1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if there is no room at the Inn/Albergue?

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by joewh30, Jul 1, 2014.

1. joewh30

joewh30 New Member

Hi folks,

We're planning on starting the Camino in Burgos in September and would appreciate some info please.

Regarding the Albergues:

1. Is there only one in Hornillos del Camino? If so, can it be booked in advance? If it is full, any suggestions for an alternative please?
    2. Is there a central site or list of all the Albergues? We'd like to plan shorter walks if required by sore legs but obviously don't want to find ourselves (temporarily) homeless.

I've explored this site but the amount of info is fantastic...but a little overpowering at times. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

2. cw18

cw18 New Member

According to the John Brierley guide there is 1 other option for accommodation in Hornillos which has 7 rooms- Hostal de sol a sol. Reads as if it's at the entrance to village opposite the shop, and if full they can arrange transport to get you to accommodation in an adjoining village.

3. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

At the pilgrim's office in SJPdP in September 2012, they gave me a list of many, but certainly not all, albergues along the way. That is all I had with me as I had not heard of Brierly's guide book before starting. I had no problem at all except in one town where the only albergue was full when I arrived. The hospitalera told me of a B&B down the road and that worked fine. If that was full, I would have taken a lift to the next town and back the next morning. There is too much worry about any lack of beds. The only place I think that reservations are needed is Orisson.

4. joewh30

joewh30 New Member

Thank you very much folks. Late responding as I got locked out of the site.

And no idea why I''m a junior member either....

5. Elizabeth2014

Elizabeth2014 Member

Hi: I walked in April/May. As I recall there were several places to stay in Hornillos. That being said, I bought a cheap flip phone and a SIM card from Orange in Logrono and found it really handy for calling ahead to reserve beds -- often for a whole bunch of people. Things got really busy from Sarria onwards and a lot of places were full so it became even more important then. Some people like to just stop where the spirit takes them -- and that can be fabulous, but after the experience of arriving in Zubiri after a 23 km walk and not being able to get a bed, mattress, floor space for another 10 or more Kms, I walked in a more peaceful frame of mind knowing I would have a bed waiting for me at my destination. The municipal and some of the parochial albergues don't take reservations for beds, but most of the private ones do. I tended to prefer the RED network hostels anyway and they took reservations. The one in Hornillos does -- if you go say hello to the proprietors who did a wonderful communal meal and had us all place pins on a map of the world to show where we came from.

6. Toni2014

Toni2014 New Member

Hi, don't forget you can walk and stop between stages. This is often a good way to ensure a bed for the night rather than going with the crowd from stage to stage, as recommended in the guide books. DO buy a guide book before you get there. It's worth its weight in gold as full of tel nos for private hostals/hotels etc. You can also phone the pilgrim hostals en route to check if full. This could be the difference between staying put in the town before rather than venturing on, only to have to walk on again if you don't want to pay private rates.Toni

7. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Lots of great info already posted – I especially agree with the poster below about splitting your stages differently to as suggested in the popular guidebooks as the “In-Between” Refugio’s tend to fill up slower than the ones in the main stops.
    I also saw a lot more adverts, both on the side of the trail as well as in bars and restaurants on the way with alternative accommodation options, so when I saw one of these; I took a photo so that if I needed it, I then had all the details to hand.
    The only other suggestion that I have is that, Personally, I use the guidebooks written by The Confraternity of Saint James, but before setting off, I update it from their website, these updates often list newly opened Refugio’s
    http://www.csj.org.uk/update-caminofrances-2012.htm

Good Luck and Buen Camino
    Rob

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  8. Jesse

Jesse Guest

Hi everybody.

I recently have done the Camino and like you I wondered how hostels work because I don't like to improvise, so I found a website (www.onlypilgrims.com/en) where you can book in advance hostels, they only book bunks but for me was enough.

I booked the hostel two days before the stage and doing it so I made sure a bed for a lot of nights.

Jesse

9. mawalker1

mawalker1 New Member

I walked late May early June this year and pilgrams were having a hard time finding beds. Those that we're trying to reserve a day in advance were also having some difficulty. I didn't want to race each day to get a bed so had reservations set up the whole trek. Try staying at non guidebook towns for better availability.

10. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

I walked the Frances route last year without a guidebook. I just took the two attached documents - (1) a list of albergues with facilities available and contact details (always phone ahead to check the albergue is operating) and (2) profile diagram for each stage. Both these documents were invaluable.

I was also given a flyer by the pilgrim office that listed private albergues that conformed to certain criteria. These were reliably up to a good standard. It seemed to be "pot luck" what information was provided by the pilgrim office.

I stayed "off-stage" as much as possible, and didn't have an issue in April/May, except for one destination after Sarria.

See here to see the stages I walked.

Buen camino!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  11. joewh30

joewh30 New Member

Folks,  many many thanks for all the advice. Phoning ahead is so obvious but we were led to believe not possible! Our main concern is our first day as we intend departing Burgos in early afternoon ( a saturday) to get to Hornillos Del Camino....I've tentatively identified a park to sleep in if all comes to the worst!

12. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
  13. Dante

Dante New Member

I'm guessing that July and August are probably peak months for the Camino. If we are starting our walk in mid September, are there less crowd and so the availability of rooms is better.

14. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

yes!

ps: and I adding this to get over the minimum number of letters restrictions. BTW - is anyone else having great difficulty typing in this forum in PCs using the Windows 8.1 browser?

15. joewh30

joewh30 New Member

Much obliged....great detail in them. Now all i have to do is walk..amd walk...:cool:

16. Dante

Dante New Member

Thanks Michael. I'm not using Windows 8.1 so I can't answer your question.

17. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi, i'm using "Camino pilgrim" app in smartphone and see that in Hornillos are 2 albergues (I say - minimum, because I slept in Sarria in private albergue nowhere listed.) I think in september are 80beds together in Hornillos enough. And you can re-program your daily plan and sleep few kms before or after Hornillos too..

18. dalebob

dalebob Member

Michael
    I too use windows 8.1 and it is a nightmare to type posts to the forum. It jumps about and misses letters and you constantly have to retype your words. I don't have this problem with other programmes? Maybe Leslie might know about this?
    Regards dalebob

19. dalebob

dalebob Member

Hi Joe
    I started at Burgos in May 2013 and stopped first night in Hornillos. We struggled to get a bed in Municipal Albergue becaue we did not leave Burgos till 8-30 so we were an hour behind the 7-30 pilgrims. However we got a camping bed in the sports hall next to the Church. This is the third overfill site it was ok had facilities and a blanket as it was cool during the night. If all the beds get used they have many mats and the Sports hall is big so could accommodate many more.
    Hope this helps dalebob

20. Windewillow

Windewillow New Member

I see where people are phoning ahead etc for beds...My calling to this journey is to learn to "wing it' I am trying to use this walk to realise that I will survive even if I do not have a plan! And that There is a greater force than me...I realise that this is not popular as I have received alot of flack from a few pilgrims about my lack of planning ahead and my plan to NOT take a phone computer camera etc...I realise that they have walked the walk and I honor their experience and I may find that my way is not the best but I have my own path to walk....That is why I have been asking lots of questions about sleeping out along the way I really do not want to "call ahead" to reserve a bed! I will stop where and when I am tired and If there is no bed i would resort to sleeping out if there is no other way! I also want to spend the least amount of money so expensive hotels are out of the equation...

21. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

I too walked without phone, ipod, music player or any other techno stuff apart from a compact camera. I wanted to disconnect from homelife to get the most out of my Camino experience. I used basic albergues wherever I could and did not use any expensive hotels. Not booking ahead allowed me to take each day as it came. Municipal albergues cannot be booked ahead and are only available on a first come first served basis. At one such albergue a couple of people in the queue tried to book for themselves and two friends who were walking about half an hour behind them, but they were not allowed to do it as bookings have to be made in person. They waited for their friends but by the time they arrived the albergue was full and they had to go elsewhere!!

22. Windewillow

Windewillow New Member

Thanks Devon I am confident that I will be fine walking at my own pace seeing what I want and I will have what I need!

23. Similar to Windewillow I don't really want to be ringing ahead and being super organised during my walk, I want to try and distance myself of the whole 'But what if this or that happens?' mentality. I have never walked the Camino before and readily accept that most of the people on this forum are far more experienced than I am. I'm sure I'll make some silly mistakes, like setting off late and struggling to find a place to sleep in some town or another, but I'd almost rather deal with that problem when it comes than worry ahead of time. Maybe I am just a naive young man, but I sort of feel like they're my mistakes to make. I am going to put my faith in the Way and let my path take its own course. I've researched what to take and packed up everything I need and I've given myself ample time to complete the walk, but beyond that I am accepting that I can't plan for everything that might happen, then when it all goes wrong I'll come back here and join in with everyone else discussing ways to book places to stay!

24. BoxOfFrogs

BoxOfFrogs Member

It may be a forum cliche, but the camino really will provide. Somehow, someway you will find a bed for the night and something to eat. It might not have a hot shower and your bed might be a flimsy mattress on a gym floor, but you will be okay.

There are always new albergues, hostels and pensions opening up. All guide books are out of date the second they are printed. So ask about, if an albergue is full, ask where the next available place to stay is. You will be surprised how helpful everyone involved in the camino is.

Personally, the very fact I don't know where, and with whom I will be calling home for the night really is a highlight of the camino. It's part of letting go and rolling with the punches.

best of luck and Buen camino!

Steve

25. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
  26. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I have found this to be a very interesting thread with all kinds of differing viewpoints on whether it is “Better” to book accommodation in advance, or just to Wing It ;-)
    Personally, I have never booked up anything in advance, but can well see why a lot of people do –In Early June this year, when I walked through Arzua, entering on The Camino Norte (Where I had no problems finding accommodation) I was Shocked at how crowded the Camino Frances had become (I walked The Frances, first half in 1999 and second half in 2001, but since then have also joined it for short periods after The Camino Argonne, The San Adrian’s Tunnel Route and The Camino Primitivo) with Lots of Peregrino’s queuing outside The Refugio even though it was only 1pm.
    We weren’t staying in Arzua in any case and kept walking to Salceda where there are two private Albergue’s. On arrival (About 4pm) the Albergue we chose was unsurprisingly fully booked, but we were offered a very nice twin bedded en-suite room in the hotel for 40e (20e each) which we took without hesitation - Within 15 minutes of arriving the hotel was also fully booked

So – Personally, I do think this is a difficult one, although I have never booked any accommodation in the past for any of the Caminos that I have walked, But I now think that if I was walking the Frances again that I would seriously consider it, especially for the last 100k after Sarria, and if I was on a budget wanting to stay in Refugio’s I would plan to arrive at them as early as possible.

Good Luck and Buen Camino
    Rob
    PS – I have made this reply using Firefox and didn’t encounter any problems with making the posting

27. hunsta

hunsta New Member

Like has been said. This is a very interesting thread, but like the last 3 or 4 posters, Im hoping to give "what may come" a chance. Oh dont get me wrong Ill have a phone and if I deem it nessasary Ill ring ahead, but my journey will not be a rushed one. Im planning on taking around 6 weeks to complete the journey from start point to end. However if I deem I need a couple of days off or I feel Ill pull up short of my destination. So be it.
    Ive made a firm decision in the last day or two to go early May 2015. My only real planning is how I get to the start and how I get home.

28. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    There always is a bed if you are prepared to go up the cost ladder. From albergue "municipal", "parroquial", "privado", through private room, hostal, hotel (from 1 to 5 stars) and "casa rural", etc. it's a question of what you are prepared to pay.
    The following site may be helpful: CAMINOPEDIA.COM to avoid being plucked.

29. bitesizedtravel

bitesizedtravel New Member

Home Page:
    Thank you to everyone for posting good suggestions and alternative references. Following the lead of some other commenters, I'm attempting to do my Camino the opposite of how I normally travel - by fighting my natural urge to plan everything. That said, I'm taking the real-life and forum advice of @Elizabeth2014 (Hi, Elizabeth!) and will get a phone - with the intention of saving it for Sarria onward, if necessary. If you're out there in mid-September to early October, I hope I'll cross paths with some of you! Thanks again!