1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Style Bike

Discussion in 'Cycling the Camino de Santiago' started by cruiser9608, May 2, 2018.

1. cruiser9608

cruiser9608 New Member

My son and me are talking about maybe doing the French Camino by bike. Which style of bike is most popular?

Wily likes this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Cruiser - The most popular type of bike you’ll see on the Camino is the hardtail mountain bike. However, hybrids are also popular and available for rental. Here are a couple websites that you might find helpful:

https://www.cycling-rentals.com/bike-rental.html#.WuoF3MopChA

https://www.bikeiberia.com/rentals/

I’ve spoken with the folks at cycling-rentals and found them to be quite helpful. In fact, the woman I spoke with in their US office has ridden the CF (on a hybrid). In part, your choice may depend on whether or not you want to ride the trail completely or do a certain amount of road riding. In any case, do check out the Camino packages they offer. Having walked the CF and as an avid cyclist, my preference would be the mountain bike over the hybrid. Buen Camino!

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    danvo likes this.
  3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I can’t really help with your question as, although I have walked a good few Camino’s and come across a plenty of cyclists while doing so, as I haven’t cycled any of The Camino routes myself, I can’t comment on which style of bike would be best.

I don’t know where you are thinking of starting your Camino, but I see that one of the Guides to Cycling the Camino Frances says “Unless you are doing the Camino as part of a pilgrimage, I would not recommend cycling the section before Leon.”

http://www.cyclefiesta.com/multimedia/articles/camino-de-santiago-camino-frances-guide.htm

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

PS – Please pop up a post and let us know how you got on as there are very few cyclists posting on here, so I am sure that some first-hand experiences would be very useful for other cyclists who follow you :)

4. cruiser9608

cruiser9608 New Member

Thanks guys. looking forward to doing this.

5. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Do you plan on keeping a blog while on the Camino? If so would you please post a link to it here.

RJS likes this.