Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Wheelchair Accessible Hostels From St Jean To Viana

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Anthony Finnegan, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Anthony Finnegan

Anthony Finnegan New Member

Hi,
    I am a full time wheelchair user and taking on the first week of Camino Frances in early July this year.

I would be grateful if anyone had information on hostels that are suitable, beginning in St Jean Pied de Port and finishing in Viana.

I tried calling the pilgrims office, but their English wasn't great and my french was even worse.

We plan to stay at http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/ for our second night as they have confirmed that they are fully accessible.

I am travelling with three able bodied adults, so one or two steps won't be a big issue.

Thanks in advance.
    Anthony

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Anthony and welcome to the forum

I can start you off with a few snippets – The Confraternity of Saint James has an information page at http://www.csj.org.uk/question/pilgrimage-for-people-with-disabilities/ for “Pilgrimage for people with disabilities” and this has a link to accommodation that is suitable for wheelchair users – Unfortunately the info in the link is in Spanish, however, by using Google Translate, it may be of use to you and get you set off :)

Good Luck and Buen Camion

Rob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  3. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Anthony - You have my greatest respect for doing the first week of the Camino Francés by wheelchair. Between Roncesvalles and Viana, here are the towns and albergues that I stayed in along with a few notes regarding the accomodations.

Larrasoaña - Albergue Sain Nicolás. Although I stayed on the second floor, I believe that there was a dorm room on the first floor. Reservations accepted. Excellent pilgrims meal. Email: alberguesannicolas@gmail.com

Pamplona - Albergue Plaza Catedral. Right next to the cathedral. Very modern with dorm rooms on the main floor. Very helpful staff of hospitaleros. Reservations accepted. Email: reservas@albergueplazacatedral.com.

Puenta la Reina - Albergue Jakue. An excellent hostel with dorm and private rooms on the first floor. Restaurant from the main hotel entrance wheelchair accessible. Excellent dinner and breakfast buffet. Reservations accepted. Email: hotel@jakue.com.

Villatuerta - Albergue Casa Magica. One of the nicest albergues that I stayed in along The Way. I stayed on the second floor. You would have to check with them to see if there is a first floor dorm room. Excellent pilgrim's meal.
    Email: hola@lacasamagica.eu

Los Arcos - I stayed in the Albergue Casa Abuela, but if I remember correctly, all the sleeping quarters were on the second floor. However, there also have three private rooms. You would have to check with them to see what if anything is on the first floor. Reservations accepted. Email:Contacto@CasadelaAbuela.com

Logroño - Albergue Santiago Apostol. Very modern albergue with main floor dormitories. Reservations accepted. Email:ruavieja42@gmail.com.

If you also go to the website of gronze.com, you'll find many for albergues, hostels, and hotels listed with contact and additional information.

Others on this Forum will be able to offer you the names of other albergues along The Way. Once you identify albergues that would be appropriate, you should reserve beds in advance of your arrival. For me, it was as simple as sending them an email.

I know that you and your traveling companions will have a great journey across the Pyrenees and through Navarra. Buen Camino!

4. Anthony Finnegan

Thanks Rob, this information has proved extremely useful.
    I will post anything I find may be of interest to others in the coming weeks
    cheers

RJS likes this.
  5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem Anthony, I am Pleased that I could be of some help and, YES, Please do post any information that you do find out about Wheelchair users on Camino as well as accommodation that has been specially built / adapted for disabled pilgrims

Best Regards and Thanks Again

Rob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  6. Anthony Finnegan

Wily,
    that's lots of information to get me going.
    really appreciate it.
    I will post when I have settled on my choices.
    thank you