Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Weather Along Camino In France

Discussion in 'Le Puy en Velay to Santiago de Compostela' started by GentleFlower, Jul 12, 2015.

1. GentleFlower

GentleFlower New Member

Hi,

I'm new on this forum, and I enjoy it here. There's quite a few threads that I find useful, while preparing my camino!
    I'll be leaving in a few days to start my walk along the Chemin du Puy.

I was wondering whether anyone could tell me what kind of weather I should expect in France during my walk (in July/August). Mostly hot during the days I suppose, as its summer.
    But I was wondering:
    - How cold will it get in the nights?
    - How much rain should I be prepared for?

I found on Internet minimum average temperatures of 10-15 C. Is that all or can it get a bit colder, for example around Aubrac, at 1 km height? Point being: Is it enough to bring a thin softshell jacket and one (thin) long sleeved shirt, surviving the rest in only quick drying t-shirts?

I tried to find an answer on the internet, but most information is either about camino's in Spain or just a 14 days weather forecast (which doesn't tell me much about the rest of the month)
    I hope anyone who has experience with this camino is willing to answer my question!

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Generally you should get Hot and Sunny weather in July and August – But you can also get some rain and therefore should go prepared for this by taking a thin lightweight rain jacket or poncho (I take a single shell “Gortex” jacket myself – I also take gaiters and when it rains I still wear shorts, then the rain runs off my jacket, down my legs, but because of the gaiters, my socks keep dry and the water doesn’t then wick down my socks and give me wet feet – and then Blisters)

I also take a long sleeved T-shirt as although the evenings are still warm, you can feel a little chilled after being out in the heat of the day.

Finally, I still take a ultra-light sleeping bag, although this isn’t completely necessary for the cold, it is very useful if the Refugio has no beds left and you have to sleep on the floor

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

raymond john likes this.
  3. GentleFlower

GentleFlower New Member

Thanks for your answer!

4. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi @GentleFlower I walked this route three years ago as far as Conques. It is quite different from the Camino Frances, but still great.

The weather forecast is always likely to be better than what I can tell you. We walked in late June and early July and it was very hot, in the mid to high 30's celsius, which my Scottish body and head finds very difficult. In the evening it cooled to about 20C. But as I know this can change from year to year. From memory we had no rain for the ten days we walked, but again slightly unusual.

This year so far temperatures in Europe have been a bit higher than norm, where I am is in the high 30's and in parts of Germany it is 40C.

Use layers, T shirt, light fleece, waterproof, is how I usually do it in the summer.

5. GentleFlower

GentleFlower New Member

Thanks for your response! I started my chemin two days ago, and it gets 30 degrees at the hottest point of the day, but later this week it will cool down to 25, so that is good. I feel it's hot, but as I was prepared for 40, actually it's not that bad. This far I enjoy my walk a lot:)
    Once more, Rob and Leslie, thanks for your help!