1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Is My Backpack Still Packed?

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Jose, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

My packback is here in the entrance to the house. And it is still packed. My shoes are next to it. My poles leaning against it. My pilgrims´passport open on top of it. My hat. The Compostela. I finally realized this morning that this was a sign I just wasn´t quite back yet from the Camino. This is a bit of a process, re-entry. And it´s not so easy. Even though I have the most supportive environment thinkable. Still, I am finding myself going inside myself to some path, some albergue, a little town, a mountain climb. Fog, rain, sun. How to let go of all of that?

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Jose – I have a “Tip” for you

Start planning your next Camino – There are Plenty of routes to choose from :) - Then you will have something to focus on.

But – Be Warned – Camino walking is Very Addictive

Best Wishes

Rob

3. Waka

Waka New Member

It's telling you to put the backpack on and start walking:)

Gerry Vandermaat and hindsfeet like this.
  4. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Do we ever finish a Camino?

5. Waka

Waka New Member

I think when you've completed one, it's only a matter of time before you step out for another journey

6. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Our very clean backpacks are back from the dry cleaner. They did a terrific job and even wrapped the backpacks in plastic. My wife gently washed her gaiters in the washing machine. We've discussed clothing changes - she wants one or two merino wool Icebreaker shirts. I will retire my Patagonia shoes and already have a new pair of Merrell Moab high tops to break in. My wife and I are not debating whether we'll go on a third camino. Rather, we are discussing what time of year. At issue is whether we'll walk our third camino again in the fall, or switch to spring timing. Bob

7. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Jose

Isn't it wonderful how the Camino catches hold? All those great memories and fantastic experiences and lessons that we get to carry with us. I would never want to let go of it :) .

As Rob says, planning for the next one is one way to ease the pain and participating in the Forum helps too.

Buen Camino

Greg

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne likes this.
  8. Maureen3

Maureen3 Member

Hey Jose! I’m sure that it’s really difficult trying to “re-enter” after walking the Camino for 30+ days. I only experienced it for six days, yet I dreamed about the Camino every night for two weeks after returning home. Now that I don’t dream about it anymore, I too, “go inside myself” to recapture that feeling of serenity that the Camino experience offered. Those of us who can conger up these magical memories at will are very lucky…don’t you think?
    Maureen

hindsfeet likes this.
  9. Maureen3

Maureen3 Member

Now if I could only "conjure" up my memory to spell correctly!;)

10. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Having completed our second camino just one month ago, I am now dreaming about the camino at least once per week. Bob

Maureen3 and UnkleHammy like this.
  11. oldman

oldman Oldman Donating Member

Its a sure sign you enjoyed your Camino. My gear is cleaned and repacked with everything but the poles and boots sitting in the press, beside the pack with the poles attached that I use at home . The boots I returned to the shop for my money back , worn out after 77 hours walking the Primitivo

Greg Canning likes this.
  12. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

Jose, please never let it go...any of it. I still cherish the piece of my soul that completed and adventure I never would have imagined myself completing. I loved every minute, including the wretched ones and however long it takes you to unpack will most likely depend on when you actually trip over the pack and decide it needs finally to be sorted and put away. And as with all experiences, it is the ones who shared it with you who will understand it like their own breath. They will continue to see its amazing reality in the way you see life through this different filter. And continue along 'the way' that is your crazy wonderful life!

13. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

Oh thanks, Kim. I am totally with you. It was an experience I never will be able to forget. My poor partner has to listen me suddenly interrumpirnos a conversation or coming out of no where to say something about those experiences. I am very proud of you that you completed it. And amazed at myself, too! Buen Camino......

14. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

Es lo mismo aqui!

15. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Active Member Donating Member

Tocayo @Jose
    Hahahaha ! Your Backpack is still packed because you know you will be going back soon !
    Same thing happened to me after my 1st Camino , Now I am preparing for my 4th Camino.
    And yes! Like RJS said . The Camino is additive !
    Buen Camino Amigo !

16. anniem

anniem Active Member

Indeed!

17. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    G'day Bob,

My wife and I walked inn the Spring 2015 (April/May). It was wonderful - the colours were marvelous.

UnkleHammy and Greg Canning like this.