1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weather In Aug - September

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Dan H, May 15, 2016.

1. Dan H

Dan H New Member

I have been reading many parts of the forum and in addition watched Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez talk about the making of their movie "The Way" on Youtube. My question relates to weather, I was thinking - maybe mistakenly that the weather would be milder and better in general for walking in August and September but the more I investigate the less I am confident of that. Has any body done the walk in this period and has first hand knowledge?

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I have walked Camino’s in the Spring, Summer and Autumn and my own personal preference is for the Spring – Especially on routes like The Camino Frances, Late Spring (Mid April to Mid May) would be my choice as the weather has usually improved sufficiently for a safe crossing of the Pyrenees, yet the weather on the plains isn’t too hot and by the time you get to Galicia the rains should have, if not stopped, certainly reduced ;-)

Another advantage is the beautiful Spring Flowers :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

James Orrock, howardd5 and danvo like this.
  3. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Thanks Rob, maybe next year as I will be starting 21 August this year so my fingers are crossed.

4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Assuming you are walking The Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port then the end of August isn’t a bad time to go either, It could be hot crossing the Pyrenees, so carry plenty of water, then things should start to cool down as you head into September and by the time you get into October, you will either have arrived at Santiago de Compostela, or nearly be there !!

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Tina-Marie Brownie likes this.
  5. Ciari

Ciari New Member

I have also walked the Camino twice in Aug. and Sept. although the second time it was from Porto, Portugal which was hot but no rain. The first time I walked 10 years ago it was rainy and cold over the Pyrannes but then it was dreadfully hot (100 degrees) near Rabanal so I believe the Camino is everything!!!!!

Lesley keft likes this.
  6. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Well-Known Member

Hi yes I walked last year started 13th Aug, . Got hit with 33deg, on the first day and not much less after that . In 35 days we only got about a day and a half on rain.
    I come from New Zealand and I found the heat nowhere as bad as the heat we get down here. Thirty deg, on the Camino is like NZ 25deg I think it has got something to do with our ozone.
    Just get into it youll be fine.
    Good luck God bless.

Tim Shepherd and UnkleHammy like this.