Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Wearing Thongs In Churches

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Valerie, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Valerie

Valerie New Member

G'day from Australia.
    I'm doing my final repack before leaving home on 12 Sept 2017 to do my 1st Camino. I am wondering if it is acceptable to wear thongs (flip-flops!!) in churches that I will want to visit after the day's walking and am giving my feet a break from my hiking shoes.
    Thanks to all for your helpful info.
    Regards,
    Val :):)

Wily likes this.
  2. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

hi Valerie, although you can see it sometimes, it is not very best solution. I recommending sandals.

3. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Val - You won't have any problems wearing flip-flops in churches or anywhere else after a long day of walking. The people in the towns and villages along The Way are very welcoming to pilgrims and they certainly understand you've traveled far that day to get to their home. Respect and reverence are first of all in the heart! Of course, some types of clothing and behaviors would be inappropriate, but sandals are absolutely fine. I think there's a strong historical precedent for it in the Church. Buen Camino!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Lou Galan, danvo and hindsfeet like this.
  4. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

The best suggestion that I can offer is "Would you do the same thing at home"? If you think that your attire in someone eles's house of worship is questionable. Then it probably will also be elsewhare.

hindsfeet, Wily and danvo like this.
  5. Daniel Bowater

Daniel Bowater Member

Hi Valerie,
    Realistically most pilgrims will not take more than two types of footwear. It makes the pack too heavy and impractical. Most (but certainly not all) of the cathedrals and churches will be convenient to see after you have checked in to the albergue in that location. Therefore it is unlikley you would put your stinky boots/hiking shoes back on again! Not even as a dare! Like the others have said, try to respect the local customs as best you can. Consider donating a few euro here and there. It shows you care & helps with their rennovations and services etc.

Personally I think crocs are a better solution than thongs. They're stronger, less prone to loss/damage and just as light imo. I had no hassles with wearing them anywhere. The model I like is called "swiftwater" which in Australia is VERY popular because it has the best features of crocs and sandals combined. They are used alot by boating/marine enthusiasts. I can put up a short youtube video about it for anyone who is interested.

hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  6. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Daniel - I took a pair of Crocs with me on my first Camino and they worked great. But, I was already a Croc wearer so I knew that I liked them. They're lightweight and comfortable, with or without socks, for post-Camino hours.

On BCBob's recommendation, I got a pair of the PR Soles Recovery Sandals for last year's walk. Liked them even more because 1) they fit into my pack better, and 2) due to the sole design, they offered my tired feet a bit of a message. They come in both a more traditional sandal model as well as a flip-flop model.

http://www.goneforarun.com/pr-soles-recovery-sandals/

As you said, most of us don't carry more than one other pair of shoes for when we get off the trail. And guys, there's an all black model if you don't like pink! Buen Camino.
    IMG_0635.JPG

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Daniel Bowater and hindsfeet like this.
  7. Valerie

Valerie New Member

Hi All,
    Thanks so much for your advice on flip flops/thongs vs sandals. I appreciate the thoughtfulness of all of your answers. I will definitely dress appropriately and show respect to all.
    Two more sleeps and I begin my Big Adventure!!!
    Buen Camino,
    Val

8. Babs44

Babs44 Member

Hi Valerie, this time last year I started off with flipflops as my alternative footwear, but found them extremely slippery underfoot, both in the showers and outside when it had been raining. I switched to some cheap Croc-style footwear from Leon onwards and they were much safer and very comfortable. Both types of footwear were acceptable anywhere I went. Have an amazing time, buen Camino.