1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

women's boots for short wide feet with bunions

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PeggyCanada, Feb 10, 2015.

1. PeggyCanada

PeggyCanada Guest

I live in Canada and wear women's size 6 width 2E. I'm having trouble getting a hiking boot or hiking shoe that is wide enough. Currently I am trying to break in New Balance 1569 size 6.5 width 4E without much luck even after having had it stretched. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

Hi Peggy

I do not know the brands you have in Canada.
    However, off the top of my head "Berghaus Explorer Trek GTX" light weight Are for wide feet and require no breaking in...try both Women's and Men's.....they also do a upper in leather

also Meindl Philadephia lady GTX walking shoe (WIDE FIT)

as you know brands differ slightly and with a leather upper you can have them stretched more...

you need to really scout round the manufactures and check out there spec. and visit the more specific outdoor shop.....not the big chains.
    if your a serious outdoor walker/hills/long hikes in uneven terrain etc...you could consider having a pair made.....this way once the upper has soften you can re-sole twice providing you have not worn the sole beyond a certain point. which works out a better economy in the long run.

a mid height boot such as the BERGHAUS EXPLORE TREK GTX would be my first suggestion....and visiting in person the more specific outdoor shop....

Scarpa can make footbed modification for you.....

just to eliminate some thoughts.

1)did you have your feet measured properly and at the right time of day. to allow for complete swelling of the feet. late morning -after midday even better.to obtain the most accurate data

2) socks. "coolmax" for example have cushioning in the right places yet are fairly thin.

3) Have you tried a Man's boot....it sometimes works....

It would be of real use to know the successful outcome for everybody on this forum.....

update---Meindl Matreil lady GTX.

Waldlaufer shoes for women. looks very good,just checked out there site(it's in the UK)but you can still contact them......they have been around a very long time.....and specialize in wide footwear for walking
    they do D+ Euro G/Euro H...EE/Euro K/ EEE and Euro M

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  3. highlander

Hi Peggy

Back again I ran out of time to include this information in a edit to my previous post

OK just checked again.type in www.waldlaufer shoes.com......they have USA dealers....and do worldwide shipping.

I clicked the link on the main page to "visit waldlaufer German website site"then clicked below on "all products" and saw the Hayo walking trainer x 2 types and Hayo mid-height boot x 1. then the holly trainer x 3 types

looking at the boot it does seem very similar to a Meindal with another name tag on it

4. highlander

Peggy again

found a site in Canada.......www.sears.ca who claim to do the wide fit, I checked out your size on the fitting scale.worth a look.......seen two pairs of columbia trekking shoes on there.....

and it occurred to me Merrell Moab mid- height-both the waterproof and the ventilator trail are also recommended......from another source

5. Maya Grandmother

Maya Grandmother Active Member

Good morning, I also live in Canada and I have the scarpa which I bought in MEC. My size is 6.5 and I took a 7. You can also buy a bunion cover from Dr.Sholls I believe. I have been pleased with the scarpa but the real test will begin April 1 when I start the camino Frances.

6. travellin' light

travellin' light Member

Hello Peggy,
    I have been trying on lots of boots recently and Merrells have extra wide fittings. They were unfortunately too wide for me. I also have a bunion and caused me some pain on Camino Frances last year. I am looking at a bunion protection sleeve for this year's Camino or having the pesky problem surgically fixed.
    Buen Camino.

7. akshay ortho

akshay ortho New Member

I needed new travel Orthotic sneakers and a pair of comfortable dress shoes for a trip we are taking this summer. Orthofeet was recommended by my Physio Therapist. The website is easy to navigate and the ordering process was simple. The delivery took a little longer than I expected because I am in Canada. I did have to pay customs fees as well. But the shoes are great! They fit true to size and they are beautiful and VERY comfortable. Very happy with my purchase.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  8. akshay ortho

akshay ortho New Member

I Love my new slippers! They are so comfortable. They run a bit big, so I had to return the size 8 for a 7. Fairly easy return process and prompt service from the Orthofeet. Repeat purchasing will depend on the rest of my experience, receiving and product quality. Toe of shoes seem to scuff through black finish easily. Other than that I'm pleased. Hope it will reblacken okay. I need slip resistant shoes quickly. I usually don't recommend any type of product, so that is why I gave a lower rating there.

9. davebugg

davebugg DustOff: "When I Have Your Wounded"

New Balance has the most generous foot last models in wide widths than most manufacturers, so you are in the ballpark if you like NB footwear. Let me mention a couple of things.

Look at trail runners with fabric, rather than leather, in the uppers. During my equipment testing for NB, I found that, even in extra wide widths, fabric models -- which have a lot more flex than leather -- tended to not only feel wider, they actually were a bit more wide. It has to do with the thickness of the leather or sueded material vs the fabrics that are used, which impinges on the interior width a bit.

What about your socks? A thickly padded sock is not necessary for either blister prevention or comfort. A merino wool sock for hiking, lightly padded, not only gives a better shear force friction protection to the skin (the cause of blisters) because of less potential sock movement, but they also dry out much faster at the end of the day from sweat, after getting wet from rain, or after washing.

What kind of insoles are you wearing? The thicker the insole or orthotic, the more need to get a shoe that is longer in measurement. That could mean an additional size to two sizes over your normal foot measurement.

Personally, I think the New Balance 910 series of trail runners are worth exploring for fit and feel. They have terrific traction, a flexible 'rock plate' which protects the bottoms of your feet by getting poked by rocks and other debris on the trail or path, a good level of cushioning, and above average motion control.

When trying on a pair at a store, make sure to bring your loaded backpack, your insoles, and the socks you will be wearing on Camino. When measuring your feet, wear the backpack and socks and while standing, center your weight over the foot being measured. Even better is to do all of this toward late afternoon or evening when you've been on your feet all day, and they have had a change to 'spread out'.

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  10. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

My wife walked Camino Portugues in Merrell sandals without any problems. Camino Frances is "sandals friendly" too (except few kms down from Pyrenees and from Cruz de ferro)

UnkleHammy, Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  11. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Danvo - Which sandal did your wife wear? I agree with your observation that the Portugués and most of the Francés are quite sandal friendly. Hiking here in upstate NY, I switch between my Moabs, my trail running shoes, and my Tevas (it all depends on the terrain, the conditions, and the type of workout I’m doing). For a sandal, I really like Tevas’ Omnium 2 Leather. On reasonable trails in dry conditions, this has been very comfortable footwear for hiking both with and without socks. My only real complaint about hiking in sandals are the small pebbles that I tend to pick up. But, that aside, the sandal due to its openness certainly deals with the moisture issue that is problematic for some. Buen Camino!

https://www.teva.com/

Crepes4Suzette and danvo like this.
  12. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Wily, she wore Merrell Jacardia ( https://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Jacardia-W-Womens-Jacardia-Sandal/dp/B0781SFS8V?th=1 ). On my first camino (Frances) I used ca half of the way my Moabs (comfortable but with some blisters), then Teva Terraluxe (comfortable, without blisters). Second camino - with my son (Frances) in Teva Terraluxe too - they died in Finisterra :( Last camino with my wife I walked in Teva Terra Fi4. I walked with socks (somebody say that it ruins his image, but on 900km trail is "image" on the last place.) because I don't like that dust/sand under the feet, but there was only few situations when I stopped for taking that small pebbles out. Overall - no problem. Teva Omnium 2 are (for me) closer, (I really like open sandals, but I know that I "must pay" for this comfort, when I pick some pebbles...) but I think they are good solution for problems with that small pebbles. (Opened or semi-closed - comfort is most important, isn't it? ;) ) Buen Camino!

Crepes4Suzette, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.