within sight) so she had no one to speak with or listen to. We both like tunes from the 70s, so I joked that her MP3 and clip on speaker may incent me to walk with her this camino ! Bob

UnkleHammy and Greg Canning like this.
  7. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things

Wily.....well maybe 'WALKING MAN' by James Taylor....Ha :D

Greg Canning and Wily like this.
  8. Wily

Hey Hindsfeet - Yes, indeed! If you saw the film The Way, you might remember my rather obsure reference to JT's Country Roads which was a great tune to hear as he was leaving the albergue that one morning. Buen Camino!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Greg Canning and hindsfeet like this.
  9. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi all

I suppose it's horses for courses. My wife also likes to listen to music as she walks and I, like Bob, Wily and Danvo prefer to listen to the sounds around me. Mind you we have both been known to slip into song on long stretches (not that I sing very well!).

Anyway Bob, the countdown has certainly begun for you. This time next month I will be in Madrid waiting for the train to Fromista. Can't wait :)

Buen Camino

Greg

Wily and BROWNCOUNTYBOB like this.
  10. Daniel Bowater

Daniel Bowater Member

I had this same discussion with another pilgrim who couldnt believe I walked without music. For me I couldnt have imagined bringing music! A few times I had that awkward type of encounter with people who I didnt realise had earphones in. I guess everyone has different preferences and definitions of what enhances their experience. For me it was important to not have those influences in my head. I tend to associate music with activities like gym workouts where you're trying to smash a time and block out distractions. Whereas to me the Camino is about opening yourself to the surroundings. Safety-wise it would be like playing Russian roulette with the cyclists. During my walk they DID ring their bells like 90% of the time. What would concern me the most would be those riding teams hammering down in groups of 4 or 5 bikes on the narrow trails! That's just my perspective of course, everyone deserves to have the freedom to choose their way.

11. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

As a sidenote to pilgrim safety related to pilgrims-cyclist interaction, a few of you may be aware of Dave Whitson's camino podcast series. Episode 30 which was released two months ago is titled "Biking the camino". Dave interviews two experienced cyclists. Dave asked several good questions about the relationship between walkers and cyclists. One piece of advice for a pilgrim that hears an approaching cyclist is to turn around and simply remain in place. Accidents happen when a cyclist is approaching and cannot predict which side of the path a pilgrim will step. Bob

hindsfeet and UnkleHammy like this.
  12. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Well-Known Member Donating Member

@BROWNCOUNTYBOB , I used the same model on my last Camino del Norte , One of the best piece of gear I carried on the Camino. I found it very useful during those long lonely days. I like them because you can set the volume as background music and you are aware and hear all the sounds around you. (Much better than the earphones they block all sounds around you plus you ear gets sweaty and uncomfortable), You have got a GREEN light from me ( See attached photo )
    20170610_084834.jpg
    I LOVE it and every morning I started with the same song , On The Road Again by Willy Nelson
    ( click on the picture for a better view )

UnkleHammy, BROWNCOUNTYBOB and Wily like this.