Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Why are you doing the Camino?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Khal, Jun 16, 2010.

1. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    When I started the first time I didn't have the faintest idea of what to expect. It happened to be a nice hike and incited for further initiative.:p All following ones turned out to be "interesting hikes", culminating in Santiago where the atmosphere is second to none.:)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  2. stevelm1

stevelm1 The Happy Peregrino Donating Member

Home Page:
    For some reason I was pulled to this thread today (it was several likes by yaka). It's an old thread that was active right before I went to Spain. I have been home over a year now and thought I would follow through on some discussion from above concerning why I/we walk the Camino.

It turned out to be a deeply spiritual experience for me. As I approached Cruz de Ferro I was filming how I was feeling and talked about how the rock I was about to toss on the pile did not have that much meaning for me. By the time I got to the top of the hill I was quite unexpectedly emotional. I tried to capture some of what I was feeling there but was crying too much to talk. I went to the top of the hill and added my rock then walked away from there and really thought about what had just happened. I got to a point where I thought I could talk without crying and started filming. It was in that moment that I finally understood why I was on the Camino. It was both a revelation and a transformation like none I had ever had. All from the significance that I put into that pile of rocks.

I have made a movie of my walk and this experience is captured in Chapter 8 if you want to see this emotional realization unfold.

Cruz de Ferro was a very strong spiritual moment for me. Oddly I felt almost nothing walking into the square at Santiago.

Many of my friends and family thought that this walk would draw me back to religion. It turns out that I have always had a fascination with the Catholic Church as my Father and both siblings are Catholic. I am not because my Mother decided I should be raised Lutheran. So I studied up on the Catholic Church before I went. I even called a couple of Priests to see if it was cool for me to take communion. (It was not). To get to the point, after my walk across Spain I am more convinced than ever that religion does not call me. I started as an atheist and walked into Santiago an atheist.

One of the major lessons I learned on the Camino was tolerance. I would at times mock religion and the religious before the Camino. I have much more respect for both now. Just one of the many ways the trail changed me, and oh so many others.

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  3. mjfisher02

mjfisher02 New Member

I am a lapse Catholic. Severely. Even though when I was younger, all I wanted to be was the Pope. lol I know. I think losing faith was peer pressure driven. After all , I was like 12. But I never stopped believing, just practicing. Then one sad January day I was informed by my parents that my cousin...practically brother...was killed halfway around the world by accident. It was a dark time in my life. Suicidal even. Then one day I was at the bookstore. Just so happen to be walking down an aisle and a book binder caught my eye. It was 'Off The Road' by Jack Hitt. So, I bought it and feel in love. Little did I know they was a movie adaptation. Love it too. I could relate it a lot of things that happened in it...what I could see through my tears.
    Lots of things have happened in my life that has led me to this moment in time. Even if this post has an infinite character limit, it still wouldn't be enough.
    I guess to sum up the reason why is simple to say but not so simple to explain. It maybe more suitable for another forum also. But I am doing this because something or someone has told me to without even saying a single word to me.
    And if he is reading this from up there, thank you and I love you.

Wily and danvo like this.