Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

What to see and do in Santiago

Discussion in 'What to see and do in Santiago de Compostela' started by walker, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walker

walker New Member

I enjoyed Santiago and found lots to do there. I pre-booked my train to Madrid and walked faster than anticipated, so had extra days in Santiago in 2004. It was a holy year, so there were many art exhibits, concerts, etc. I love the restaurant Casa Manolo. The little roasted peppers sprinkled with sea salt are fantastic. There is a shopping mall within walking distance if you need to replenish your wardrobe. There is a city park just past the busy shopping streets. The tourist office is very helpful. Staying up late was a treat since I didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn to walk. The outdoor caf?s were friendly places filled with pilgrims I had met along the way. The movie theater was showing Three on the Camino. The free meal at the parador was a trip. You take a copy of your compostella to the garage at the correct time and the first ten people to show up are led through the luxurious lobby to the kitchen cafeteria and a small dining area set aside for pilgrims.

2. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hey walker, I was there in 2004 also, arrived in Santiago in the rain...August as well.

This is crazy, but for the last week of walking last time I really, really, really wanted a Burger.

So four of us wandered into the tourist info and asked for the nearest Burger King! They burst out laughing at us. And normally at home I would only eat there when driving long distances - I just had it in my head for a week - go figure.

3. walker

walker New Member

burger

Leslie,
    When you need protein, you need protein.
    S.

4. murphydog201

murphydog201 New Member

What did the Parador serve? I forgot about that until just before I was leaving.

My first free day in Santiago was a restless one. I didn't know what to do with myself after a month of following arrows. I couldn't sit still and felt aimless. By the next day I relaxed and went souvenir shopping, wandered around the city, hung out with Camino friends, etc.. I still wasn't motivated to do real sightseeing though.

5. walker

walker New Member

parador meal

The free meal consisted of fruit, bread, soup, red wine, probably some kind of meat and veggies, and the ubiquitous flan or some such dessert. Served school lunchroom style on a tray (actually on dishes, not slopped onto the tray like some schools do now) that we carried to the pilgrims' dining area.

6. geraldkelly

geraldkelly Member

Home Page:
    Things to do in Santiago

One very interesting thing you can do in Santiago is the guided-tour of the cathedral roof. It costs ?10 and there are 2 a day at 5 and 6 pm (I think). Enquiries and bookings in the cathedral reception which is just to the left of the entrance on Plaza Obradoiro.

Commentary only in Spanish but even if you don't understand anything it's still interesting to see the cathedral from above.

Gerald

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  7. John Hussey

John Hussey Super Moderator

Re: parador meal

The Parador offers it three times a day, at each meal, for the first 10 pilgrims or so that appear. But they are not so ridgid on the number as I recall I was once the 12th person to be served for breakfast. And quite a god one it was, too. Afterwards, the route to Finisterre is just outside the front door of the Parador (De Los Reyes Catolicos). Walk down the front stairs at the entrance, turn right, go a few steps and down some more steps and viola, you are immediately on the Camino to Finisterre and Muxia, just keep walking straight ahead.

An interesting bit of history is the explanation why the Parador does it. It seems that when they asked the Church for the right to renovate the old property into a Parador, it was the Church that made it as one of the conditions, that they serve the first 10 pilgrims a free meal at each meal. I guess they were all to happy to agree. I vaguely recall that the Chutrch did this because the property to be renovated was once a "hospital" or, old pilgrim 'albergue' and i guess they wished to continue at least part of the tradition.

ricitosdeplata likes this.
  8. ricitosdeplata

ricitosdeplata Member

Is being in Santiago de Compostela on All Saints and All Souls Days a problem? According to Wikipedia everything closes down for these holidays. My father, the good Catholic that he was, died last year on All Soul
    s Day and I would like to arrive from the Via de la Plata to Santiago on November 1st to attend mass on November 2nd.

9. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator Donating Member

Devon Mike and ricitosdeplata like this.
  10. ricitosdeplata

ricitosdeplata Member

Thanks. Found the website and started reading it.

11. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator Donating Member

You could also take a look at my blog posts relating to my stay in santiago. I fell in love with the place - but I think it is a bit weather dependent! I would especially recommend the rooftop tour.

Life after the camino

falling in love with Santiago

ricitosdeplata likes this.
  12. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Active Member

During our camino in October, 2015 my wife and I stopped at a small restaurant near San Martin del Camino early one morning for café con leche. We met another pilgrim and learned that he was also from the US. He had recently retired as a physician. He mentioned to us that he walked the camino with his daughter, and she was now working at the "Pilgrim House" in Santiago. He gave us their business card and we decided to check this out when we arrived in Santiago. Shortly after we received our compestellas, we walked to the Pilgrim house, which was nearby (Rua Nova 19). It was staffed by young and enthusiastic pilgrims. They helped us print boarding passes for our Ryan Air flights to Madrid. The office is a nice place to relax and has a variety of services (laundry, store backpacks, etc). You can check out Pilgrim House on their website PILGRIMHOUSESANTIAGO.COM. After our camino, we made a monetary contribution to them since they were so helpful to us. We'll definitely check them out again when we arrive in Santiago after our second camino next fall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.