Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Why I Quit

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UnkleHammy, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Active Member

Morning Hindsfeet, thank you so much for your response. Yes it is true what you say that we think what does it matter what others think, but sometimes the overall feeling which comes from knowing what they think can affect how you feel about yourself as well. Linda is certainly amazing and even more so the fact that I have never met her and she contacted me to walk with her - I know that she is now my Camino Angel and I am forever grateful before my journey even begins. Yes I am looking forward to meeting sweet Ginamarie as well and so many other pilgrims along the way .... so many things to look forward to.... so many vinos to contemplate :D

2. Jose

Jose Active Member

UIKEYINPUTRIGHTARROWUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrowUIKeyInputRightArrow

3. Jose

Jose Active Member

Dear Unclehammy,
    As one of the elder pilgrims (as far as age goes, not wisdom) and moving quickly towards a January birthday which will ring up 75 I really appreciated the honesty and candidness of what you wrote. I did a pilgrimage here in Mexico, shorter than the camino, but tough, long days and after the first day due to horrible, stupid shoes I had brutalized my feet and a doctor said I could not continue. I lay in my sleeping sack that night (everyone slept outside in January) and asked what is the meaning of this and it came to me that maybe I needed to accept the reality of not being able to continue. I believe that was one of the big lessons for me on that pilgrimage. And I think that is an honorable lesson and maybe all I needed from it, all I was supposed to get. Just wanted to share that.

4. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

Thanks very much Jose. I would venture to say that there are some younger folks who do not make it to the end, as well as some older than us who do make it. From what I read, it seems that acceptance is a pretty basic take away from an effort like this. For the moment, I have come to see my personal effort as a last go at pushing my extreme physical edge...hopefully I will do it with grace and a huge measure of that 'acceptance'...and take buses where I cannot walk!

5. Jose

Jose Active Member

I like what you write, Kim! It´s brave to write ¨last go.¨ I think I must have a little denial about think ¨last.¨ Although, honestly, when I was sort of considering the Camino months ago it did hit me that maybe I should just do it now since who knows what is around the corner next year?

6. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander Well-Known Member

I have to say, when my wife and I went in Sept. 2015, we ran into more of the 'elder' pilgrims than younger, and I was impressed and inspired by so many of them. They had a grace and stoic resolution that so many young people could learn from. Yes, many had aches and pains...but have to say, it isn't always advanced years that add to that!!!! My past life in the military seems to have aged me!
    There are many lessons to be learned on the Camino. Some are happy and uplifting, some are a little sad. But they are still the lessons we are suppose to learn.

7. Jose

Jose Active Member

Dear Canadian Wanderer, I agree. The lessons we need to learn have this change talent of being able to find us!

Greg Canning and UnkleHammy like this.
  8. Canadian Wander

You can not hide from your life, seems like everywhere you go...there it is!

9. Paloma

Paloma New Member

Jose, walking the Camino isn't easy especially as we get older but at least you tried and did as much as you felt you could. I too felt the judgemental attitude when I wasn't quite up to walking the distances other walked but hey, they need to grow up and stop and smell the roses. I'm doing it again (although a different one) and doing it "my way"! Buen Camino!

UnkleHammy likes this.
  10. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

That is one of my favorite lines Canadian Wander.....WHERE EVER YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE! It has always encouraged me to NOT run away, but to deal with, manage and change areas in my own life. Until you love who you are, live with a clear conscience, be a good steward of our earth and all that we are blessed with, to have a forgiving heart and to be kind, rather than right all the time....it is hard to feel free and at peace. When this takes place in our lives.....life just seems to get better all the time!! :D

11. Canadian Wander

I did struggle after I left the military, a loss of identity in a way. Took a while, and the joy of my wife, to teach me I am who I am....not what I am.
    The Camino helped with that little lesson.

12. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

There will certainly be more adventures...but walking 500 miles is pushing the edge for me even now...I will more likely be doing shorter walks and more of them...I don't see a rocking chair in my near future...this is probably one of those celebrations of "transition!" And my family in France will be welcoming me and my cousin and I will walk through the hills where she lives to get in step. So many people are so richly energizing and encouraging...they will lift my feet when I think I cannot!!!!! See you possibly...buen camino

13. Jose

Jose Active Member

Nope no hiding!!!

14. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

@UnkleHammy I'm sorry for your experience on camino. I walked Camino Portugues, from Porto, with my wife, and - I don't know why, maybe because it is too short in compare with C. Frances - it was different camino for me. There wasn't atmosphere like I remember on CF... So... every Camino is different, not only The way, but other pilgrims, amount of pilgrims... but important is - it is always your camino. My first camino I walked alone, I communicated little with others only in albergues.. It was great. There wasn't place for someone to "discard" my camino. And this was maybe your case - you allowed other people to get a "poison" to your camino. My recommendation - go again, with your wife, slowly. If I remember correctly, longest part without albergue is ca 15km (except Pyrenees, there it is 19?km from Orrison to Roncesvalles). Walk by your pace, enjoy each other - and doesn't care of opinion of anyone else. Nobody can walk "in your shoes", so if someone has a problem to accept that 75-y old man can use bus or train for few km, it is not your problem. And maybe you will meet someone, 80-y old, walking your pace, and you (all) will enjoy life and good spanish wine along the way :)

15. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Danvo - I agree, the CP was a bit too short! When we got to Santiago, we were ready to keep going. But, it's the timeframe that fit our schedules this time so it was fine and well worth doing. I, too, had two very different experiences on these Caminos. One wasn't better than the other, they were just different. As we made it "our" Camino, it became special because of that. I found there to be plenty of atmosphere along the CP, but because we walked very early in the season, there weren't too many other pilgrims compared to the number on the CF. But, that's also a positive. As I said in a post just yesterday, I had the same Camino-like experience as I did the year before although there were some differences. Walking with your partner is a very special way to experience a Camino. If possible one should try both walking alone and with a significant other. I plan to do both again. Buen Camino!

16. Omar504

Omar504 New Member

Unfortunately there are those on the camino who have fixated ideas of what you must and must not do. In 2005 my danish friend and i met an earnest pilgrim on the vdlp who asserted that you were not a true pilgrim unless you stayed in alberques...we both spontaneously laughed in his face.
    You dont have to stay in albeques,leave at 5am rustling plastic bags,eat the same pasta and cheap wine every night,race for a bed etc. And,please can we dispense with that hackneyed phrase it's your camino...its NOT!..What you do affects others..have some consideration

Crepes4Suzette, danvo and UnkleHammy like this.
  17. Rainyday woman

Rainyday woman Member

Unklehammy, I'm saddened to hear of your experiance on your recent camino. I am glad to find out what happened to you. I havent seen any posts from you in while and was beginning to worry. A feeling which took me by suprise because I have never met you :) but your advice and knowledge in this forum have been very helpful to me. I kind of feel like you and others in this forum are my actual 1st Camino family. I just wanted you to know that you will be dearly missed if you choose not to participate any longer.

Best wishes to you and your wife

Rainyday

18. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Rainyday thank you for your thoughts. I have been enjoying talking, or is it typing? to all of the members of this foreum. I will probably still participate here for a long time to come. But I will probably not return to the camino as a hiker again.

Like you I worry when I "lose" one of my forum friends. I have always enjoyed my/our conversations here.

19. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Rob, that sounds like a wonderful walk!! Could you recommend someplace to find a route map? Maybe you made your own hike? I have my eye on the "champing" endeavor going on in Scotland for pilgrimage in addition to the John Muir Way.

20. UnkleHammy

C4S glad to hear from you again. The JMT is about 1 1/2 hours away from Fresno. If you are flying into Fresno, I would be glad to drive you up to it so that you can walk it. Then I can retrieve the worn out body and return it to the airport.

21. Crepes4Suzette

Unkle Hammy, so good to hear from you! I've been off-forum for awhile. If I understand your experience correctly, my experience on my first Camino was similar and had to do with feeling disconnected and alienated. There had just been a string of serious assaults on women and I was very concerned about safety, which turned out to be not an un-valid concern. When I made several planned side trips and bus/train-aheads to keep within a time frame, I lost all of the friendly initial contacts from the first 5 days. I thoroughly enjoyed the monuments-and-history, the beauty of the many hiked sections, and the pleasant conversations I had with people listening to their stories and learning about their lives. It was enough, as it sounds as if it was for you. By the end, I just felt alienated after there was no one to be in connection with for long periods of time. I felt really adrift and disconnected. It helped to run across kind people for some connection, but it can be difficult to do these alone for many reasons. When I participated in the "other forum", it seemed not uncommon that people walking alone got online for some human connection, and I've heard several people speak of feeling this sense of disconnection and alone-ness among others. I think it is part of this for some.

I got your PM, and after get back from dinner with Hubs, will respond. Again, so glad to see you again! I'd hate to not see you here because you are a piece of what makes this Forum a warm and supportive place to communicate, and you are missed when you are gone!

Ginamarie, UnkleHammy and hindsfeet like this.
  22. Crepes4Suzette

That just sounds wonderful, and I thank you so much for the offer, Unkle Hammy. They want you to get permits to do the John Muir in California, which I never seem organized enough to, but I may still someday. The one I'm talking about in the post above is in Scotland and is named after John Muir because he was born in Dunbar on the coast East of Edinburgh. It goes from Helensburgh, passing Loch Lomond, passing the way to Stirling Castle, going through Falkirk where the Wheel and the Helix are, and generally along the coast which sounds like a good walk. There are some ruins and some manor houses to see. In Scotland, they're working on a new-ish project to develop a pilgrimage trail a little like the Camino (perhaps like the Peace Walk seems to be developing after the same concept). It will cross the present John Muir Way between Edinburgh and St. Andrews, making use of the churches along the way as albergues. I guess people will sleep in the church basements? Its still kind of in the planning stages, but it sounds good to me.

hindsfeet and UnkleHammy like this.
  23. UnkleHammy

It sounds like a civilized type of hike. The JMT is all wilderness with none of those nice Camino places to spend the night in. Have fun.

hindsfeet and Crepes4Suzette like this.