1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

While In Spain, Eat Like A Spaniard

Discussion in 'Camino Via de la Plata - The Silver Route' started by Tyson, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Seems very few people care much about food taste on the road. Here I go. May be there are others like me

Will start on Sevilla northward. Have been inspired by the novel Alchemist and the shepherd main character. If I can find locally (what Spanish shepherds eat with extended stays outdoors), I would like to try as cultural experiences. Besides, some do become very delicious dishes in the restaurants.

I have visited Spain two times (not camino walks). I found extraordinary arrays of olives, cheeses and breads. My thoughts for lunches on the road? Will start with breads, olives and cheeses purchased locally and that will make energizing delicious lunches at for me.

Now, will love to hear your research or experiences on what Spaniards eat on the road. Must be readily available LOCALLY in small towns and villages alone the way of VDLP. Plus, any town/region specialty food items not to be missed along the route

highlander likes this.
  2. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Tyson,
    My rule of thumb is to look at what is growing, or feeding in the fields as I pass. Good chance that is what the locals eating in the evening. Some fantastic food and wine along the way, especially around the Douro river north of Salamanca.
    Enjoy your Camino,
    Sean,
    Dublin

highlander likes this.
  3. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Can't say I am great at knowing what the locals eat, but I like the food in Spain - well most of Europe really.

I loved the selection of fish that always seemed to be available.

4. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Are fishes fresh along VDLP? What wines did any of you tried and liked?
    How about different varieties of cheese, olives and bread you liked? Bocadillas?

5. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Sorry @Tyson i had to delete the last post you put up due to copyright issues. About.com would just give me grief.

If you want to post some text from other websites, it is best to link to them and tell others what the page is about, or paste here only a small snippet. Thanks

6. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Appreciate it. I did not the policy. Will post my own organized items after I research.

7. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Thanks, I just try to avoid future grief.

Tyson likes this.
  8. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Here is what I gathered variety of cheese along VDLP in the regions of Andalusia, Extremadura and Castile/Leon. Any experiences you have, please share.

I plan to make bocadilla or baguette sandwiches with these for packed lunched while walking from Sevilla to Salamanca
    In the neighboring region Castile/La Mancha has the most famous Spanish cheese - Manchego

Andalusia: Alpujarras, Pedroches, Cabra Payoya, Zuheros
    Extremadura: La Serena, Ibores, Torta del Casar, Quesaílla, Acehúche, Siberia extremeña, Gata- Hurdes, la Vera
    Castile/Leon:zamorano, Valdeón, castellano, Burgos, Tiétar

9. ricitosdeplata

ricitosdeplata Member

I have not been on the Camino so I am providing information only from reading and cooking shows. Pimiento de Padron are a small pepper available from late May sometimes until as late as the beginning of November. They are a variety of small peppers fried in oil, sometimes stuffed with cheese. Not sure if this is just a tapas item. Saying goes "some padron peppers are hot and some are not." Not sure but recalling a similar saying in English.
    Also read about caldo gallego, a soup of greens, white beans, potatoes, and chorizo.
    Pulpos a la gallega, octopus seasoned with paprika is also another dish.
    These 3 dishes are from Galicia so I don't know if you will find them farther south.
    ¡Buen provecho!

Tyson likes this.
  10. vinsman

vinsman New Member

I have walked the Camino Frances twice. The food is delicious. It depends on where you are in the country as to what will be served. The same is true with the wine. The national grapes of Spain are basically for red Tempranillo and Garnicha.