1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheelchair Accessible Hostels From Los Arcos To Burgos

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Anthony Finnegan, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Anthony Finnegan

Anthony Finnegan New Member

Hi pilgrims,
    as you can see from my previous thread I undertook the first part of the Camino Frances in a wheelchair from St Jean to Logrono last summer http://www.caminodesantiago.org.uk/threads/wheelchair-accessible-hostels-from-st-jean-to-viana.6530/

I am toying with the idea of going back in September for a week, starting in Estella (which I have accommodation for) and travelling to Burgos over the week.

I would appreciate if anyone can provide information on wheelchair friendly alburges in the following towns

Los Arcos- I know that www.lafuentecasadeaustria.com has a downstairs downstairs dormitory that sleeps 4, so this might be our best option. Are there any other alburges I should consider?

Viana- I may not stay here, unless the accommodation is suitable. The plan will be to walk/roll to here and take the bus to Logrono, as we have already completed that stretch. It would be still good to know if any accommodation in Viana is suitable.

Logrono- I know this is a large town, I stayed here before, however the hotel wasn't suitable for a wheelchair, contrary to their advertising.

Najera- Any information would help

Santo Domingo de la Calzada- Any information would be helpful

Belerado- Any information would be helpful

San Juan de Ortega- Any information would be helpful

We will then be travelling by bus to Bilbao. However we may stay in Burgos instead of San Juan de Ortega, so again any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
    Anthony

UnkleHammy likes this.
  2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    That's Wonderful Anthony – I would like to wish you Buen Camino :)

I don’t know that I can be of much further help – The link on the CSG’s page takes you to a very useful site https://www.ibermutuamur.es/camino_santiago/inicio/inicial.htm that although is in Spanish, has some good information on disabled friendly accommodation en-route.

As you will be restarting your Camion in Estella, the first page that you will need to study is https://www.ibermutuamur.es/camino_santiago/edificios/navarra.htm

You will see that some accommodation options have a green wheelchair symbol next to them, and when translating the text from Spanish to English, it would appear that this symbol represents varying degrees of wheelchair accessibility :)

It’s a starting point !!
    I wish you the very best of luck

Best Regards

Rob

3. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Hi Anthony - What good info from Rob! You might know about this already, but Wise Pilgrim's app for the Frances (and others) has some accessibility information under individual lodging, mostly related to the albergues. You probably found the Albergue Capuchinos Rocamadour in Estella that says it is accessible. In Los Arcos, Casa Alberdi is also accessible, but I'd probably stay with your original choice (I stayed at Casa Alberdi in 2015 and shared my room with about 500 fly carcasses). Not seeing anything designated as accessible in Viana (and Hostal Izar definitely ISN'T), but in Logrono, Albergue Check-in Rioja IS listed in WP accessible, and the place looks really nice. Hostel Entresuenos in Logrono is said to be accessible on WP also. Albergue Logrono is listed as accessible also, so you have options.

In Santo Domingo de la Calzada, the Hospederia, run by Cistercian nuns, is a great place to stay for a private room in a home-like/hotel set-up. As you can see online, the entrance is all level, and leads immediately to their registration lobby. Then you take the elevator up to the rooms. hospederia@cister-lacalzada.com if you want to check to be absolutely sure. Pictures on their website.

In Belorado, WP says that Albergue A Santiago is accessible. That's all I've got from the Wise Pilgrim app, but I wish you the best!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  4. Anthony Finnegan

Brilliant, that's really useful. Thanks

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  5. Anthony Finnegan

Thanks again Rob, I'll definitely bookmark this one.