Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Where To Start The Portugues Route In Porto

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by Andrej T., Dec 27, 2016.

1. Andrej T.

Andrej T. New Member

Hello,

I decided for Camino Portugues (Central Route) with start in Porto. I would like to avoid Porto suburbs and industrial areas. Thanks for any suggestions where to start and how to come from Porto to starting point.

Andrej

2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Andrej - My wife and I are walking the CP in April and will also begin in Porto. To avoid the industrial zone, we plan to follow the Rio Douro out to the coast and then continue north to Vila de Conde where we'll spend the night. From there the next day, we'll move inland toward Arcos, get back on the Central Route, and then on to Barcelos. If we want, we can also take the Porto Metro up to Matosinhos and start the coastal route from there. It doesn't look like going through the lengthy industrial zone will be any fun.

Colette0131 and Andrej T. like this.
  3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Like many, I obtained my Credentials from the Cathedral at Oporto and then started my walk from there the same morning.

I wrote up my trek notes on http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/c4/ and broke the walk down into manageable daily sections in the Sports and outdoor tips (Link ½ way down the page) and also reviewed the accommodation I stayed at in the “Hotel” tips – You might find some of this useful.

Best Regards

Rob

4. dalebob

dalebob Member

Hello Andrej
    I walked Camino Portuguese in September 2015 and it's a good trail. On reflection I should of taken the Brierley guide book suggestion to get the metro ride out of Porto. It's a city walk like any other but the navigation and traffic make it difficult and occasionally dangerous. If I where to walk this again I would firstly take the coastal route out dependant upon weather versus the metro route if it was going to be very windy or stormy. How ever the positive comments of those Pilgrims that took the coastal way that joined the way further north suggested to me coast route is a better option ?
    Another tip to those walking in September there is a huge feastival in the middle of the month over a long weekend in Ponte de Lima dedicated to bulls (I Think it was ?) but the whole town gets booked up and it's a very loud alcohol fuelled 72 hours of madness! Please check your dates unless you don't want to sleep.
    I really enjoyed staying at Casa Fernanda in Lugar do Corgo with the family, there hospitality and fellow Pilgrims with us made this a very special stay for me. They only can take 14 Pilgrims per night it's a great Camino experience. Hope you have great Camino. dalebob

Andrej T. and Wily like this.
  5. Andrej T.

Andrej T. New Member

Thanks a lot Rob. Do you have any suggestion where to stay for the first night in Porto (not in albergue)?

6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem Andrej - Pleased to be of help

I aren’t sure if where we stayed will be your thing as you don’t want an Albergue – We stayed at The Andarilho Hostel. Details are on http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1abb87/

Best Regards

Rob

7. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Andrej - You might also want to check out The Poet's Inn. My wife and I have a private room there both coming and going. Reviews of the inn are very good and I thought the price was reasonable. I used booking.com to make my reservation.

8. Bisnick

Bisnick New Member

Hi Andrej,
    I have now completed the Portugues twice, both in 2015 and 2016 April and May. The first time I walked from the cathedral and it was a long walk out to the suburbs and not at all interesting. This year I flew into Porto and caught the metro into the centre and visited the Cathedral and obtained my first stamp and then caught the metro out to Matosinhos and crossed the bridge and stayed the first night at the Hotel Leca Da Palmeira. It is an easy walk from there straight down to the beach for the start of the Camino. This saves a lot of time if you stay in Porto centre.
    I walked the boardwalk up to Vila do Conde for my second night then onto the Albergue at Rates on the central route.
    I would recommend the boardwalk for the scenery but would add if the weather is bad be prepared to be battered and soaked. I was very lucky as it was boiling when I walked on the boardwalk.
    If you do choose the boardwalk and use walking sticks make sure you remember your rubber ends, I didn't and my sticks kept going down the gaps and I was very lucky I didn't snap them within the first few miles.
    Bisnick

Wily likes this.
  9. Eims

Eims New Member

Hi Andrew,
    I'm just new on this and just read your post. In the event you have yet to start your Portuguese Camino and are still undecided where to stay in Porto, I have a suggestion. I stayed in a gorgeous guesthouse/hotel called Yours Guesthouse. It is central, clean, comfy and the staff are great. The food is gorgeous there too and there is a bar run on an honesty box system!

I did the Coastal route of the Portuguese camino on my own last September. It was my first camino and I loved it; every single second of it! If you like to be by the sea, it is a gorgeous route and quiet too.

Either way, I hope you have/had a lovely trip and Bom Camino!

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  10. mjfisher02

mjfisher02 New Member

I went to the link as suggested...but sadly the site ceased operations on 2/27/17.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  11. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    We stayed in a hostal near the Sao Bento Station, not far from the Cathedral. From the station we took a bus along the river all the way to Matosinhos. This avoided walking the town of Porto and the risk of getting lost.
    From Matosinhos we decided to avoid the Caminho Central for the first part and walked the coastal trail to Vila do Conde. Then crossed to Rates and North to Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Pontevedra, etc. to Santiago.

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  12. Andrej T.

Andrej T. New Member

Hi,

I have the same plane - , starting on 27th of April. :)

13. calowie

calowie Member

Or you can continue on the coastal route all the way to Vigo and then rejoin the more common route at pontevedra- gorgeous countryside along the coast the whole way!