1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter Camino Video Diary

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Paddymclovin, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Paddymclovin

Paddymclovin New Member

For many new to walking the Camino the big question is what are condition like from January to March. This video diary I came across on YouTube is of a couple with their six month old baby as they begin to walk the French way on January 1[SUP]st[/SUP] 2013. As a veteran of the French Camino it’s great to follow their progress and relive my Camino following their highs and lows. This is the link to the first video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h1ZvOZCmXs

There is an Irish TV series on at the moment about the Camino and is accessible online on this link below. While the series is in Gaelic (Irish Language) there are sub titles in English, it does give a good insight into the Camino. Follow the link below and the series is called ‘Ronan ar an Camino’.

http://www.tg4.ie/ie/tg4-player/tg4-player.html

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. clearer_skies

clearer_skies Member

Home Page:
    Hi Paddy..
    I am following the family on their camino. I cannot fathom how he can carry 30kg on his back! It is something else watching them walk into Foncebadon and through the snow and wind. Fair play to the little child!

I watched the Camino series on TG4 also and felt a little let down. I don't think it gave an accurate account of a pilgrims day. It was really geared to those who have not been before. But then again, there is not much you can fit in 4 programmes of 30 minutes each.

David

3. toadoftoadhall

toadoftoadhall Member

I think on day 8 or 9, he mentions being in the Marines or something. Thats why.

4. Paddymclovin

Paddymclovin New Member

Hi David,

Just seen the next stage into Ponferrada and the sun came out clear blue skies and it reminded me of the highs and lows of the Camino. Think he does a lot of core training and yoga to help him with 30kgs backpack. They could have been a little bit more prepared because he left home without boots and bought a pair in an Alida Shop. If they had used this discussion form they could have saved themselves a lot of hassle, but they are doing great now on day 29.

The Camino series on TG4 was really for entertainment purposes and I got the impression he skipped Burgos and went straight to o'cebreiro. Also the backpack looked like it was empty. It was a bit of fun, but what gave it away that he really did not walk the Camino fully from SJD was it the last 100km he was still complaining about the walking. In reality a person is fit after 4 weeks of walking and 20-25 km is not as hard as it would have been in the first week.

Still it is great to watch the family on the Camino so much so that I may do the Camino de North in April I could have three weeks in between job contracts. Just hope and pray it works out I had to cancel the trip last Autumn.

5. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

Hi
    Its Normal for a soldier to carry 50lbs (22 kg). and in some case up to 90 kg. the Canadian infantry in Afghanistan carried 110 kg, assuming from drop off to a base point.

so combinations of 40kg 50kg and 60kg is the norm....I carried 30kg for a reason on my first camnio........firstly I am very used to carrying that load in mountains. the rucksack itself is heavy and designed for abuse

there are no surprises for carrying weight on the camino, you not in the wilds and can even do it without carrying anything ,just use the carry on service ....

looking at the chap carrying a baby would throw me, with a heavy bag you just switch off and walk. what my seem unrealistic to some people would be the norm to a huge amount of women who have to walk hours with water balanced on there head day after day.

a child swung on there chest working the land.........and not for getting those women and elderly folk who have to walk unfed and displaced hundreds of miles.

a modern pilgrim is kitted out with gore-tex or similar. never far from help or shelter , we are the kings of the road,.

I saw a man last year bent over walking a few days in. when I caught up with a Doctor on route and mentioned that he must of fallen over. he looks in pain........it turned out he was really on his last legs...with a terminal illness, struggling along all day.

The doctor said he will most probably die well before Santiago and he had fallen also......that is heavy weight to carry mentally

6. Mark Lee

Mark Lee New Member

I did the Camino this past summer. I did not find it to be a very "technical" hike. A great part of it was on paved, semi-paved, or roads/paths that were improved or well-trodden. Yes, there were areas that were 100% unimproved and I imagine would be much more difficult to walk in bad weather, when the path becomes muddy. Pretty much you are never far from potable water and it is east to stay hydrated, and food is always readily available in the towns be they large or small. You don't need a heavy pack in the summer and you don't need heavy, high hiking boots and thick hiking socks. In fact, it seemed to me on other pilgrims I observed, boot and sock combinations like that caused more blisters. I wore a pair of trail running shoes and the thinnest, synthetic running shoe socks I could get. Blisters were small and minimal for me. Vaseline on my toes every morning helped this as well. You don't need a heavy pack. I dare say that in the summer one could easily do the Camino with a 10 kilo pack. Less is more on the Camino, and the lighter the pack, the more enjoyable the Camino experience. Less time dealing with the blisters, shin-splints, sore feet, backs, knees, etc.