1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter scenes in Navarra

Discussion in 'The Weather' started by clearer_skies, Dec 29, 2014.

1. clearer_skies

clearer_skies Member

Home Page:
    fitzcarraldo likes this.
  2. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

Cleare skies.

Lovely Photos. at least they have improved the path before Alto del Perdon that was interesting trying to find a foot hold after it was badly damaged in a storm....and then your stand there taking photos at Alto del Perdon and then moving on downwards discover a 15 minutes trek down a mine field of stones.which is fun in the snow...nothing like a bracing wind up there...I thought about sleeping by the statue/ cross, the noise of those wind generators put me off...nice view point and lovely in the spring time up there....

fitzcarraldo likes this.
  3. highlander

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  4. highlander

roncesvalees a.jpg ron b.jpg posada.jpg NOT MY PHOTOS. sort the pilgrims out from the rest..seen it when the snow falls of in slabs from the roof walking back to the albergue through the arch.....

fitzcarraldo likes this.
  5. lucymi

lucymi Member

Great photos David and Highlander, thanks for sharing them. I don't think I'd be up to doing the camino in these kind of conditions, I don't mind a bit of rain, but slogging for days through snow and ice isn't for me. I do admit I prefer the spring/early summer.

6. highlander

Lycymi
    Those I put up are not my photos I would like to add on this thread.......if the snow condition is right, not frozen over and not very soft, it is like walking on firm sand...some people are just made for winter walking or snow sports and others prefer not too.....if the camnio was barren of people I would not walk it. it would not appeal to me. I do not find any of the walk in anyway challenging on the Camino. I prefer high mountain treks no paths navigating all the way......up there I prefer no people or the odd one here and there.

I like snow scenes, and in very remote areas your be rewarded with wild life.....on the camino when I wild camp away from light pollution the senses are rewarded, and the night sky is amazing. your miss another angle when your in a hotel or albergue...at night..and for me I have done years of barrack block sleeping with zoo like noises(even three tier high bunk beds)...sometimes depends on the people I go inside...

I took a pilgrim to Scotland after the camino this year 2014 for a weeks wild camp and she loved the difference....the KOREANS who like to venture out in the winter on camino make me smile they really give it a go......in the snow.....people mention people die in snow conditions. more die in summer conditions.....anywhere anyplace

sometimes its a case of crossing the road without looking and you take a chance...there is a science to snow and how it builds.taking a slab test for ascent & decent in mountaineering for evaluation is a skill not simple to learn...because of many factors. there was a man who died of a brain tumor who was the most belligerent person you could meet until, snow talk.. and respected all over the world....from high altitude climbers to walkers doing a sortie in the caingorms hills....in snow conditions.....I took a flight from New Zealand to his bedside in Inverness Scotland. a great teacher who taught you without you really knowing it. one of the very few who learned there craft the BC way(before computers and you tube videos)..so many know how to use technology yet have little idea how they work...take a GPS a dangerous trust relying on only being able to use one of those things if you do not have excellent winter navigation/orienteering skills. in winter walks or remote walking....before this becomes a book.....not my photos.very nice to look at

7. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Here is an interesting travel advisory I received this morning. Quite a challenge for any pilgrims walking through La Rioja and Navarra. Bob

Spain: Maintain flexible itineraries during ongoing snow-related disruption

Category: Snowstorm, Road disruption

Last Updated: 07 Jan 2018 01:47 GMT

Members undertaking road travel in the country in the coming hours should plan journeys accounting for disruption caused by poor weather conditions. The state meteorological agency (AEMET) has warned of heavy snowfall across several autonomous communities, particularly La Rioja and Navarre, as well as Asturias, Basque Country, Cantabria, Castilla-La Mancha, Castilla-Leon and the capital Madrid. Heavy snowfall has disrupted public transport and led to significant congestion on multiple routes, including on the A1 highway north of Madrid, the AP-6 (Castilla-Leon), the AP-68 and A-12 (both La Rioja) and the A-15 (Navarre).

UnkleHammy likes this.