1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wicking shirt, quick drying, lightweight

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by joe, Apr 23, 2011.

1. joe

joe Member

So I bought a Craghoppers High wick shirt which is fast drying and lightweight. I tried it out today and just got back home after 4 hours of walking in the Peak District. I was expecting sweat patches, but not the amount I had today, I had wet patches under the backpack straps, all over my back where the backpack was (even thought my backpack has air ventalation framing), and under my armpits (which I expected). Is that normal?

I mean, they did dry pretty quickly after about half an hour of resting (just leaving light armpit patches), but I was just wondering if that's what they were made like? It felt kind of embarrassing having that amount of sweat patches... and I didn't even feel that sweaty, or hot as I wasn't walking fast or tiring myself out, so I don't understand how that much sweat got through lol.

2. Covey

Covey Active Member

What you found is quite normal. Under the straps there is no air movement to "wick" away the moisture. Male Pilgrims sweat, Da Ladies perspire and French Ladies "glow" but then they are French!! but the real test is how quickly your high wick shirt dries out compared to say a cotton tee shirt. In the evenings, my Berghaus shirts take about 30 minutes to dry after being washed. A cotton tee shirt will take at least 90 minutes. QED.

El Condor 2014 likes this.
  3. Covey

Covey Active Member

Joe........... have you got your EC Health Card which is issued by the NHS.. This gets you free treatment in Spain at any hospital, BUT NOT repatriation to the UK if you are very ill or injured. For repatriation you need normal Travelers Medical Insurance.

4. joe

joe Member

EHIC (European Health Insurance Card - aka E111)... yes that was one of the first things I sorted out when I booked my flights... I've never been abroad before, and was wondering does the travel insurance you pay for with your airline cover health insurance and medical costs? Because I purchased it to be on the safe side, it was only £10-15 I think. As it was quite cheap I thought that maybe it just covers your costs for lost or stolen luggage, or something that happens in case your flight is cancelled or something related to the airline. I really don't have a clue. But I have the EHIC as well so I should be okay.

I'm glad the sweating thing was normal... it was weird because when it dried it didn't smell of anything except the deodorant I put on this morning, I was expecting with that much sweat there would be a horrid smell to accompany it. It just makes me feel a bit awkward and ashamed having that much sweat... but if it's normal then I guess I wont be too bothered about it while in Spain.

5. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Hi Joe ~
    I don't know quite what the weather is like where you're at, but given that it's spring outside I'm assuming it's cooler now where you're at than when you'll be walking in Spain. I'm wondering about the shirt that you bought. Is it long or short sleeved? Does it have a collar? Is it lightweight? Is it something like this: Craghoppers - Technical t-shirt ? Note the amount of cotton in it -- shouldn't be any (takes too long to dry). This is more the kind of t-shirt I wear: http://www.rei.com/product/795701/nike-legend-dri-fit-crew-t-shirt-mens .

The technical t-shirts that I wear are quite lightweight -- almost like not having any shirt -- so I hardly sweat at all when wearing them. Essentially they are shirts that a runner, like a marathon runner, would wear. Is that what you've purchased and tried out? I'm starting to think, by your description, that you might be wearing something that's too heavy.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  6. joe

joe Member

It was around 20 degrees celcius today when i was walking, it's been pretty hot here for spring. I'm not sure which shirt it is, but it has a little label saying "Solar Dry" haha, apparently not in my case! It's made from the wicking material, it's long sleeved but I rolled the sleeves up, it has a collar too, I even had the top 3 buttons undone. But still it just got sweaty, it started to dry really quickly when I sat down to rest for 10 minutes, but after 45 minutes of walking again it was back. And then it was completely dry after about 30-40 minutes of not walking. It was the first time I have walked with my backpack and carrying 9kg, so that may have had some effect.

It didn't feel heavy at all when it was wet, and it feels really light compared to any of my normal shirts. But it's a grey colour and the patches of sweat stand out being dark grey! I was thinking of maybe getting a couple of black ones and taking them haha

7. joe

joe Member

Oh, it wasn't a t-shirt, it was a long sleeved, button up shirt... don't know if that makes any difference. I tried one of the t-shirts I bought and the sweat didn't come through too much, just under the arms. But I wasn't wearing my backpack when I tried that one out. All the clothing I've bought only has about 5% cotton and I imagine that will just be the stitching, they all said high wicking, lightweight and quick drying.

8. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    Joe, I think your shirt is too heavy. I can't remember what time of year you're walking, but a button-up shirt with a collar and long sleeves is likely too much at least in June/July/Aug. Too much really for a 20c day, of which there are plenty in May and Sept, too.

These are the layers we usually recommend: a) technical t-shirt, b) fleece jacket, c) rain jacket. That gives you lots of warmth when needed and the layers can be taken down by steps until you're wearing just the t-shirt -- which is basically there for sun protection and, well, modesty (unless you're into showing off your 6-pack). IMHO there's really no need for a nice button-up shirt like you've tried out except perhaps for dress-up.

9. joe

joe Member

It weighs about 300g (which is a little heavy compared to the t-shirts I have), but I thought I would buy it for the evenings, and for mass in the Cathedral and churches. I have a rain jacket and fleece which are both lightweight too so I should be okay for the rainy/colder days. The technical tees are really light and I don't sweat much in them (I wore one for a BBQ last week when it was 23c and I didn't sweat much, just the usual under arm, but even that wasn't much), a good anti-perspirent deodorant should help too.

10. Covey

Covey Active Member

HuskyNerd is right of course about the material (and everything else except sticks and ciggies!!!!)

I use Berghaus "technical tee's" which are 100% man made fibre and I have found them to be excellent for walking in hot weather. I carry 2 short sleeve and one long sleeve and carry a Craghopper shirt like yours for the evenings, and a Craghopper Fleece for warmth.

Make sure that whatever you buy to wear during the day does not have a seam on top of the shoulders, as a seam can rub with the pack shoulder strap and cause sores!

11. Covey

Covey Active Member

Joe......Travel Insurance.

Make sure that your travel insurance covers the whole of your trip!! You mentioned elsewhere on the Forum that you were going to extend your stay by another week, so you need to make sure that your insurance still covers you.

Often the standard travel insurance policies issued in the UK cover a single trip of up to 30 days. I have an Annual Travel Insurance Policy which covers me for multiple trips of up to 60 days so I am covered for my annual 8 weeks "Camino Period" as well as when I am working in Europe.

12. joe

joe Member

Thanks Covey, I'll have to sort out my travel insurance then as I'll be taking 7 weeks for my Camino (49 days), so it's a good job I asked the question!

13. unadara

unadara New Member

Joe
    All my t shirts for walking are 100 % poly, dont go with the cotton %, with the technical fabric you dont see the sweat! not on mine anyways....ha. I have a helly hansen 10yrs, long sleeve navy white chevrons down sleeves, still going strong, i like long sleeve to keep a bit of sun off?. I wouldn't carry a t you cant wear all day and wear at night also, same ones should do job. I only hope to bring 3, same as covey, one long , 2 short, have you got used to new socks yet, am interested because I have a drawer full of good socks but am tempted to go the 1000 miles route...
    Una

14. Covey

Covey Active Member

You can use the 1000 Mile socks which have a built in liner (be careful on their web site as some of their socks do not have liners!) or just buy a liner sock which is very very thin and goes next to the skin.)

I used to use Smartwool socks but found they kept my feet too hot in July to Sept in Spain.

15. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    Have to agree with Covey that Smartwool are too hot for summer in Spain. We don't have 1000 Mile Socks in US (to my knowledge) so would be interested in other folks' lightweight suggestions.

16. Covey

Covey Active Member

17. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    Thanks, Covey. Never thought to check Amazon, and they're available there. Peace ~
    Sandy

18. Juani Bella

Juani Bella New Member

Hiya,

Im in Brazil at the moment in a tiny town with no access to sports sotres. Im going to barcelon a for a few days before doing the camino. Anyone have any ideas on where I can buy these ulta high tech wicking shirts, light fleece etc in Barcelona??

Thank heps,
    Juani

19. Covey

Covey Active Member

If you are going to Barcelona to see friends, ask them to find out where the hiking shops are. I was in Barcelona last Christmas and do not remember seeing any suitable shops in central Barcelona.

If you are going to Barcelona as an entry port for the Camino, you are the wrong end of Spain!. You would be better off arriving in Spain at Madrid.

20. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    Try the Decathlon store there: Decathlon | Store/Shop Map | Barcelona | Frommers.com . El Corte Ingles will also have shirts and perhaps pants that will work. The items are common -- they're simply workout gear for the gym or for running/jogging. Buen camino!

21. Juani Bella

Juani Bella New Member

Thanks heaps for your help. I'll give that a go. Just visiting family before hitting the camino, then Ill head to St Jean to start in a week. Buen camino to all!

Juani xx ;)