1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We Are Live On The Camino..all Is Good

Discussion in 'Live from the Camino' started by ThomasV, Sep 12, 2016.

1. ThomasV

ThomasV Camino Bound September 2016

Home Page:
    Hello all,
    I am trying to catch up on some writing . We did the Pyrenees which was very tough just like everyone before has said. The endless steep climbs made the day much longer then I expected. Water became an issue but the man selling drinks and water at the top of one of the grades saved us. We took it slow down the steep downhill at the end. It was dry but still tough. We were not sure about the road to the right that was to be a bit longer but easier. We just plowed on. Roncenvalles was a sight for sore eyes,,, legs,, feet. We didn't have a reservation and stood in line another hour to get the fine Cabins off the main building. Lol they were really storage bins with 8 bunks. We were so tired it really didn't matter. Fortunately we got our shower in before the water went out in the whole Albergue. Our spirits were up as we left Wednesday for Larrasoana. It seems there are way more people on the Camino then I expected. After a tough very hot day (36c) we once again were out of luck getting a bed in Larrasoana. But the Camino provided and we taxied to Arres about 10K up the road. We got to stay at the old church Albergue. It was a great experience, the priest running the Albergue was so kind. He and his brother even gave us a ride back to Larrasoana the next day so we could begin our Camino where we left off. Lol his brother had to be 93 and the priest came along to help him see. We were so happy to begin day three and thankful to the priest and his brother full all the did for us. We had an easy day getting to Pamplona where we took today off. Heat is a factor still but being from So. California we are managing it better than most.
    Buen Camino all.

2. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

An interesting report, many thanks for posting. I have read elsewhere about a huge wave of pilgrims starting out in the last few days. I guess you will need to try to get 'off stage' and out of the surge. Good luck and Buen Camino!

Sallyann50 and Gerry Vandermaat like this.
  3. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    A wonderful experience i am sure - welcome to the Camino:)

Our first day was like this :
    Day 1 – St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles – 26km

4. Randy Dickow

Randy Dickow Donating Member Donating Member

On day 8. Stopped in Viana as we were told Logrono booked solid (festival.) There have been 3 days where we go the last or next to last beds. Lots of folk out here.
    When I say "we" I met Barb44 on the train from Bayonne. We've stayed relatively close together so far. We met and see Woodchild off and on.
    The last two days it has cooled considerably with cloudy skies. Only one day of light rain.
    Coming over the Pyrenees was interesting going through the clouds/fog. We took the steep way down without incident.
    Tomorrow on to Navarrette. Getting "off stage" to, hopefully, avoid the rush for beds.

Ginamarie, Sallyann50 and UnkleHammy like this.
  5. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Randy - Glad to hear your Camino is going well. I remember talking with a hospitalera in Los Arcos who told me that May and September were her busiest months. So, the reports I reading about the crowds don't surprise me. Add a festival or two into the mix, and there you have it, a pretty tough place to find beds at times. Personally, I think going "off stage" should help. Keep in mind, you won't be the only one doing that. Calling ahead a day or two might be another good option for you. As you're pretty comfortable with a pace by now, you should have a good idea how far you'll be going on any particular day. I found that asking a hospitalero call ahead to reserve a bed for me eased the pressure of walking during the busy month of May. Buen Camino!

6. Randy Dickow

Day 9. Viana to Navarrette. Booked ahead. A fellow pilgrim walking with us got the last bed at the Alburgue Casa del Peregrinos. Obviously, still a lot of folk out here.
    Nice cool, cloudy day. Almost missed the rain, but got caught about 2k from Navarrette. Light, but cold rain.

Sallyann50 and Greg Canning like this.
  7. ThomasV

Home Page:
    We are taking it slow... In Viana we got to see the bulls run! Then we did two half days. One day in Logrono and then a night in n Navarrete. I'm really glad we took the time in each of our last three spots. Today we made it to Najera. Good thing we had booked ahead because there is a festival here today and a lot of places are full. It is cool here also. But a good change from the first week! If any of you are going to be in Santa Domingo de la Calzada this weekend, I would book ahead. Looks like some of you are just a day behind us! I am always carrying my Sony camera in my right hand
    Buen Camino
    P.S. Najera is confusing walking in. Cross the bridge and follow the Camino into the older part of town. Tourist Info is the. Unfortunately for us it was close due to the festivities.

8. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Thomas - Love reading your reports! Isn't northern Spain a wonderful part of the world? Glad you're taking your time. That's the one thing that I missed. Shorter walking days and more time in lovely towns is the way to go! Great advice to your fellow pilgrims to book ahead for beds. Enjoy Santa Domingo! The cathedral is most unique with its chicken keep inside. I was lucky enough to hear a concert at the cathedral that made my visit extra special! You should also be able to enjoy some tasty tapas at outdoor cafes! Buen Camino!

Ginamarie and Sallyann50 like this.
  9. Randy Dickow

Looks like we're (Barb44) just behind you. Tonight in Navarrette. Tomorrow to Azofra. Had rain for the last two kilometers, light but cold. Prefer these cloudy days to those previous hot ones.
    Forecast now for cloudy couple days, but no rain. Hopefully, will not have a lot of mud to contend with. I'm walking in my Teva sandals for 8 of 9 days. I much prefer them to my shoes!

Not booked in Azofra, can't for muni, but hospitalero here says they have lots of beds and always can open more.

Anyone hear from Amorel? Barb hopes to run in to her somewhere.

Sallyann50 and Wily like this.
  10. Randy Dickow

Sitting in the Alburgue del
    Peregrinos chatting with Angel the hospitalero and Amorel is here!
    We are about to have our communal dinner.
    All is good with the world.

Ginamarie and Sallyann50 like this.
  11. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Randy I hope you and Amorel are enjoying your Camino :)

Sallyann50 likes this.
  12. Randy Dickow

I know I am. I think Amorel is and Barb44 too.
    Left early this morning in the dark heading to Azofra.
    Right now having cafe and a tortilla in Najera.
    Chilly, but no rain ... yet!
    All is good in my world.

Sallyann50 likes this.
  13. Randy Dickow

I've been in Azofra since 1:00. (It's 3:40 now.)
    Spoke too soon about the rain. It started just outside Najera. A cold mist/drizzle. My sandaled feet are ice cubes, but thawing! Tomorrow I'll probably wear shoes if the weather is the same.
    Haven't seen Barb44 since I left early, but Amorel just walked in.
    This Muni is nice. Two beds to a room. All the mod cons. While I like the medieval, modern works for me once in a while.

UnkleHammy, Sallyann50 and Wily like this.
  14. ThomasV

Home Page:
    Today we were on the Camino from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada. It was uphill just out of Najera. The hills rolled on for at least 15k. The grade most the day was up. We must be getting stronger or fitter..lol because we were not wiped out at the day's end. It was coolest day we have had so far. We had lunch in Ciruena. It was hard to find a cafe right off the Camino so we walked up to a cafe about 100 meters off the path. The only other cafe we saw was at the golf course as you walk into town. It rained on us the last 3k. It only really poured about five minutes. We didn't get too soaked and the boots stayed fairly dry. I really love Santo Domingo de la Calzada.!......(Sorry I posted this on Woodchilds link, meant to post it here, just went I thought I had this posting stuff down)

UnkleHammy likes this.
  15. ThomasV

Home Page:
    Thanks Wily!!! We went to mass and the chicken crowed right on que as the choir sang. It was incredible. My wife and I just looked a each other with our mouths open. I thought it was fake it seemed so much part of the song... But then the priest was talking and again... Cock-a-doodle-dooooooo ...lol all part of the program!

16. ThomasV

Home Page:
    Made it to Belordo... Real nice pension. Casa Waslala.. Very old and quirky but very cool place after a long day! I would recommend it highly.