1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are you doing the Camino?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Khal, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Khal

Khal New Member

A new thread to ask to post your story. Here's mine:

Spent a long time in horrible circumstances (too long to get into). Now that I am finally free I feel I need to thank God and to also free myself mentally and spiritually. The camino for me will be a big healing and thanking God time. I hope it will be all I want it to be!

2. Supertramp

Supertramp Guest

Similar position with myself Khal, except I'm not out of the woods yet. The aim of my camino is to return to the stable, safe and positive place both mentally and spiritually that we recognise as whole, you could just say I've lost my balance.

I'm agnostic in the sense that I believe everything happens for a reason, we have a plan or a journey that we must fulfil but this doesn't necessarily rest in the hands of a Christian God. In this sense, my current predicament is part of that journey, although at times you can question the reason for such personal negativity. This negativity that I refer to is a hole inside me, an emptiness that arose roughly 6 months ago, that simply hasn't been filled.

I hope the camino can offer me some insights, heal my imbalance and steer me away from current destination towards a more positive outlook, whilst meeting lots of fascinating people, enduring a tough physical challenge and exploring a sense of God. In essence, I think the majority of pilgrims can in some way relate to this.

I endeavour to embark on my journey this summer and quite frankly can't wait to see what develops along the Way.

Terry Wilson likes this.
  3. Mgregoire9134

Mgregoire9134 New Member

Personally, I grew up as a timid and shy kid. I would put a lot of pressure on myself but I would let challenges pass by for a number of reasons. I became jaded before I finished high school. However, I have put effort into becoming outgoing and active. I feel like this pilgrimage will help me achieve a life experience that I will remember for a life time. I want to prove myself that I can meet and finish challenges. Also, I would like this to be the stepping off point for future traveling, and to see life outside of where I live.

4. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member

Just wanted to get right with G-d. I have not been right for a long time. I heard about this trail and it immediately spoke to me. I knew that I had to do it. I spoke to people who did it. They all said something happened, but it was personal, so they did not elaborate too much. Someone told me not to have expectations. I suppose, too, people are 'called' to it. A rite-of-passage meeting some movement of the soul toward its own healing.

5. OllieSilv

OllieSilv New Member

Just to get away from modern life, to find a point to it all.

I want to slow down, to take in the beauty of being alive, to let go of everything.

No ipads, no tv, no business, no gossip, no career ladder, class struggle or need to prove anything.

Just a man, walking. Not really for god, or spirituality, or anything 'higher'. Just walking.

I just want to go back to being human again!

Diane Compton and veronica like this.
  6. digigian

digigian New Member

It’s a good question; but harder to answer then we think. It could be for many reasons we are aware of; but again, we may not fully aware of the real, real reason(s). The reasons I’m aware of are the hope of experiencing the un-experienced, perhaps a revival of my Catholic upbringing, a test of my physical fitness and mental endurance and last, but not least, make a movie of this wonderful personal endeavor thinking of my grandchildren. digigian

7. housesitternichols2012

housesitternichols2012 New Member

It's about the journey, not the destination. This is an opportunity to live in the now and be open to each day without expectations. We humans "unfold" in new territory where the senses are awakened with unfamiliar sights, sounds, smells, and tastes. It is stimulating to meet new people who will walk the same path very differently as we share our own unfolding. If we are honest and open the Camino will provide an opportunity for "the sleeper to awaken." I fully expect to meet some of my old demons (perhaps unrecognized before) and have the opportunity to release them (or at least to strick a truce). I know that I will be challenged. I must be prepared to meet them. Every day I am grateful for this opportunity and on May 23rd, it will begin. I hope to meet many of you nad to share our journey. Namaste.
    Lee Nichols

8. Spanderholic

Spanderholic Guest

I'm 20 years old, I'll be 21 by the time I make it to the Camino (hopefully next May! :D) and I will have just graduated uni. For me, it's not about religion, it's about going on an adventure for myself. I want to travel about and be in a low stress environment that is far away from home. I think it sounds really calming which is something that appeals.

9. GregIrvine

GregIrvine New Member

So here's my deal. I'm 51 and been working my whole life. I've picked up too many bad habits along the way. I'm retiring and need to purge myself of the worldly influences. The Camino is my springboard into the next phase of life. It will be the beginning of many new and exiting adventures. Anybody interested in joining?

10. joannegaudet

joannegaudet Guest

One year ago this month I was diagnosed with cancer. By the grace of God I am still here. In 3 weeks my daughter (only child) will be getting married to a military man who is in for "life". She will be traveling around the world and starting her family. It's time for me. I am out of shape, over weight and I am still smoking. The doctors told me if I don't make a serious change, the cancer will return. I am not ready to leave this world just yet, afterall I'm not even 50. I want to walk the Camino for myself; spirtual, health, accomplishment and yes, adventure. I have started preparing myself by dieting and exercising in hopes of meeting Spain sometime next year.

FlinFlonwalker likes this.
  11. jorge4442

jorge4442 New Member

I'm doing it in Sept. Right now I'm doing it because it's there and I know it. I want whatever experience it brings to me. I'm closer to the end of my trail than the beginning so a life, well lived is all I'm trying to do. I feel sure there will be a spiritual component as well as many challenges both mental and physical. Can't wait! Bueno Camino

12. Don Shaw

Don Shaw Guest

I'm going in mid September. Looking to refocus my life after loosing my life's partner for 43 years to cancer last year. I'm planning on taking the whole pilgrimage. I will take as much time as it takes - have no schedule. Will let the journey itself dictate how much time.
    What are your specific plans?

13. DeadFred

DeadFred New Member

Simple question ... complicated answer simply put ..being pulled by some unseen galactic force . Just have to do it . Gonna do it .. can't wait to do it!

Last edited: May 19, 2012
    Diane Compton likes this.
  14. mlmw

mlmw New Member

All of these reasons resonated but OllieSilv yours perhaps most of all. I feel I have lost the threads which used to be very real connecting me to Spirit. And I miss feeling that. I used to be happy with my Self and my life, but I feel like I am just treading water in a world that has abandoned me for not being young enough, thin enough, or rich enough. I know I have worth even if the rest of the planet finds me obsolete. I just wish I could leave tomorrow and start walking and see what happens. Buen camino to everyone!

15. pastorsharon

pastorsharon New Member

My husband and I plan to walk in May/June 2014. My reasons for this pilgrimage are:

1. Celebrate God's creation up close and personal.
    2. Push myself WAY outside my comfort zone.
    3. Discover and celebrate a Christianity that is beyond my own cultural and historical perspective.
    4. Get away and let God restore my soul.

Even though we are still two years out, I intend to begin practicing the journey -- physically, emotionally, spiritually -- from this day on.
    Buen Camino!

16. cherylpatton

cherylpatton New Member

Dublin, Virginia & Rogersville, Tennessee
    Seeking a miracle. I agree that some of those things we need healed are pushed so deep, we don't always realize everything we'll deal with. As a friend said, "I think you're going in order to gather the missing pieces." (Thank you, Jayme!)

Cheryl

17. niallohagan

niallohagan New Member

Probably be a while before I do it but the reason is my dad died ten days ago and it was something he had talked about so me and my mum are hoping to do it

18. cw18

cw18 New Member

I'm not expecting to do it until September 2014, but am starting to train and plan next month - which will have to include learning Spanish, which will be a challenge by itself as I never grasped a foreign language when at school :eek:

Trying to explain to family (children of 12, 23 and 28) why I want to do this has also been a challenge, as 'just because' doesn't wash with them.......

The best I can come up with it wanting some space 'to be me' and 'to challenge myself'. I've spent my life as (in this order) daughter, sister, mother, wife, grandmother, aunty and now widow - but have only ever had 18 months 'alone' which was between my youngest moving out for uni and my middle one moving back in on a temporary basis (expect it to be for at least a year while he sorts out his finances). And that could well be immediately followed by the moving back in of my daughter along with her three girls as it would be easier for her to find somewhere to rent while she's on the spot (currently over 30 miles away and doesn't drive). The 18 months was good for me mentally, but I couldn't totally tune into myself as I had a dog that was dependant on me and also worked Monday thru Friday (meaning weekends were spent catching up on things around the house and spending time helping out/visiting family).

19. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

Hi cw -

I have always had a hard time with languages too. Some months back, another member of this Forum recommended the Pimsleur Approach to learning Spanish. You can get an introductory set of CDs for $10 that will give you a good idea about the program. I did it for Italian and was amazed at how easy they make it.

I am now studying the full Spanish program in earnest. It's great !

20. grayland

grayland Member

It is nice to learn some Spanish...but not at all necessary. Don't let a lack of Spanish create any stress while planning your trip.

English is the common language among Pilgrims. The French talk to the Germans in English...The Swedes to the Italians...etc...etc.
    Many of the local Spanish and the Spanish Pilgrims do not speak English, but the common needs and activities make it all very easy to communicate even without a common language.

Again..very nice to have a little Spanish, but not something that will cause you much trouble if you do not.
    Buen Camino

21. Paddymclovin

Paddymclovin New Member

There are severely reasons to walk the Camino, but when we do begin the Camino we are ready. “When the student is ready the teacher will appear” (Buddha). The time came when I was at a crossroads in my life and I stopped moving forward. When my father died as a result of complications due to Alzheimer’s there were a lot of issues that were left unanswered. So I walked the Camino wearing my father’s old hat to form a link with him and it made a difference. Do not expect your life to change right away or when you walk into Santiago de Compostela that you will be changed for life, but rather enjoy the good and bad experience along the way. Remember that when you walked the Camino you placed one foot in front of another and you achieved your goal. So when life gets tough just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. The angels of the Camino will guide you.

22. daperdave

daperdave New Member

Maybe it is Okay not to know why you are walking the Camino... Just to have the desire to complete the walk may result in a new revelation about yourself when you reach your destination. I think there may be some who know why they are walking the Camino but are afraid that "Their Reason" may sound foolish to others, so a more logical reason is announced to friends and family to make the trip Okay with them. And finally, for some it will be just because it is there..

veronica likes this.
  23. grayland

grayland Member

I have noticed that someone will ask others the question of "WHY" often on the Camino. Often as soon as they start talking to someone.

I have also noticed that it is not really well received by most people, including me.
    People will tell you in a conversation if they want to discuss it with you.

24. daperdave

daperdave New Member

I will keep your thoughts in mind as I make my first journey along the Camino later this month...

25. BlackDog

BlackDog Member

Unfortunately, I tend to give them a rude reply if 'Why' is their 1st question. With a more rounded discussion I may give them a reason.

26. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

Yeah, I think you are right, dave. It is Okay to "not know" why one walks, for exactly the reason you describe. As well, some reasons are intensely personal and just not ready for sharing. And if a person wants to walk just because it is there ... buen Camino !

I really like what you are getting at. It captures so much of what a person sets out on pilgrimage for ... the hopes, the fears, the simple challenge ... and leaves open the joy of discovery. Very well said, sir, very well said !

Opening a conversation on the Camino with the WHY question is certainly rushing things ! But just as certainly, it can be understood as part of human nature. Someone who is beginning a walk of discovery will want to know what others are there to discover, and in their excitement, they may blurt out the WHY question.

Accepting this, there is an instant between when the question is asked, and when the response is expected, that we have to decide how to answer.

Ouch.

Dave ... I appreciate your honesty here ... but is there not a better answer ?

------------------------------------------

27. BlackDog

BlackDog Member

Why the ouch :confused: Being rude can be many things, do not interpret it as abuse. It actually has some humour to it but it is rude. I consider 'Why' as an initial question to be impolite and deserving of some correction :(

28. Ronda

Ronda New Member

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

29. EagleAK

EagleAK Peach

You are ready and more so you deserve anytime for you. Walking the Camino is plenty reason by its self, come join others who will embrace your decision and will support you along the way. Hope to meet you on the Camino.

30. EagleAK

EagleAK Peach

" go for it! Get well and make the decision to live! Hope to see you on the Camino! It is amazing what happens when you take that first step!"